Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

I-95 Speed trap question

I remember reading earlier this year about some nasty/sneaky speed traps on 95 in South Carolina. Since I'm driving down in about a month, I was wondering if this speed trap or any others are worth being aware of before making my trip?

(Obviously, they can pop up anywhere, but i'm curious if there is anyplace in particular I should be extra vigilant to watch my speed)
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
msmayor
DIS Veteran

We have always been exceptionally vigilant on every mile in SC...we travel that route 2-3 times a year taking our daughter back and forth to college in GA. They can be anywhere at anytime.

My best advice? Stay within 5mph of the speed limit and never be the fastest car around you.
Oct 1997: All Star Sports
Oct 2000: Dixie Landings
Aug 2005: Wilderness Lodge
Aug 2008: Shades of Green...Family Grand Gathering
Aug 2010: One Day at MK - cruise stop!
Jun 2014: Boardwalk
msmayor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
DCTooTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmayor View Post
We have always been exceptionally vigilant on every mile in SC...we travel that route 2-3 times a year taking our daughter back and forth to college in GA. They can be anywhere at anytime.

My best advice? Stay within 5mph of the speed limit and never be the fastest car around you.
I grew up in GA, and spent a couple years in the Carolinas, so I'm familiar with their tendencies to pop up anywhere and everywhere. (and the tricks to avoid being the unlucky person who gets snagged).

What prompted this question is I remembered something about a particular spot in SC where they had a remote camera truck or something set up that was out of the ordinary or more sneaky than normal.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Robert P
GLOBEX - taking over your world one country at a time

It was @ mile marker 21 at Ridgeland, SC. They had a camera set up, and sometimes a van was there as well. It was under the bridge overpass in the shade.

I have not seen it there on our last two trips in Oct 2011 and July 2012.
01/04 - CBR, AKL: 9/04 - POP, BCV, POR: 10/04 - BCV, (offsite-Radisson-yuck!):
11/05 - Dolphin, BCV, BWV: 10/06 - BCV: 11/06 - Dolphin, BCV:
07/07 - Dolphin, (offsite-Sheraton Safari- AOK!) 11/07 - BCV, Dolphin:
04/08 - Dolphin, BWV: 08/08 - POP, WL: 10/08 - BCV, Swan:
09/09 - Dolphin, (offsite-Sheraton Safari): 11/09 - Swan, BCV 10/10 - Dolphin, BCV

Robert P's April 2008 Dining Reviews: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1791298
Robert P's Fall 2007 Dining Reviews: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1630586
Robert P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
audracooper
Earning My Ears

Ridgeland!

Yes! I am almost 40 and have never gotten a speeding ticket until this past March in Ridgeland, SC. I usually try to stay no more than 6-8 miles over, but I got a ticket for 9 over limit. I made a comment (about getting a ticket) to guest services at a hotel we stopped at in Jacksonville and the man laughed and said he hears that several times a week about Ridgeland.
audracooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Illinistifler
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
I remember reading earlier this year about some nasty/sneaky speed traps on 95 in South Carolina. Since I'm driving down in about a month, I was wondering if this speed trap or any others are worth being aware of before making my trip?

(Obviously, they can pop up anywhere, but i'm curious if there is anyplace in particular I should be extra vigilant to watch my speed)
I downloaded the Trapster app. It works by having drivers report speed traps etc. So far it has worked like a charm
Illinistifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
Danibelle
DIS Veteran

The cameras have been removed by state law but the Jasper Sheriffs are still waiting for the speeders. Be safe!

There are also some parts of I-95 in Georgia (south of Savannah) that are known for some "ticketing" of speeders.

Danibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
NYDisneyKid
Expedition Everest Record Holder

why speed? disney world isnt going anywhere
Old 09-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDisneyKid
Totally agree.... I never have to check my speed when I see a law enforcement vehicle.... I never speed whether on a trip or around my home town .... No need as stated in the quote

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
DCTooTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDisneyKid View Post
True.

Personally, It's primarily habit. I'm MUCH better than I used to be on the speeding front, but i can still be a little on the faster side..... Especially on those long, flat, straight, low-traffic highways on the way to Disney. (it's easy to lose track of how fast I'm going since I don't tend to constantly check my speedometer).

Figured it was better safe than sorry to ask about the sneaky camera setup i remembered hearing about. I don't mind as much getting pulled over by an actual officer since it means I was speeding excessively and wasn't paying enough attention that I probably needed the reality check. Camera's however I have a harder time with since there isn't room for the "flow of traffic" in the equation..... And I'm not going to get that immediate feedback I probably needed.

(For the record, in my idiotic youth, I got a TON of speeding tickets which I probably deserved. In my adulthood however I've wised up and slowed down enough that I've not really had any. )
Old 09-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

But there again, if you find you have an extra $200. go ahead and push the issue, sure a waste of money in my book..... I'be had people blow by me over the limit and only see them at the next exit or traffic light so where did the excessive speed get them? I love to see those people pulled over with the blue lights flashing!!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: