DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #61
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,512

There are definitely people for whom DVC is not a good fit. Everybody enjoys Disney differently, and even differently on two trips in the same year. So it should surprise noone that some folks are happier with one of the many, MANY options other than DVC ownership.

There are two suggestions I really like in this thread, and I would recommend them to any prospective buyer of any timeshare -- onsite or offsite:

1 - Dean's suggestion of using a shorter timeframe than length of contract for evaluating the financials.

Although a LOT of people assume otherwise, I think most timeshare owners will NOT hold their contracts the full term. 30-50 years is a very long time and life has a way of changing. If most of us don't stay in our homes long enough to pay off a 30-year mortgage, what's the likelyhood that we'll really keep anybody's timeshare for that period? My heart might tell me I love the place, but my brain is saying, "NOT!"

I think Dean's suggestion of a 10-year timeframe is reasonable, although it will be too long for some. Once you use that timeframe, then you have the difficult task of trying to guess what the resale net will be in 10 years. I think that is either next to impossible -- or not too far from zero. Take your pick. Personally I think zero recovery is the only safe number, but YMMV.

Using a 10 year timeframe will yield what should be a much more rational value for acquisition cost per point per year. And it will definitely change the math for price comparisons toward a much more conservative equation.

2- Brian's suggestion of renting first -- not only ONsite, but also OFFsite

In fact, I would recommend that any prospective buyer of anybody's timeshare rent first both ONsite at DVC and OFFsite. I think a lot of us just assume onsite is SO much better (I know I did), but we don't really try it. Renting is a very low-risk way to test the waters before taking the plunge.

Trying both before purchasing anything would give prospective buyers a much more clear-eyed view of the pros and cons of each...as they apply to their own family's actual experience.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #62
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
There are definitely people for whom DVC is not a good fit. Everybody enjoys Disney differently, and even differently on two trips in the same year. So it should surprise noone that some folks are happier with one of the many, MANY options other than DVC ownership.

There are two suggestions I really like in this thread, and I would recommend them to any prospective buyer of any timeshare -- onsite or offsite:

1 - Dean's suggestion of using a shorter timeframe than length of contract for evaluating the financials.

Although a LOT of people assume otherwise, I think most timeshare owners will NOT hold their contracts the full term. 30-50 years is a very long time and life has a way of changing. If most of us don't stay in our homes long enough to pay off a 30-year mortgage, what's the likelyhood that we'll really keep anybody's timeshare for that period? My heart might tell me I love the place, but my brain is saying, "NOT!"

I think Dean's suggestion of a 10-year timeframe is reasonable, although it will be too long for some. Once you use that timeframe, then you have the difficult task of trying to guess what the resale net will be in 10 years. I think that is either next to impossible -- or not too far from zero. Take your pick. Personally I think zero recovery is the only safe number, but YMMV.

Using a 10 year timeframe will yield what should be a much more rational value for acquisition cost per point per year. And it will definitely change the math for price comparisons toward a much more conservative equation.

2- Brian's suggestion of renting first -- not only ONsite, but also OFFsite

In fact, I would recommend that any prospective buyer of anybody's timeshare rent first both ONsite at DVC and OFFsite. I think a lot of us just assume onsite is SO much better (I know I did), but we don't really try it. Renting is a very low-risk way to test the waters before taking the plunge.

Trying both before purchasing anything would give prospective buyers a much more clear-eyed view of the pros and cons of each...as they apply to their own family's actual experience.
Jim, my assumption is that in 10 years DVC maint fees will equal the value for current points, in other words, DVC contracts won't have intrinsic value for selling above other costs. Obviously this isn't likely to be the case but to tie up my money, I want anything above that to be gravy and I doubt it'll be far from the case for the 2042 contracts. We're at what now, 50% of retail minus sales costs.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #63
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt
 
taaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,856

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealdisneylovers View Post
I give a lot less consideration to the time value of money in todays investing environment (extremely low interest rates and crazy volatile stock market)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
FWIW, I completely agree with this. You can pick the cost rate you like (and can still justify buying resale even with a relatively conservative cost of capital) but you should at least consider it. For anyone who would rather not do so, I have a proposition: loan me $10,000 today, and I'll pay you back $500 a year for the next 20 years.
FWIW, I agree with montrealdisneylovers for a different reason. I ignore the time cost of the initial investment of DVC, largely because I, like many DVC purchasers, bought DVC with my "extra" money that I was planning on spending on something. The truth is, if I have the cash for a luxury purchase like DVC, odds are good I was going to spend it on something. Our alternate plan for our DVC money was a big fancy wedding. For others, they would have taken a lavish vacation, or bought a fancier car, or maybe a luxury jewelry purchase. We all traded in something else to buy DVC. I don't think anybody said "hey, let's take my retirement fund which could be worth a much higher amount in 30 years and use it to buy a timeshare!". We had this earmarked for an unnecessary item, and that's how we used it.

Could you have invested the money and made a lot off of it? Sure. Would you have saved it and not bought a different item that you really wanted? I think the answer to this for most owners is ... probably not. Disciplined savers we might be, but saints we are not.
__________________
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #64
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaren View Post
FWIW, I agree with montrealdisneylovers for a different reason. I ignore the time cost of the initial investment of DVC, largely because I, like many DVC purchasers, bought DVC with my "extra" money that I was planning on spending on something. The truth is, if I have the cash for a luxury purchase like DVC, odds are good I was going to spend it on something. Our alternate plan for our DVC money was a big fancy wedding. For others, they would have taken a lavish vacation, or bought a fancier car, or maybe a luxury jewelry purchase. We all traded in something else to buy DVC. I don't think anybody said "hey, let's take my retirement fund which could be worth a much higher amount in 30 years and use it to buy a timeshare!". We had this earmarked for an unnecessary item, and that's how we used it.

Could you have invested the money and made a lot off of it? Sure. Would you have saved it and not bought a different item that you really wanted? I think the answer to this for most owners is ... probably not. Disciplined savers we might be, but saints we are not.
Obviously saving the money and not going on vacation is the best financial situation but, IMO the best approach for this subject is to assume you would have gone on vacation and deduct the funds from the initial balance incrementally assuming the appropriate growth parameters that one decides. Adding in yearly amounts for maint fees. That generates 2 baskets of funds at least, that for 5 years or less and that for 5 years and greater. IMO timeshares have considerable risk so one needs a significant return to make them worthwhile. Something that's a lot harder to realize with DVC than many other timeshares resale. Basically the best case scenario is about the only situation that will generate a savings/increase in value for most and even then, it only works for a subset of those that consider DVC including those that buy DVC. Put another way, there are a subset of members where the numbers will never make sense from a dollar standpoint.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #65
k3chantal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,105

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaren View Post
FWIW, I agree with montrealdisneylovers for a different reason. I ignore the time cost of the initial investment of DVC, largely because I, like many DVC purchasers, bought DVC with my "extra" money that I was planning on spending on something. The truth is, if I have the cash for a luxury purchase like DVC, odds are good I was going to spend it on something. Our alternate plan for our DVC money was a big fancy wedding. For others, they would have taken a lavish vacation, or bought a fancier car, or maybe a luxury jewelry purchase. We all traded in something else to buy DVC. I don't think anybody said "hey, let's take my retirement fund which could be worth a much higher amount in 30 years and use it to buy a timeshare!". We had this earmarked for an unnecessary item, and that's how we used it.

Could you have invested the money and made a lot off of it? Sure. Would you have saved it and not bought a different item that you really wanted? I think the answer to this for most owners is ... probably not. Disciplined savers we might be, but saints we are not.
I see my DVC purchase in the basically same way. My husband and I never broke it down the costs. We had the money to pay for the purchase outright, considered it a luxury purchase, thankful we had the money to 'burn' and hoped that it would give us years of enjoyment. It has given us years of enjoyment so far.
We are usually very conservative spenders and are very careful with planning for our future. We knew this was one of the few times in our lives we would throw caution to the wind and we thought of it as a reward for being so cautious and careful with our money.

I think for some analyzing the costs of DVC is part of the 'fun'. It becomes a justification to spend the money and they need it to feel good about their purchase.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #66
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

I think that the variety of replies we have seen on this thread suggest that a prospective buyer's perspective and situation are two crucial aspects of the purchasing decision that have to be factored in. Unfortunately, for all of our posts, we know very little about each other on here, which makes our advice a little general.

I think that one attitude that some of the more "financially liberal" posters are trying to encourage is helping to foster a "joy of living" type mentality (and Disney certainly does provide a lot of happiness to a lot of people). I think one situation that "financially conservative" posters on here are trying to avoid is people making ill advised purchases or perhaps making purchases that will end up putting them in a difficult financial position down the road. But the common message I hear from both sides is that prospective buyers should make well informed decisions about their purchase (or lack thereof).

Value aside, there is a attitudinal spectrum that exists when considering any major purchase where on one end you have "I need to make sure that every penny I spend is spent wisely" and on the other end you have "I can't take my money with me, so I might as well spend it". I would suggest that happiness lies somewhere in the middle. One needs to find where DVC lies on that spectrum when making the decision to purchase. If you consider that one poster's perspective is most likely vastly different from your own, it makes it easier to read what they have to say without the discussion becoming adversarial.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #67
Sammie
DIS Veteran
 
Sammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Fantasyland
Posts: 20,401

Basically the way I see it, DVC only has to work for me.

Everyone else can figure out what works for them.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:46 AM   #68
wdwfamilyinIL
DIS Veteran
 
wdwfamilyinIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: IL/IN state line
Posts: 869

We have been throwing around the idea of buying dvc for a while, for some reason we have just enough doubt that we don't go for it. As a family we go to WDW once a year, typically we like to stay 7-10 days. I love french quarter, don't really have the bug to into the deluxes although we are staying for 2 nights after our cruise at CR. My whole thing is I can't figure in where it will save money for us. My husband is a disney addict, I know we will go every year unless something major would happen. We will always stay on site, just for the fact we fly in and I don't want to worry about a car and going back and forth. Typically a trip for us runs around 7000, give or take, so we could easily have our money back in 3 years......but is it going to really save us anything? I also find that I get very confused with all the points, as it is now I call my TA and tell her what I want and thats it, done deal.

I would love to find a way to save some money, and maybe its my misunderstanding of DVC, but would it work for people like us?
__________________
DH DW DS12 DS10 DS8



ASM 05,06POP 07,08
POFQ 09,10
Disney Dream May 11
POR JUNE 11
wdwfamilyinIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:51 AM   #69
zavandor
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: An Italian in London
Posts: 948

Since you usually stay in a moderate resort, DVC will not save you much money. In your case it would allow you to upscale your resort to a deluxe one for around the same money.
zavandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #70
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Basically the way I see it, DVC only has to work for me.

Everyone else can figure out what works for them.
Exactly, but they need the information to do so, the more the better. I'd suggest that the numbers at least need to make sense for that decision to be a reasonable one though.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #71
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Exactly, but they need the information to do so, the more the better. I'd suggest that the numbers at least need to make sense for that decision to be a reasonable one though.
Agreed. However, as we have seen on here, people can do lots of things to make the numbers "make sense" even when they really don't.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #72
jennybdis
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfamilyinIL View Post
We have been throwing around the idea of buying dvc for a while, for some reason we have just enough doubt that we don't go for it. As a family we go to WDW once a year, typically we like to stay 7-10 days. I love french quarter, don't really have the bug to into the deluxes although we are staying for 2 nights after our cruise at CR. My whole thing is I can't figure in where it will save money for us. My husband is a disney addict, I know we will go every year unless something major would happen. We will always stay on site, just for the fact we fly in and I don't want to worry about a car and going back and forth. Typically a trip for us runs around 7000, give or take, so we could easily have our money back in 3 years......but is it going to really save us anything? I also find that I get very confused with all the points, as it is now I call my TA and tell her what I want and thats it, done deal.

I would love to find a way to save some money, and maybe its my misunderstanding of DVC, but would it work for people like us?
I am assuming your entire trip costs about $7k? Perhaps half of that is your hotel cost? If somehow or another you're paying $7k for a week's stay at a moderate, I'd jump on the chance to do DVC as it would definitely save you money.

If about half of your $7k is your hotel cost ($3500), I would say that if you bought resale, and if you bought outright without financing, you would probably get your money back in about 2 years on the initial purchase (not taking into account maintenance fees). Assuming you'd only need a studio (since you're currently only doing a hotel room), and if you bought at OKW, you would need about 130ish points to stay around 9-10 nights depending on which season you travel. Most OKW contracts are currently selling around $55 point, which would make your contract cost approximately $7150.

Obviously, you'd need to take into account maintenance fees, which will go up (as will hotel costs, though), but, currently, you'd be looking at another $675 yearly for 130 points. One of the things that makes me feel a little better about the payment of maintenance fees is that they're pretty much equal to the savings we get by gaining a kitchen and not needing to eat out every single meal in the park. (But that's just what works for me in terms of justifying the yearly expense.)

You need to figure out if it works well for you and if my assumptions and numbers are close to your own numbers, but I would think that if you're a yearly Disney traveler and already have a $7k budget for Disney travel, DVC would work well for you.
jennybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #73
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The People's Republic of Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 11,834

Quote:
people can do lots of things to make the numbers "make sense" even when they really don't.
And they are welcome to do so, as long as they are not using my money for the purchase.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #74
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran
 
ExpatDisneyLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.
Posts: 2,099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keurigirl View Post
So we're Disney people. We love Disney and go a couple times a year (DL &/or WDW). Recently discovered cruising with DCL and LOVE it. We went to the presentation of the DVC on the ship last week, but I just cannot see how it makes sense. For us, at least. I am guessing that it must just not make sense for some people?

I'd really like to say that we are DVC owners, but I am not sure it works for us. Any thoughts?

The biggest downfall is that we don't stay on property at WDW. We don't like it; we stay at Windsor Hills and love it there (in a 3 bdr. townhouse with private pool, and way better beds and linens than Disney). We'd rent a car and park at the parks even if we stayed on property, as we hate taking disney's shuttle buses. Our cost staying in a whole house off property is something like $125 a night on the high season, so considerably cheaper than the DVC points for a much better accommodation. Just for the maintenance fees a year we stay for almost two weeks in a house... so I'm not getting why we'd pay $20,000+ in addition to the yearly maintenance fee. Am I missing something?
DVC definitely doesn't work for everybody. Definitely something to research before you buy.

I wouldn't buy DVC if I wasn't interested in staying onsite at Disney deluxe resorts. If cruising is all I would ever use my points for - I definitely wouldn't buy into DVC. I think the best value of DVC is staying onsite at Disney resorts and that is my primary reason for purchasing though every once in awhile I think I will use my points for cruising and the other Disney collections options - but that in once in awhile.
__________________
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR * August 2014 HKDL Disneyland Hotel * December 2014 HKDL Hollywood Hotel * February 2015 DLRP Newport Bay Club *
New Trip Reports August and December Hong Kong Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3356993http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118

ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #75
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...
 
pilferk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Not judging, just offering my opinion on a subject that's been discussed extensively over the years and one where there are many variables and many end points depending on the assumptions one makes related to the numbers. You can go back and search for those thread's if the numbers are important to you. Rather than getting into the "my number is better than your number" issue, I'm simply offering my opinion on the principle that ignoring the time value of money is unreasonable in valuing such a purchase though anyone is free to make their own assumptions. I'm to the point in life and this board to simply offering my opinion on subjects at times rather than go through the steps to get there, if that offends you, then you'll simply have to be offended. If you want to know how I got to a specific thought, you're always free to ask but the reality is that it's often going to be based on knowledge and experience rather than simply numbers.
I'm not offended.

But offering opinions without reason, and/or without substantive information which depicts the difference, isn't really worth much. It's precisely what I suggested: passing judgment on contributions rather than actually contributing anything interesting.

If you can't be bothered (which is essentially what you said)...don't be bothered. Simple as that.
__________________
Disney dreamin'...Somewhere!
11 9 7 (...our little Disney Souvenir)
pilferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: