Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #136
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Rebo View Post
Suppose Disney had instead announced plans to build a new land at AK based on fantastical creatures from a fictional foreign world. It would be a planet invented by Disney, with creatures nobody had ever heard of, born from the creative minds of Disney Imagineers.

Would Disney fans get behind the idea? I think they would, especially if Disney pledged to invest heavily in the new area. While some would no doubt still long for the unicorns and dragons of Beastly Kingdomme, I think most would support the idea of a portion of the AK park dedicated to fictional, otherworldy creatures.

Enter Pandora, the fictional world created for the "Avatar" movie(s). It's basically the same thing described above, with the exception that Pandora was conceived by James Cameron, whereas the above idea would be solely from Disney. Just because the original idea came from outside Disney, does not make it a bad idea.

And just because the movie was mediocre, does not make it a bad idea. Splash Mountain is a fantastic ride, but it is based on a racist movie nobody has ever seen. The Jungle Cruise is a Disney Classic, but few even realize the ride was inspired by "The African Queen." Other well-loved attractions, such as Space Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean were not tied to movies at all.

So my point is that the quality of the movie has very little to do with the quality of a theme park attraction. An interesting idea, with the right creativity, along with the right financial commitment, can make for a great attraction. The Disney parks have demonstrated this time and time again.

A Pandora-based land might not have been my first choice either. But I'm willing to give it a chance.
Hmmm..... Thought it was just Walt's attempt to get his old "Nature" documentaries/episodes of the Disneyland show represented in the park?
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #137
HappyThoughtsTina
Happy Thoughts Vacations

Maybe now they will make the Villains Land??
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #138
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

Yeah. I hope Avatarland never comes to fruition. They have so many other things they can refurbish and I would rather see Cars Land, some updates in HS. I think the previous posts of adding other countries to AK is the best idea - starting with Australia or a rain forest.

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #139
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyThoughtsTina View Post
Maybe now they will make the Villains Land??
Never thought of it before, but Villains Land would be great! Great idea!

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #140
ASteelersMidget
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiggieFan View Post
Never thought of it before, but Villains Land would be great! Great idea!
Villain's land has been in the rumor mill for years. Not happening for at least another decade or 2

"The same thing we try to every night Ferb!

Try to take over the world!!!!"

The Phineas, the Phineas and the Ferb, Ferb, Ferb, Ferb, Ferb.

ASteelersMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #141
HDLady
Live 20 miles from WDW!

Can't say I'm surprised. I heard unofficially from a Cast Member that Joe Rohde (Executive Imagineer who did Adventurers Club, Animal Kingdom and Aulani to name a few) was having difficulties working within confines of the Avatar movie. I guess he's used to having complete creative license and developing ideas from scratch. I can't say I blame him. While Avatar was a good movie and the graphics were amazing, it just didn't seem to have enough "meat" to carry a whole land. Seems like WDW has been having some challenges lately with announced projects being "delayed" (which I interpret to maybe cancelled). First, they closed the clubs on Pleasure Island, announced Hyperion Wharf and then delayed/are reworking the additional "shopping and dining" concept. Now this entire Avatar land.....

First visit was 1984 and instantly hooked! Before moving to Central FL in 2003, visited WDW at least 1 or 2 times a year.
Have stayed at Caribbean Beach (4X), Grand Floridian (3X), DVC Old Key West (numerous times - home resort), DVC Villas at Animal Kingdom Lodge, DVC Boardwalk Villas, DVC Bay Lake Towers, DVC Villas at Wilderness Lodge.
Annual Passholder since 1990, DVC owner since April 1994
HDLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #142
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDLady View Post
Can't say I'm surprised. I heard unofficially from a Cast Member that Joe Rohde (Executive Imagineer who did Adventurers Club, Animal Kingdom and Aulani to name a few) was having difficulties working within confines of the Avatar movie. I guess he's used to having complete creative license and developing ideas from scratch. I can't say I blame him. While Avatar was a good movie and the graphics were amazing, it just didn't seem to have enough "meat" to carry a whole land. Seems like WDW has been having some challenges lately with announced projects being "delayed" (which I interpret to maybe cancelled). First, they closed the clubs on Pleasure Island, announced Hyperion Wharf and then delayed/are reworking the additional "shopping and dining" concept. Now this entire Avatar land.....
Lol! Joe Rhode can barely be considered an imagineer. He's a real self absorbed d bag. If the idea of Pandora can't inspire your imagination, then you have none Joe. It has nothing to do with whether it is a great movie or not (though my daughter and BF, 23 & 24) think it is great! It has to do with what can be done creatively within those parameters and just imagine the leeway of Pandora!

Take the chance and do it right.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #143
Experiment113
Mouseketeer

What are they actually supposed to build in Avatarland? What kind of ride is it going to be?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #144
Experiment113
Mouseketeer

My family talked about how cool it would be if instead of Avatarland if they built Narnia. It would fit it perfectly with the Animal theme since the people there live alongside animals!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #145
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experiment113
My family talked about how cool it would be if instead of Avatarland if they built Narnia. It would fit it perfectly with the Animal theme since the people there live alongside animals!
If narnia did well at the box office it would have been.the perfect replacement for beastlie kingdomme

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #146
johnGorski
Mouseketeer

BK in AK don't know why they can't just pull Avatar aside and move forward to a BK expansion.
johnGorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #147
MJMcBride

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnGorski
BK in AK don't know why they can't just pull Avatar aside and move forward to a BK expansion.
Bk is dead. They won't make it now

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Old 09-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #148
Pollyanna Poppins
DIS Veteran

I would also love to see Narnia. Why in the world Avatar was chosen is beyond me. I finally watched it and we all laughed at the idol worship of the trees/Earth. I think Avatar is a huge step in the wrong direction for Disney. I'd love to see it delayed permanently if they're really going to build it.
Pollyanna Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #149
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnGorski View Post
Well... Among other reasons.....

Large parts of BK were incorporated into Universal's Lost Continent, including it's major E-Ticket Attraction.... After Disney fired all the Imagineers who were working on it and Universal Creative subsequently hired them.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #150
MJMcBride

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall

Well... Among other reasons.....

Large parts of BK were incorporated into Universal's Lost Continent, including it's major E-Ticket Attraction.... After Disney fired all the Imagineers who were working on it and Universal Creative subsequently hired them.
Which is why you will never see bk at least ad originally intended

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: