Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #16
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
He had the FAA regulations saved on his laptop? Guess it came in handy!
No but he can websurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
Or he had WiFi on the plane.
yep, all the Delta jets have Wifi. It's not cheap but it provide entertainment. (Of course that assume it works....)

And I have never seen a case with a kid out of control where the parents didn't claim "my child is a perfect angel" I think it was AirTran where they had to throw the family off because "the perfect angel was running up and down the asile during the taxi to the runway" (A BIG NO NO!) So complaints by parents about the airline being mean I ignore.

In airline talk "rude and mean" generally mean "they wouldn't let me do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted to regardless of the rules, don't they know WHO I am"
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #17
jsilvers
DIS Veteran

The "official" FAA statement on the issue: http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviat.../InFO09018.pdf.
Walt Disney World – 5/02 (CBR), 12/03 (CSR), 9/04 (WL), 9/05 (WL), 2/06 (CR), 8/06 (CSR), 10/06 (POR), 1/07 (WL), 10/07 (Poly), 1/08 (POFQ), 5/08 (WL), 10/08 (WL), 1/09 (WL), 5/09 (BC), 7/09 (WL), 10/09 (WL), 1/10 (WL), 4/10 (Pop), 5/11 (WL), 8/11 (CR), 12/11 (CR), 4/12 (YC), 1/13 (Poly), 3/13 (Pop), 5/13 (BWV), 9/13 (WL), 12/13 (Poly), 8/14 (CR)
Tokyo Disney Resort – 6/07, 8/07, 11/07, 3/08, 7/08, 10/08, 6/09, 10/09, 12/09, 1/10, 4/10, 11/12 (Ambassador)
Disney Cruise Line – 10/07 (Wonder-PC to Nassau/CC), 8/12 (Magic-NY to Nowhere)
Disneyland – 3/05, 10/11 (GC), 10/13 (GC/ABD-Backstage Magic)
jsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #18
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilvers View Post
The "official" FAA statement on the issue: http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviat.../InFO09018.pdf.
So AA wasn't totally wrong saying "don't put anything in the seat back pocket". And really, AA can do whatever they want regarding the pocket, as long as it complies with FAA regs. If they say "no water bottles", then no water bottles. It just seemed strange to me.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #19
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
No but he can websurf.

yep, all the Delta jets have wifi.
OP was on AA, not Delta, although AA has wifi as well. It didn't occur to me that someone would pay to use wifi just to argue with an FA. It really doesn't matter what the official FAA regulation is, the FAs can always tighten the rules at their discretion. It just isn't worth arguing about little things like this with them.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #20
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OP was on AA, not Delta, although AA has wifi as well. It didn't occur to me that someone would pay to use wifi just to argue with an FA. It really doesn't matter what the official FAA regulation is, the FAs can always tighten the rules at their discretion. It just isn't worth arguing about little things like this with them.
Lots of us frequent flyers have monthly subscriptions. So there may not have been a charge.

And some of us are tired of the "lets make up new rules because we are bored game" The FAs don't really get to "tighten the rules at thier discretion" on most airlines without a good reason and "I want to abuse my power" is generally not a good reason And trying to claim it's an FAA regulation is an old FA trick. Just a few weeks ago I read a story where the FA claimed that the airline couldn't hold a plane for connecting passengers due to FAA regulations which require the plane to leave on time! OMG that was the funniest one yet. REALLY? In that case most US carriers should be bankrupt just from the fines for "leaving late" this FA claimed they would incur! LOL!

I wouldn't have bothered to look up the regs but if the FA had treated me the way he did the man across the aisle I would have sent Delta an email letting them now what happened. Of course he was kind of a jerk the entire flight.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #21
Tara
Bad Influence

Quote:
That's kind of a big assumption that the person paid for wifi JUST to argue with the FA, isn't it?

Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #22
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Lots of us frequent flyers have monthly subscriptions. So there may not have been a charge.

And some of us are tired of the "lets make up new rules because we are bored game" The FAs don't really get to "tighten the rules at thier discretion" on most airlines without a good reason and "I want to abuse my power" is generally not a good reason And trying to claim it's an FAA regulation is an old FA trick. Just a few weeks ago I read a story where the FA claimed that the airline couldn't hold a plane for connecting passengers due to FAA regulations which require the plane to leave on time! OMG that was the funniest one yet. REALLY? In that case most US carriers should be bankrupt just from the fines for "leaving late" this FA claimed they would incur! LOL!

I wouldn't have bothered to look up the regs but if the FA had treated me the way he did the man across the aisle I would have sent Delta an email letting them now what happened. Of course he was kind of a jerk the entire flight.
Regarding the bolded... couldn't AA have "tightened the rules" as a corporate policy (which is why I asked the question whether it was normal for them)? I think I heard the announcement on both flight, but have slept since then, so I'm not sure.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #23
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Regarding the bolded... couldn't AA have "tightened the rules" as a corporate policy (which is why I asked the question whether it was normal for them)? I think I heard the announcement on both flight, but have slept since then, so I'm not sure.
Then they should "own" up and say "AA requires" not try to claime it's an FAA regulation.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #24
jeff968
DIS Veteran

I've flown AA a number of times over the past few years and have been happy with them. We joined the American Advantge group and were suprised to get free luggage for our last trip. They have a great new terminal at JFK. The only airline that I would categorize as exceptional is Virgin American. Best flight i was ever on. IMHO but I'll keep flying AA as long as the flight prices are good and they have been.

14 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD, MIL)
13, 12, 11 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD with us, 2 in college)
10 Marriott Newport beach villas, California (DW, 3 kids)
09 Marriott Horizons (DW, 2 kids, MIL)
08 Marriott Cypress Harbor/Grand Vista (2 kids)
07 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
06 Marriott Imperial Palm (DW, 3 kids, MIL, cousin)
05 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
04 Vistana Villages/Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
03 AKL/Orange Lake (3 kids)
02 HGVC Seaworld (3 kids)
01 Vistana Resort (3 kids)
00 Radisson Resort Pkwy (3 kids)
97 Radisson Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
95 Sheraton Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
93 Dixie Landings (2 kids)
92 Port Orleans (1 child)
86 Sheraton world (the wife & I)
73 Can't remember (M&D&B&S&GM)
jeff968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #25
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Then they should "own" up and say "AA requires" not try to claime it's an FAA regulation.
I think you're getting your story and my story confused. YOU were the one who said a DELTA FA claimed it was an FAA regulation. I never said AA's FA's claimed that... they just said "nothing in the seat back pocket". Which is why I asked whether this was normal for AA.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #26
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
I think you're getting your story and my story confused. YOU were the one who said a DELTA FA claimed it was an FAA regulation. I never said AA's FA's claimed that... they just said "nothing in the seat back pocket". Which is why I asked whether this was normal for AA.
I agree, but out of curiosity I sent an email to a friend of mine who is an AA FA. Her response?

"what? Why would they care where the water bottles go?"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: