Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Lovin' Disney
Mouseketeer

Thinking about giving up cable...

Our plan is up for renewal and we are thinking of giving up cable. Not sure if we can make the leap, though!

What are the other options if we don't have cable?

We already have Netflix and that's ok once in awhile, but nothing that great or current.

I know of Hulu and Hulu Plus, but don't know much about them.

If I want to watch the NFL on the weekend and I don't have cable, how do I do that?

We do not have a flat screen TV, if that makes a difference, so no HD in our house.

Any information you guys could give would be awesome.

Disneyland - Anaheim Desert Inn...July 2014
Disneyland - Best Western Anaheim Inn...July/August 2013
Off-site (VRBO rental house)...June 2012
Pop Century-70's...August 2011
Pop Century-50's...April 2010
All-Star Sports-Football...Aug/Sept 2009
Fort Wilderness Cabin...Aug/Sept 2008
All-Star Movies-Mighty Ducks & MVMCP...Nov/Dec 2007
All-Star Movies-Toy Story & MVMCP....December 2006
All Star Movies-101 Dalmations (Honeymoon)....February 2002
Coronado Springs....May 2001
Off Site (US 192--Econo Lodge)....June 2000
Off Site......1987 & 1989
Lovin' Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

if you want just what you get over the air or whatever- you have to have a converter box right? Maybe just try a very basic plan first?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
mnrose
DIS Veteran

Best thing we ever did was give up cable! We now use free, off the air services. No problems at all. We use an antenna to pull them in. We have both HD TVs (no converter box required) and older style TVs where we use a converter box, which costs around $50 (although perhaps they are cheaper now?).

It's great having NO bill for television. We still get around 20 channels of "good enough" entertainment...all the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox), and PBS, plus a few more that play mostly reruns. More than enough, IMO.

Also, I can watch the few other shows that I like on my computer....albeit a few days later than if I had cable. This does not matter to me at all.
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
JessB320
DIS Veteran

We gave up cable over a year ago, at the year mark we were going to get it again, but didn't even miss it, so we didn't. When we first went to do it the cable company offered us a crazy low deal for 6 months if we kept it on, it was like $30 a month or something. So, if your just looking to lower bills maybe see if they will cut you a deal for awhile, or if you can go to a basic package. Otherwise, we love not having it, and not having the kids glued to the darn TV all the time (teens) lol
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

You can *maybe* pull in OTA channels with a converter box and watch Sunday football on those channels. Go to Antennaweb or TVfool and put in your address. They will tell you what channels you can or cannot get. Depending on where you live you might have to put up an outside antenna. Also, take a really good look at your surrounding area. Have any large trees/bushes/buildings nearby? Those affect signals much more than they did when things were analog, so it's now an either you get them or you don't.

Last edited by Nayan; 09-03-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: because coffee hasn't kicked in and I can't spell
Nayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
becalubob
Mouseketeer

We gave up cable two years ago when we got married (and I was already cable-less before that). We are too busy to notice! I like not having to pay a cable bill every month, and I like knowing the kids aren't watching tv. Between Netflix ($8 ish a month) and our library, we have plenty to watch when we do. Yeah, nothing current, but I like spending a cozy weekend where I can watch an entire season of something, and not hafta wait every week for it!

I say go for it!
becalubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
Rence
Anyone who puts fashion above all else can't be all bad

We cut the cord a month ago and we don't even miss it.
We do have newer TVs, all HDTV and we already had an outside antenna. We did have a few reception problems, but I bought a signal amplifier and we adjusted the antenna a bit and now we get tons of channels over the air.

We also had an XBOX 360 - XBOX and PS3 both have a ton of video options. I know with the XBOX you can watch Netflix, HuluPlus and Amazon Prime through the XBOX (along with several others). So if you already have a video game console - check out what it has to offer you.

We also got two Rokus for different TVs - do check them out. The Roku boxes cost from $50 to $100 (and since you don't have HD - you can probably go with the lower end) - these let you watch all kinds of streaming video (including Netflix, HuluPlus and Amazon Prime). I am very impressed, inexpensive, easy to setup and works great.

If you haven't yet, check out Amazon - it is $79 for a year - but it gives you free two day shipping on everything that Amazon sells or fulfills (there are other companies that sell through Amazon - for which the free shipping doesn't apply). We already had Prime for that - but add in all the free videos and its a bargain.

For most network shows - HuluPlus is the place to go - ABC, NBC, CW & FOX are all on HuluPlus and they put the current episodes out there anywhere from a day or two later to a week or two later.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you can purchase individual episodes or a whole season of a show through services like Amazon, iTunes etc. At first that bothered me, but we were paying $118 a month for Direct TV - most episodes cost a couple of bucks. I could buy a who lot of individual episodes of TV shows and still spend less than we were spending with Direct TV.
Rence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

We have been with out cable since 08, and we miss nothing. We have a roku box and watch Hulu and Netflix. My husband purchased MLB for baseball. I love not having to pay a cable bill. That money makes up for my grocery money. I don't know about football.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

We have an antenna with a converter and a Roku for Netflix. Do NOT miss cable/satellit at all!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
Miss Peach
Mouseketeer

We gave up cable six years ago. At first the evenings seems a bit vacant, but now... I cannot imagine where we would fit in tv viewing time!

We spend our evenings doing things together rather than sitting side by side staring at a screen.

Give it a chance, it is like quitting anything, you need to get away from it to see what a drain it has been!

Good luck!
Miss Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

I also should have added to my post that you make a list of your must-haves as far as shows, Google them and see if they are online. To me though, I love cable, watch hardly anything on the big four (Fox, CBS, etc.) and I am a huge sports nut (Hockey, Basketball, Soccer, etc.) and I need cable to get my fix .
Old 09-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
davmill
Mouseketeer

We gave up cable too. Now we just pick up digital channels over the air and save 75 a month. Haven't read all the posts so not sure if you are doing it for money or time, but both can be saved by just terminating your cable contract.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

We are giving up cable this week!
We have new TV's and we have blu-ray players so we are setting up streaming Hulu plus, amazon prime and our apple TV. The boys stream through the PS3 in their room.

I don't know what to tell you about the football. I found a place online that streams hockey for a fee, I think it was $15 a month.
I would start by googling streaming football or watching football online and see what you can find.

We've figured with the higher bandwidth minus the cable fee our internet and phone will be $137 a month, which is a $107 savings.
We will roll that savings into iTunes season pass purchases and other things.

I did take the last 3 days and make a list of all the things we TIVO and DVR and the networks to see which system would air what shows. I can't watch Drop Dead Diva on the TV with hulu or amazon, I have to watch that one on the computer. I can watch Grimm on Hulu. Doctor Who on Amazon. etc....

It's a little time consuming but now I can watch TV on my schedule.

The only thing I will miss is late at night when I can't sleep I usually channel surf. But I'm hoping this will reduce the amount of mindless TV that we watch.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
Lovin' Disney
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies. We pay about $82 for cable each month. That seems like an awful lot of money to drop when we're all gone during the school day and only awake about 4-5 hours afterwards. Weekends we are often busy as well. Does anyone know much Hulu Plus and Amazon cost?

We live in a rural area so I'm not sure we'd get very many channels over the air. Before they switched to digital a few years ago, we got a very snowy PBS and that's it.

Still thinking about it. Our package renews on the 7th, so we still have a few days to think about it.

Disneyland - Anaheim Desert Inn...July 2014
Disneyland - Best Western Anaheim Inn...July/August 2013
Off-site (VRBO rental house)...June 2012
Pop Century-70's...August 2011
Pop Century-50's...April 2010
All-Star Sports-Football...Aug/Sept 2009
Fort Wilderness Cabin...Aug/Sept 2008
All-Star Movies-Mighty Ducks & MVMCP...Nov/Dec 2007
All-Star Movies-Toy Story & MVMCP....December 2006
All Star Movies-101 Dalmations (Honeymoon)....February 2002
Coronado Springs....May 2001
Off Site (US 192--Econo Lodge)....June 2000
Off Site......1987 & 1989
Lovin' Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin' Disney View Post
Thanks for the replies. We pay about $82 for cable each month. That seems like an awful lot of money to drop when we're all gone during the school day and only awake about 4-5 hours afterwards. Weekends we are often busy as well. Does anyone know much Hulu Plus and Amazon cost?

We live in a rural area so I'm not sure we'd get very many channels over the air. Before they switched to digital a few years ago, we got a very snowy PBS and that's it.

Still thinking about it. Our package renews on the 7th, so we still have a few days to think about it.
Hulu Plus is 8.99. I enjoy having the money we used for cable as using for a regular bill. I also bought the complete twilight zone dvd's.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: