Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
Wendybird55
DIS Veteran

My son is in 1st grade this year and he will end up missing 6 days total for Disney trips. In Oct. he will mis a Fri & on to go to MNSSHP and in Jan he will miss a Mon-Thur to go on a family Dinsey cruise. Part of me feels bad doing this, but I've seen other parents do this and as long as I make sure he keeps up with the work and homework I'm sure he will be fine...and yes, it is 1st grade.

Kids miss days of school for various reasons other than vacation. Last May students in my son K class were missing a week or more of school due to some kind of bug / virus that was going around. That's my only concern now...hopefully he will stay helathy and not miss much additional school due to illness.

But as others have mentioned...I think it will be fine as long as I inform the teacher of the days off in advance and ask that he be given any work he will be missing to keep on top of it.

And as far as HS...though it was a long time ago...I was more concerned about missing days in HS due to the fact I wanted to be with my friends and not miss out on anything. I was an honors student and alwasy felt that by keeping up with my work and doing well if I missed days it wouldn't go against my grades. As long as I wasn't missing a test or important project due date I was OK.
Wendybird55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #17
chimilady
DIS Veteran

Taking kids out at elementary school isn't bad, but High school? They can't just say yes, she can make up the work. I mean she'll likely have 6 or 7 teachers! And no, you can't just make up labs. Doing a trip report or journal may be fine when you're young and in the same class all day, but in HS I would have had to make one arrangement for my math teacher, history teacher, science teacher, etc. That would be 7 trip reports! And even then, if it's not relevant to the topic she's learning (Doing a report on the hall of president is not going to work if I'm learning about Mesopotamia or World History). Isn't October PSAT time? I'm sure some teachers will let her make up assignments, but some will not. 5 days of unexcused absence at my school meant detention.

But what's done is done, you can't let yourself worry about it now. I would just check the school's webpage to see that at least you can overlap it with some time off, like exam days, or other holidays, so that she's really only missing 2-3 days of school.
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #18
littlebit0863
Mouseketeer

I would lie. Say someone died out of state and then it will be excused. Of course if your daughter is going around class talking about her trip then it will blow up in your face. That, or withdraw her from school and re-enroll her after the trip. Not going to be your most popular answer but if your school district is like mine their money comes from attendance and it is not going to be excused.
littlebit0863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #19
dealia
Earning My Ears

Thank you everyone for the advise. I did get it worked out with school. However...I will NEVER take a High Schooler out again. I did not realize what a hassle it would be.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #20
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
wow High school. Did you check with her. There is no way my DD would have missed a week in high school. Does she have any AP courses? Science courses with labs, cause labs are buggers to try and make up.

And is she willing to take a hit on her GPA if the teachers give her zero's? If it is unexcused they may be able to not let her make it up and give her zero's. It is a lot to miss in highschool. Even if she can make it up, it will be very hard to learn a weeks worth of material on her own and keep up with the new in like Math or Chem/physics. Does she play sports? cause she won't be able to play, how about theater? You can't miss rehearsals.
I have to agree here. My daughter missed 4 days of school last month due to a funeral out of state and she has hated trying to catch up. She is in Honors classes and is really smart but the struggle to catch up what she missed while staying current was a lot. She will not miss anymore school unless she is seriously ill and this is coming from her.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #21
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsneprincess View Post
Ok, I am gonna get hammered for this one. Another option to consider at least is....LYING. Out of state death, funeral, sickness of relative, whatever can take 5 days & is covered by the school absence policy. There has to be some consideration for these situations. Family vacations are just as important, if not MORE important than 5 days of school & will mean more down the road. You have to consider your priorities. You could always seek alternative education options & she can learn a lot by traveling, sometimes more than in school. I am not saying you SHOULD, just an option to look at prior to calling school & putting them on alert. Just don't post photos on an internet site while you are there. I don't think the school should be able to "punish" a child, no matter what grade level we are talking about, for a decision made/dictated by the parent or the parent's job. All that really matters, IMO, is if your daughter can make up the work on her own in reasonable time &/or accept the lower grades for 1 semester? Look at the big picture, weigh your options and make the best decision for your family! Good luck!
In the district my kids are in, you HAVE to have proof from the funeral home that there was indeed a funeral. I know this as we just had a funeral to attend the second week of school. The kids' great grandma passed on the first day of school and was buried a week later. I would NEVER lie about something like that because the school does keep track.

Oh and even with excused absences in high school, a kid can lose credit for that course if they have too many missed days.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #22
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

I have taken my kids out through high school with no problems. We took oldest dd out in 9th, 10th, and 12th for a week to 6 days each time. She came back and made up the work when we got back. I would have rather had the work ahead of time, but the teachers said they couldnt do that. My dd was in honors classes too, but no AP classes. Graduated number 12 of her class.
We took ds out in each year of high school (he is currently a senior) and will be taking him out for 5 1/2 days in October. He is not the over achiever that his sister is, but has still never had any issues. Mainly A, with a B or two student.
Our 3rd child has a bit more struggle with school...still an A/B student, but this will be our last year pulling her out. She is in 8th and I am afraid that once she hits high school it will not be as easy for her to catch up. Our trips will have to move to early June after this one until she is out of high school...of course then you have college to deal with and you cant miss those college classes! We planned our trips from 2008-2011 around oldest DD's college breaks.
Glad you got it worked out, OP. Im thankful that our school system is not as strict as others I read about.
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA/1 night at ASM
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (23) DS(18) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!

blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #23
4littleones
Mouseketeer

I miss the good ol' days. School clearly is not the same as it was when I was a kid.
Me DH DS(6) DD(6) DD(4) DD(3)
4littleones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #24
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

I took my DD out of high school last year for our Disney trip. She was in honors courses at the time (sophomore year). She told her teachers ahead of time about our trip and was able to bring some assignments with her. Anything she missed, she stayed after school when we returned to make up the work. Her grades were fine.

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #25
Tinkerpeas hubby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealia View Post
Help..I planned our vacation for October. (non refundable airfare).Just read my school districs attendance policy and it does NOT allow for non-illness or non-emergency time out of school. I assume that means their absence will be UN excused. Any suggetions?
It's the same for the UK, although we have little choice other than to go during term time. Or else it can cost twice as much to go to Disney on the holidays.

I'm not majorly concerned my boys missing school for two reasons, one I know my wife and I can help to bring them upto speed with homework etc.
The boys are switched on and currently graded above their age groups so they should be ok.

Moi (31): dw (27): B (10) Ant (7): Avatar (7):
Tinkerpeas hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:37 AM   #26
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

It's been several years now but I did take my oldest dd out twice during high school with no problems. Honestly I don't even remember checking the policy.

We are in a different school district it now with ds11 and dd8 and family vacations are listed with the excused absences and all work can be made up.

Due to health considerations we cannot go to FL when it's really hot so summers and spring break are never a choice and I won't go near Christmas break crowds.

Next year the kids will be in 7th and 4th grades when we go.
WantToGoNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #27
tiffjoy
DIS Veteran

I saw you said you worked it out, but I wanted to add that in general, every school is different.

My "little" brother is a senior in college and has missed several days of classes through the past few years coming to visit me. When my older daughter was born, he missed the first three days of classes. (I live on the West Coast and he and my parents live in the East Coast.) he's going to miss several days this year in January to go on his first trip to Disneyworld with us. It's never been a problem. He coordinates with his profs, gets notes from friends, and makes up the work. He is an A/B student.

I never, ever would have been able to do that in college. I dragged myself to classes even when really sick because of the hassle and grade impact it would have meant to miss. My college also had an attendance policy. His does not.

Just totally depends on the school.
tiffjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #28
kohlby
DIS Veteran

It would be unexcused at every public school I've known of. But unexcused doesn't necessarily mean they won't work with you. First, you need to see how many unexcused are allowed. If there's too many, your child could not get credit for that course work! If your school is on regular year scheduling, then chances are that 5 is easily fine. If your school is on semester block scheduling, then look into it ASAP. One school I worked at had 5 days a semester and did the block scheduling. But also think of what else is unexcused. Sick, without a drs note, was considered unexcused. So, I wouldn't do it if your child had 5 days and you were using up all 5. (It was 10 for year long courses. I've heard of other schools being 8. But both make taking 5 less of a gamle if you're on year long scheduling).

As for providing make up work, teachers did not have to do that for unexcused absenses where I worked. However, "have to" and "willing" are two different things. I gladly provided make-up work for students who missed, no matter what the reason. As long as it was completed in a timely manner, I had no issue with helping them out. Many teachers actually want the kids to learn!

My comments are all for public school, private schools have a lot more freedom and are often more willing to work with you. The state decides what we can and cannot do when it comes to attendence.

*Editted to add: I missed your post when I typed this so I'm glad you have it worked out.

I'd look into seeing if "nonrefundable" meant that you couldn't reschedule. Sometimes nonrefundable just means they won't give you your money back if you cancel. But you could call the airline, change the flights to a different time and pay the change fees.
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #29
blueferral
Mouseketeer

Every town has a Dr. that will give ya an excuse if you just pay their office visit fee. Have him/her write an excuse for the flu. It's that time of year. Is it ethical, hell no. Does it work hell yes.

DIS DAD #695
blueferral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #30
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

our district allows it IF you prearrange it and IF you agree to do educational things there. When my oldest was in 2nd she had pick something to research while we were then, do a report, a poster and present to the class. She chose roller coasters and we had a blast learning about the different ones and how they work while we were there.

I could have done it again this year, for both, BUT my daughter is in Jr High this year and we felt that was enough change, so we opted for a holiday trip - we wanted to go at Christmas anyway, even though I would have REALLY liked to have started our vacation during FD, she has exams that last week of FD and we decided not to push it.

That said, we have friends that have gone every year during the fall for night of joy weekend, and their oldest is in HS, and she's been fine (as has the district).

But I wouldnt lie.

Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time TR POFQ 2012 OKW 09
1stvisit0909 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: