Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
NotSnowWhite
Earning My Ears
 
NotSnowWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 19

Is there a way to check cabin availability?

Hi Everyone,

We will be cruising on the Wonder on October 28th. I have read where people have "checked" to see how full there cruise is at any given time? Is that possible? If so can someone please provide the link?

I was just curious as to how full the ship is at this time.

TIA!
__________________
~NotSnowWhite

Me DH DS (12)DD(2)
NotSnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,338

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSnowWhite View Post
Hi Everyone,

We will be cruising on the Wonder on October 28th. I have read where people have "checked" to see how full there cruise is at any given time? Is that possible? If so can someone please provide the link?

I was just curious as to how full the ship is at this time.

TIA!
AFAIK, the only thing you could find out is if you are able to book a room in any category by doing dummy bookings online.

Cruisefish will give you the percentage of categories that are still available, but no how many rooms.

__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
NotSnowWhite
Earning My Ears
 
NotSnowWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
AFAIK, the only thing you could find out is if you are able to book a room in any category by doing dummy bookings online.

Cruisefish will give you the percentage of categories that are still available, but no how many rooms.

Ok, great! I was just wondering if there was a page on the DCL site that displayed that info.

I appreciate the cruisefish tip!
__________________
~NotSnowWhite

Me DH DS (12)DD(2)
NotSnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
kindsoul73
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 145

Hi, I'm on that cruise too. I think it is about 70% full.
kindsoul73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
chateau
DIS Veteran
 
chateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 827

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindsoul73 View Post
Hi, I'm on that cruise too. I think it is about 70% full.
This is where the numbers on cruisefish confuse me.... they have her cruise (on October 28th, 7 nights Mexican Riviera) as 70%- which I read previously was 70% NOT full. Someone please explain cruisfish's numbers or they mean nothing!! Thanks!
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,338

Quote:
Originally Posted by chateau View Post
This is where the numbers on cruisefish confuse me.... they have her cruise (on October 28th, 7 nights Mexican Riviera) as 70%- which I read previously was 70% NOT full. Someone please explain cruisfish's numbers or they mean nothing!! Thanks!
It's my understanding that the numbers indicate the percentage of CATEGORIES still available. Not the percentage of rooms available.

So, as long as one room of each type is available, it will be 100%. If all of the rooms within a specific category are booked, the percetage will be lower.

__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
chateau
DIS Veteran
 
chateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 827

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
It's my understanding that the numbers indicate the percentage of CATEGORIES still available. Not the percentage of rooms available.

So, as long as one room of each type is available, it will be 100%. If all of the rooms within a specific category are booked, the percetage will be lower.

Now I get it! Thanks!
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
gunka
DIS Veteran
 
gunka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 658

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
AFAIK, the only thing you could find out is if you are able to book a room in any category by doing dummy bookings online.

Cruisefish will give you the percentage of categories that are still available, but no how many rooms.

What about the IGT/OGT/VGT Rooms? Do they put aside a certain number of cabins to accommodate the rooms that have these bookings? Would that increase or decrease the "available" rooms?
__________________
Disneyland Resort Veteran - Feb 2012 Wonder Mexican Riviera - Sept 2012 Wonder California Pixar Cruise - Oct 2013 Wonder Halloween Bahamas Cruise
Myself, DW, and DD(5)
gunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

Cruisefish says on their site that they do NOT show number of cabins available. THey state that is proprietary info belonging to the individual cruise lines. What they show is the percentage of cabin CATEGORIES available to be purchased. They do not differentiate between an ability to purchase a gty room or choose a room number. Thus, if DCL is still selling a category, it will be reflected on cruisefish as available. If they show 70%, that means that 70% of the categories are still available for purchase, NOT that the ship is only 30% full. Say that there are 10 category 11C cabins, and 9 are sold--Cruisefish will still record that category as available. Now make it more complicated--say that all 10 are sold, but DCL is continuing to offer that price point--yup, it still shows up as available.

There is no way to get accurate info as to how full a ship is (that I know of) unless a DCL CM tells you. You can get an idea by trying to make a fake reservation. If the web shows 2 cabins to choose from instead of 7, you know there are only 2 left. If it shows 7, you have no idea because those could be the only 7 or there could be 77 more!

OK, if you wanted to be totally compulsive, you could enter each stateroom number and see if you could book it. Even that wouldn't tell you how full the ship is because there could be gty bookings (or IGT/OGT/VGT) that haven't been assigned to cabins yet!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,338

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunka View Post
What about the IGT/OGT/VGT Rooms? Do they put aside a certain number of cabins to accommodate the rooms that have these bookings? Would that increase or decrease the "available" rooms?
I would think they are just accounting for whatever categories have been booked. Regardless of how the booking occurred.

They might "assign" those rooms starting from the lowest within the type until the type is full.

I don't know for sure how they do their calculations. I only just found out about them.

__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunka View Post
What about the IGT/OGT/VGT Rooms? Do they put aside a certain number of cabins to accommodate the rooms that have these bookings? Would that increase or decrease the "available" rooms?
The IGT/OGT/VGT will only impact the "available" categories if DCL chooses to quit selling a category based on the number of these bookings. No, there are no "public" set asides done in any way that cruisefish can access them. DCL's internal system knows that these bookings are out there and is designed so that DCL can't oversell a type of cabin or the entire ship.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #12
TheWescotts
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 319

You can call DCL and ask. Sailing on the 14th on the Dream. When I called to check on something 2 weeks ago we were 2/3rds full. Today I called to check something else. 96% full.
TheWescotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #13
Angelic Jennifer
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWescotts View Post
You can call DCL and ask. Sailing on the 14th on the Dream. When I called to check on something 2 weeks ago we were 2/3rds full. Today I called to check something else. 96% full.
This seems odd, considering how steep the Florida Resident rates are right now ... Also, Cruisefish is reporting 93% for your cruise, so I'd be surprised if 96% of the ship is booked. Ask a different CM, get a different answer, though, so who knows?
__________________
Jennifer
Angelic Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Jennifer View Post
This seems odd, considering how steep the Florida Resident rates are right now ... Also, Cruisefish is reporting 93% for your cruise, so I'd be surprised if 96% of the ship is booked. Ask a different CM, get a different answer, though, so who knows?
You are aware that Cruisefish is reporting on the percentage of CATEGORIES still available, right? Not the percentage of rooms. So, as long as at least 1 room is available in every category, Cruisefish reports 100% availablility.

__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #15
Angelic Jennifer
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
You are aware that Cruisefish is reporting on the percentage of CATEGORIES still available, right? Not the percentage of rooms. So, as long as at least 1 room is available in every category, Cruisefish reports 100% availablility.

Yes, but it still seems odd to me that the percentage could be that high if 93% is still available. With such high booking (96%), it seems likely that all the cheaper categories would have sold, reducing the percentage of category availability.

Also, I'm going on the cruise one week after that one. Main dining just became unavailable about a week ago. You can still get to the port by 1. Palo brunch is still available, as are ressies at palo and remy every night (except pirate night for Palo).

Those facts, along with the discounts being offered, make me think no way the ship could be at 96% capacity a week before, without there being a holiday to artificially inflate the numbers.
__________________
Jennifer

Last edited by Angelic Jennifer; 10-03-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Angelic Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.