Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
ZiPaD3doDAH
DIS Veteran

What's for lunch?

Hello!

So I'm a 21 year old college student & I'm running tight on money (thanks to those spontaneous trips I take to wdw every other month - I'm only 4 hours away).

Instead of eating out on Tuesday's & Thursday's (MWF I work) while I'm at school, I would like to save the money and put it towards things I like! Considering a meal nowadays runs up to $9

I have been eating sandwiches for the past month in order to save money but i'm so sick of it!

Can anyone recommend some lunch meals I can take or cost virtually nothing at the supermarket? However, It can't involve bread (tired of it & it's fating!) and I can't heat the food up since I don't have microwaves at my school - and also don't trust them if we did have them!

Thank you!

<--Pls click these-->
ZiPaD3doDAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
mks18412
Mouseketeer

Maybe pasta salad.
mks18412 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
prncess674
DIS Veteran

I could think of tons of different salad combos. Start with a leafy base and just start piling different things on top. Just about anything can be a salad topping!

Also think about what tastes okay cold at a picnic: cold fried chicken with a side of potato salad.

If you are tired of blah sandwiches try to mix is up with a wrap. Lots of great stuff to put in a tortilla.

Yogurt parfaits

Try breakfast foods for lunch. Cereal, milk and a banana make a perfectly acceptable lunch.

If you are always on the go for lunch try to switch it up with a big hot breakfast and just eat "snacky" items for lunch. If I have a full breakfast I can get away with a yogurt and a piece of fruit for lunch and maybe some trail mix later in the day if I am hungry again.
prncess674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
clarabelle
Pandas don't seem to have much of a survival instinct
What happens after the poo is picked up?

Hummus and pita
veggies and ranch
Bagel with Cream cheese
Something in a thermos like chili or soup
clarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

/Is a wrap too much like a sandwich for you?
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Mom_Rides
DIS Veteran

Bagel and cream cheese
Crackers and cheese
Loaded pasta salad
Cottage cheese
Fruit salad
Hard boiled eggs
Peanut butter on crackers

Our first trip! June 5-11, 2010 @ POR
A short trip just for our Princess! April 17-19, 2012 @ POP
Mom_Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
pezheadmeg
feminsit turned fashion student

I'm a religious brown bagger who keeps low-carb diet. My go to lunches are bento style. You can vary it up easily.

I always have some sort of chicken or a turkey burger sliced up. I then add some cold veggies. Most days I stick with sweet peppers or cucumbers. Then I put some dressing in for dipping and toss in a serving of fruit. I toss it into an insulated bag and I'm good to go.

I don't sit at work and eating a meal like this mid shift usually keeps me going the rest of the day.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
prncess674
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiPaD3doDAH View Post
Hello!

So I'm a 21 year old college student & I'm running tight on money (thanks to those spontaneous trips I take to wdw every other month - I'm only 4 hours away).

Instead of eating out on Tuesday's & Thursday's (MWF I work) while I'm at school, I would like to save the money and put it towards things I like! Considering a meal nowadays runs up to $9

I have been eating sandwiches for the past month in order to save money but i'm so sick of it!

Can anyone recommend some lunch meals I can take or cost virtually nothing at the supermarket? However, It can't involve bread (tired of it & it's fating!) and I can't heat the food up since I don't have microwaves at my school - and also don't trust them if we did have them!

Thank you!
I am not following your logic. You say you work MWF amd thus presumably eat out lunch those days but want to brown bag it TT to save money. Hy aren't you brown bagging it 5 days a week or bagging it on work days where you may have access to a hearing element? Also since you mention $9 a day don't try to go cold turkey and spend 59 cents per meal. Try some nice brown bag lunches that maybe cost $4 per meal that won't make you feel like your a prison inmate eating scraps.
prncess674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
3angelsmom
Mouseketeer

Soup in a thermos. I found some good recipes on crockpot365. Make a pot of it on the weekend, take some for lunch and freeze the rest in the one-portion ziploc containers.

The black bean on the website if my favorite. Sprinkle on some cheddar or add tortilla chips and it's very filling. The corn chowder is good too. Have this with some cooked chicken (i.e., Perdue Shortcuts) or a packet or ready-made tuna salad.
3angelsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: