Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
mtemm
Doubly blessed
Ever just have one of those days?
I occasionally make a split breast for dh

pre-ordering from amazon?

my son is so excited about the new percy jackson book and is using some of his allowance to buy it when it first comes out. I offered to pre-order it on amazon for him since our nearest bookstore is a bit of a hike and a pain to get to.

I have never pre-ordered a book from amazon before, so not really sure how timely I should expect things to work. I do not want to pay extra for shipping, and in fact opted for free shipping (added a book for me as well in order to get it).

now I am wondering if he is going to have to wait a week or more after the book's release to get it. has anybody pre-ordered a book before and opted for the free shipping? was it a good experience? bad? fast? slow?

Am thinking perhaps I should just cancel and bite the bullet and make the drive to the brick and mortar store instead. normally I wouldn't care about a delay, but he has been so excited for this to come out for so long, I know it will be awful to have to wait!
mtemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Hidden_Mickey
DIS Veteran

I haven't done it with books, but when we order DVD's from Amazon, they arrive on the day of release. Amazon Prime is a wonderful thing No dealing with crowds or traffic or wondering if the item you want will be sold out at the store. No spending $ on gas. Just get home from work and there it is, at the front door.
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
iheartdisney
DIS Veteran

No worries! I have preordered several times from them. i am a Prime member, so i get free two day shipping, so I've never had to worry about that aspect.
But they ship the book/ game the day before it comes out so it arrives on release day. And if the price drops between when you preorder it and when it ships, they will automatically drop the price, and when it ships, send you an email letting you know they did so.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

I am NOT an amazon prime member, and have preordered things lots of times..but if you don't pay extra for 2 day shipping..or overnite, you won't get it the day it's released..it's usually 2-3-4 days later, and using the free super saver sometimes takes up to a week! You can go to the order and change your shipping method if you want to pay extra and get it that day!
Old 09-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
mtemm
Doubly blessed

thanks! I may just do it. just thinking about fighting the crowded road to get to the one bookstore in the area...ugh....
Old 09-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
Piglets Mommy
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

It's been a few years since I pre-ordered a hard copy of a book, as I now have a Kindle, but I pre-ordered a couple of the Kingdom Keepers books, and they both came the day before the actual release date. I just did regular shipping (but they have a warehouse 45 min from me...not sure if that made a difference)
Old 10-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Pre-ordering with Amazon is a great thing to do. I would always pre-order a couple copies of my books just so I could find out when they were shipping.

Depending on the publisher, some may actually ship SOONER than the release date, so he may have it before. I've gotten several pre-orders that way. Big releases, like Percy Jackson, I think you'll probably receive the day it releases. I know when I pre-ordered Mockinjay, I got it that day.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
mtemm
Doubly blessed

my sister ended up getting it for him with her prime acct, and it came the day BEFORE it was due to come out. his face was priceless when he got home from school! (I made sure he did his homework before showing it to him, lol)
Old 10-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
TheIncredibles!
Winner (?) of the Crazy MIL Award!

I pre-ordered Harry Potter books from them and they were always delivered on the date they were released. Not shipped on the release date. This was before I was a prime member too.

I have a Kindle now and any pre-order is delivered to the Kindle on the release date sometime during the night.
TheIncredibles! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
jlima
Beep Beep!

We consistently receive books 1 - 2 days before their publish dates. But we have Amazon Prime.

Port Orleans Nov 91 (Honeymoon!) • Dolphin Nov 99 • Dolphin & 7 day Magic cruise July 01 • HRH & Poly June 04 • HRH May 05 • West Coast Magic Cruise June 05 • HRH Sept 06 • Wilderness Lodge July 07 • West Coast Magic Cruise June 08 • HRH & Coronado Springs Dec 08 • HRH, Wilderness Lodge & 6 day Christmas Magic Cruise '11 • DL AP holder since 1989!!
jlima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

We have Prime and pre-order video games and Blu-rays several times a year. We always get our items on release day.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid

once again I'm prime so I get them on the release date the awesome thing with amazon and preorder is if the price goes down from what you pre ordered it at you'll get a refund and pay the lowest price. I did this with the advengers dvd and got 11$ refunded to me after it shipped.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

If it's really such a pain in the neck to get to the bookstore (not to mention the cost of the gas) wouldn't it be kind of a trade-off to pay a few extra bucks for faster shipping?

Having said that, I have never paid for shipping from Amazon. I figure a way to qualify for free super-saver shipping. Last Saturday I ordered a water filter and a cd with free shipping, it arrived on Tuesday. That's hard to beat
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:33 AM   #14
swimchick1984
Mouseketeer

I didn't even know that this book was released. So than kyou for this thread. Now need to go back to my room and download the book.
swimchick1984 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: