Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
tink20
DIS Veteran

This was a story on our local news

Our local news did a story about an elderly man (86, also has one leg) who accidentally overpaid his cable bill. He has been a customer of this cable company for 25 years, and has been paying his bill online. The bill was for $64.53. He paid his June bill and forgot to put the decimal. So, they deducted $6,453.00 from his bank account.

He called to tell them of his mistake, they said their policy is to just have a credit on his cable bill account, they don't give refunds. So, it would take 8 years for him to use this credit. He would be 94 years old. UNBELIEVABLE!

So, he has been trying for 2 months to get his money back.....no luck.

Anyway, after the nice little news story, guess what? Now they decided they can refund the money, the news said they would stay on top of it and let us know when they do.

Shame on them, if I were their customer, I would cancel my subscription.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Shame on them! I dont care if I was 21 I would still want my money back if I over paid that much. Crazy.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

My dd works at a local business which is one number off of the cable company's phone number and even more unfortunately, the name of the business sounds similar to the cable company's name. So she gets a lot of calls for the cable company and end up hearing their tales of woe because they launch right into them before she gets a chance to correct them.

Most of them are from senior citizens who are having billing problems. Many of them are crying on the phone due to these bills. They have had the wrong amount automatically deducted from their checking accounts in many cases. In all of the cases, the cable company refuses to issue refunds and instead gives the customer a credit. Like the guy in this story, some of the amounts are so large it's unlikely the person will live long enough to "enjoy" the credit. (She's heard these stories so often, she refuses to have any bills automatically paid out of her own checking account.)
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
kamik86
DIS Veteran

Wow... I can understand why companies have this policy for over payments of small amounts. It takes time to bother cutting a check to the person and mailing it to them and that costs the company money. Plus by the time the company did this and it arrived in the mail it would be half way through the month anyway, so if the next month bill would correct it no problem.

But when it would take 8 years its ridiculous not to have an exception to this policy. Actually if I read the op right and this guy is paying online at the companies sight I would say the company is idiotic for not having a smart enough website to not have taken that payment. My Credit card company for example will not let you overpay what has been fully processed by more then $50. (If this was an online bill pay through the banks website though then I have to take this last part back)
Old 09-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

This just confirms what I've known for a long time: most cable companies suck.

(seriously, what is it with cable companies? When my Facebook friends complain about something, it is usually the cable company! )
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink20 View Post
Our local news did a story about an elderly man (86, also has one leg) who accidentally overpaid his cable bill. He has been a customer of this cable company for 25 years, and has been paying his bill online. The bill was for $64.53. He paid his June bill and forgot to put the decimal. So, they deducted $6,453.00 from his bank account.

He called to tell them of his mistake, they said their policy is to just have a credit on his cable bill account, they don't give refunds. So, it would take 8 years for him to use this credit. He would be 94 years old. UNBELIEVABLE!

So, he has been trying for 2 months to get his money back.....no luck.

Anyway, after the nice little news story, guess what? Now they decided they can refund the money, the news said they would stay on top of it and let us know when they do.

Shame on them, if I were their customer, I would cancel my subscription.
Shame on the cable compay.

JKMJ441724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

The cable company was most definitely in the wrong and I'm glad they gave him the refund but I pay every bill I have online and have never paid the wrong amount so some of the blame is on the customer too. Every single website I pay my bills on makes you confirm the amount and payment date with a secondary submission. The point of that step is to actually confirm that both values are correct.

I suspect the original customer "service" rep was just reading off of a script which is inexcusable. Look at every situation and make a rational determination even if it against the script. If you take the human thought element out of the equation you might as well just have a computer doing the work.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

There is more to this story. He wither was not talking to the right person (probably just the service rep who answered the phone) or else he was yelling and screaming at them. There is more to this story. He could have also contacted his bank to help correct the error. I suspect most people would have been able to resolve this issue on their own.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I have noticed that with my own elderly parents, well, they're not wuite as "sharp" as they used to be and things that used to come quite easily to them are now quite difficult.

Something like this would have been turned over to me or my brother to handle and "fight it out" with the cable company.

It's tough to get old......
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

Not sure what my cable company's response would be these days, but about 15 years ago when I was still writing checks for payment, I mistakenly paid about three times the amount due. Customer service contacted me and asked if I wanted them to return that check and resubmit the correct amount. I told them to just credit it to my account for future use.

For online payments....I suspect I'd be SOL since I "approved" the amount before it was submitted. If the guy in the story overpaid by about $100 or so, I can see them just crediting his account. But for such a huge overpayment, they should have refunded the difference when first contacted about it. It seems they only did so when some news source got involved.

Jim
LBIJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:40 AM   #11
Disneyland1084
OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I'm not going to let that chickenhead nugget bother me
HEY!! Where is everyone?

That's bull-----!!!! Screw that cable company! Hopefully he'll take his business elsewhere.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:02 AM   #12
Bungle
DIS Veteran

I accidentally paid my electric bill twice in one month and they refused to refund it, the balance had to be applied to a future bill

Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:24 AM   #13
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

They should be ashamed of themselves!
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #14
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

I am sure it was basic script reading.

Using common sense here it should have been obvious to the employee that this situation needed to be resolved in a different manner.

It must suck to work for a company that is so heartless to it's customers.

In the end, it was fixed and the employee that took the beating and told this poor man that he could not have his money back, must be really ticked off that they were forced to say those things to the customer. I understand following "company policy" but come on.....
The Mystery Machine is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: