Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Other Big Family Disney Fans?

I know I've seen one other family on here with 8 kids.
Anybody else crazy enough to take a bigger than usual family to WDW?
[And we were accused of being crazy when we took FIVE kids to WDW, so you don't have to have EIGHT kids to qualify!]

We normally stay at Pop Century, try to get free dining, and drive ourselves down in the family bus.

Hope to meet some other big families here or at WDW!
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Lilliputian
DIS Veteran

We have 5. At home we have 7, because we've "adopted" two college students, but they only go on weekend camping trips close to home with us due to school and working.

Our next trip is going to be a month long, so we're staying in a house in Windsor Hills. We did the same thing last time, but we only had 4 then. This time our boys will be 9, 8, 5, 2, and 5 months. We're trying to decide what to drive. My husband wants to drive his Armada (8 seats) and tow a trailer for all of our stuff because the seats are so comfortable in the Armada. I'm leaning toward taking the last row out of my 12 seat Econoline. We won't have to tow anything, and we won't have to flip the seat over every single time we get in and out of the car.

My husband works from home, and we homeschool, which is why we can take long trips. He'll end up working many of the days that we're there, so I'll take the boys to the parks by myself. It was a lot easier last time than I thought it would be, so I'm hoping it works out as well with an infant this time. I think I'm going to buy one of those handles that you can hook onto your stroller for walking kids to hold on to. That should make my life easier.
Lilliputian is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Forgot to add that we have 3 boys and 5 girls, ages 18 down to 2.
All of them were added the old fashioned way.
Our oldest has graduated and is currently working as a mother's helper/nanny, but is hoping to come with us on our next trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliputian View Post
We have 5. At home we have 7, because we've "adopted" two college students, but they only go on weekend camping trips close to home with us due to school and working.

Our next trip is going to be a month long, so we're staying in a house in Windsor Hills. We did the same thing last time, but we only had 4 then. This time our boys will be 9, 8, 5, 2, and 5 months. We're trying to decide what to drive. My husband wants to drive his Armada (8 seats) and tow a trailer for all of our stuff because the seats are so comfortable in the Armada. I'm leaning toward taking the last row out of my 12 seat Econoline. We won't have to tow anything, and we won't have to flip the seat over every single time we get in and out of the car.

My husband works from home, and we homeschool, which is why we can take long trips. He'll end up working many of the days that we're there, so I'll take the boys to the parks by myself. It was a lot easier last time than I thought it would be, so I'm hoping it works out as well with an infant this time. I think I'm going to buy one of those handles that you can hook onto your stroller for walking kids to hold on to. That should make my life easier.
Sounds like some great plans!

We homeschool also, but have to vacation around dh's work schedule. It's fun to have at least that little bit of flexibility, though.
You're brave to take them to the parks alone...I haven't done that yet!
The youngest we've taken was 10 mo., but she did really well.
Happy planning!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
jomommy
Mouseketeer

Yep, although we don't feel like a big family, but we are to most people.

We have six, my oldest will be 13 tomorrow and the others are 10, 9, 6, 3, and 1. Our first family trip to WDW we had four, 8 and under and I was pregnant with #5, the second we had five and I was pregnant with the baby. This will be my first trip to WDW that I'm not pregnant since my honeymoon in 1997. I can't wait to ride some roller coasters.

ETA: We used to homeschool and we drive a 9 passenger Suburban. Planning on putting the luggage shell on top. Ha!
jomommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
hipporina
I keep Kleenex in business

We definitely qualify. We have 9 kids - 16, 14, 13, 12, 12, 11, 10, 10, and 4 months. The older 8 are adopted. We have taken all 8 four times. We drove one year and have flown the rest. We always stay at values and go during free dining.

We are going back in September and are so excited. In addition to our 9, one of my oldest son's friends is basically living with us (his family is having some serious issues right now) and he is going with us as well. We will be flying and staying in the regular rooms at Art of Animation with free dining.

I was watching the video from our trip in 2006 the other day and it was crazy. When we went, we had only had 4 of the kids for 2 months are were still figuring out how to be a family of 10. Plus, those 4 still were working through some behavior issues. The kids were all between 4 and 10. I remember having a great time, but looking back I can't figure out how we did it! It gets easier every year.

WDW: 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, Dec 2013
Disneyland: 2009
hipporina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
jomommy
Mouseketeer

Hipporina, I see the photo in your sig, beautiful family.

We have volunteered for a ministry for teenage foster kids for a while and plan to adopt teenagers once a few have left the nest. One day while discussing it, one of my sons said, "That would be great! I'd love to have lots of brothers and sisters!" Apparently, five isn't enough.

Its all perspective. My mom was #13 of 14 and my dad was #3 of 7. I always thought my dad had such a small family. It still blows my mind that my husband only has three cousins!! I have 63 first cousins, that's besides the fact that most of my cousins my age were actually my second cousins (cousins kids).

Blessings to all you big families!
jomommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipporina View Post
We definitely qualify. We have 9 kids - 16, 14, 13, 12, 12, 11, 10, 10, and 4 months. The older 8 are adopted. We have taken all 8 four times. We drove one year and have flown the rest. We always stay at values and go during free dining.

We are going back in September and are so excited. In addition to our 9, one of my oldest son's friends is basically living with us (his family is having some serious issues right now) and he is going with us as well. We will be flying and staying in the regular rooms at Art of Animation with free dining.

I was watching the video from our trip in 2006 the other day and it was crazy. When we went, we had only had 4 of the kids for 2 months are were still figuring out how to be a family of 10. Plus, those 4 still were working through some behavior issues. The kids were all between 4 and 10. I remember having a great time, but looking back I can't figure out how we did it! It gets easier every year.
If you ever feel like sharing your story, and care to PM me about it, I would love to hear it! Your pic is beautiful!!! Thanks for chiming in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomommy View Post
Yep, although we don't feel like a big family, but we are to most people.

We have six, my oldest will be 13 tomorrow and the others are 10, 9, 6, 3, and 1. Our first family trip to WDW we had four, 8 and under and I was pregnant with #5, the second we had five and I was pregnant with the baby. This will be my first trip to WDW that I'm not pregnant since my honeymoon in 1997. I can't wait to ride some roller coasters.

ETA: We used to homeschool and we drive a 9 passenger Suburban. Planning on putting the luggage shell on top. Ha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomommy View Post
Hipporina, I see the photo in your sig, beautiful family.

We have volunteered for a ministry for teenage foster kids for a while and plan to adopt teenagers once a few have left the nest. One day while discussing it, one of my sons said, "That would be great! I'd love to have lots of brothers and sisters!" Apparently, five isn't enough.

Its all perspective. My mom was #13 of 14 and my dad was #3 of 7. I always thought my dad had such a small family. It still blows my mind that my husband only has three cousins!! I have 63 first cousins, that's besides the fact that most of my cousins my age were actually my second cousins (cousins kids).

Blessings to all you big families!
Six is definitely big! [Am I the only one that cracks up at the Walmart commercial where the lady with three kids says she has to save money because she has a BIG family??? LOL]

My dh says when the kids are gone we'll downsize. Considering the youngest is 2, I don't think he realizes how long that will be. Also, I always ask him "Where will we put the 64 grandchildren???" He just twitches at that one. LOL

Thanks for popping in here...I LOVE hearing about all the big families!

Forgot to add: My mom was first of five, my dad was 3rd. of four, I only have a brother and a sister (and they have 2 and 3 kids respectively) and dh only has a sister (with 2 kids). We are the "unusual" ones in our family.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
hipporina
I keep Kleenex in business

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom5

If you ever feel like sharing your story, and care to PM me about it, I would love to hear it! Your pic is beautiful!!! Thanks for chiming in!
Thank you so much. I'm a very proud momma! I love to share our story with people, but since it is rather lengthy, I will point you to my blog. It is www.choosinglaughterandlove.wordpress.com. If you want to know more or have any questions, please feel free to ask!

WDW: 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, Dec 2013
Disneyland: 2009
hipporina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipporina View Post
Thank you so much. I'm a very proud momma! I love to share our story with people, but since it is rather lengthy, I will point you to my blog. It is www.choosinglaughterandlove.wordpress.com. If you want to know more or have any questions, please feel free to ask!
Thank you, I'll take a look!
I think I'm drawn to your family pic because we always wear matching colors too! LOL
Old 07-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #10
clintswifeymomof4
I <3 Muscles

We have 5 kids and whenever someone says "wow, you have your hands full," I always reply "well it's better than them being empty!"

Our last trip was so much fun that we are going back next year!
Nikki ~ Wife to 1, Mom to 5 (DD10, DSD10, DD7, DS4, DD2)! FW Cabins: Feb 17-24, 2012 (Free Dining!), BWV Studio Feb 9-12, 2013 (Mom & Dad only!) AKL Value 2 Bedroom: Apr 21-26, 2013 (Kids allowed this time!)With a SURPRISE trip to Legoland, Fl
clintswifeymomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #11
KarenW
Mouseketeer

I'll chime in! We have six, but since one has flown the nest (and has a wife of his own now) we "only" have five at home. Our oldest is my bio and my DH adopted, next two are bio, one of the littles is adopted and the other two will (hopefully!) be adopted soon. Our adoption worker called us a "true blended family" the other day. We get the "you have your hands full" comment a lot, but I think it is not the amount but the fact that the three little ones are so close in age. They are all within 11 months of each other. This trip we finally have a camper big enough and are camping at Ft Wilderness. I am very excited. We have been wanting to camp there for a long time. We also homeschool.

RIP - we'll miss you, Buddy! 1994-2009 and Kacy! 1994-2011
Offsite too many times to count as a child and with first DS,Aug/Sept 2003 POR,Sept 2005 ASMo,Mar 2006 POR,May 2007 SOG,Sept 2007 CSR,Jan 2008 POP,Oct 2008 POFQ, Jan 2009 POP,Sept 2009 POR, Jan 2010 POP,Nov/Dec 2010 ASMo, Sept 2011 AKV, Jan 2012 POR,Sept 2012 FtW,Jan 2013 AoA,Sept 2013 POP,Jan 2014 offsite house
KarenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #12
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintswifeymomof4 View Post
We have 5 kids and whenever someone says "wow, you have your hands full," I always reply "well it's better than them being empty!"

Our last trip was so much fun that we are going back next year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenW View Post
I'll chime in! We have six, but since one has flown the nest (and has a wife of his own now) we "only" have five at home. Our oldest is my bio and my DH adopted, next two are bio, one of the littles is adopted and the other two will (hopefully!) be adopted soon. Our adoption worker called us a "true blended family" the other day. We get the "you have your hands full" comment a lot, but I think it is not the amount but the fact that the three little ones are so close in age. They are all within 11 months of each other. This trip we finally have a camper big enough and are camping at Ft Wilderness. I am very excited. We have been wanting to camp there for a long time. We also homeschool.
Awesome! Thanks for posting.

When we were at WDW the first time with our kids, we saw a couple with one little girl, about 4 years old.
We had 5 at the time (and I was actually pregnant with #6, but only dh knew), and they said to us the standard "are they all yours?"
We cheerfully said "yes" and wondered what they'd say.
The wife said "FIVE kids!!!" and the dh said "why not five kids?" and the wife said "that's true...my dad was one of five."
We've always wondered if they decided to have more kids! We weren't trying to be the good will ambassadors for big families, but we're a bit obvious when we go places in our matching shirts. LOL

Love hearing about all of your families!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

We have 5 kids. We love it! We have taken them to WDW many times. They are great little travellers. We love a house full.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
dd53
Mouseketeer

Our first time we were at Disney we had 4 kids and did the family suite. We are planning our trip for next June now with 8 kids (ages 4-15 at time of travel). Planning on two rooms at POR unless we get a deluxe discount.
The girls: 13, 9, 8, 4

8/18/09-8/23/09 ASMu Family Suite!

June 2013 adoption celebration trip!!!!!
6/18-6/23 POR then 6/23-6/27 BC!!!! Can't wait!!!
dd53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
dd53
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipporina

Can you tell me how you stay at the values? We thought about three rooms at the values but didn't think we could because we only have two adults.
The girls: 13, 9, 8, 4

8/18/09-8/23/09 ASMu Family Suite!

June 2013 adoption celebration trip!!!!!
6/18-6/23 POR then 6/23-6/27 BC!!!! Can't wait!!!
dd53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: