Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #16
kaismommie
Mommy of 2 Toddlers

I'm a graduate student in Wilmington, NC and they charge a service fee here as well if a credit card is used

Mommy to Kai (DS6) and Mimi (DD4)

Thanksgiving at Disney! November 21-25, 2012. (AOA: Little Mermaid)
Disney Cruise on the Dream for April 29-May 3, 2012 2012
Disney for Mimi's 3rd Bday, May 10-14, 2011 (Caribbean Beach Resort)
DISNEY Christmas!! December 12-17, 2010. (All Star Movie Resort)
FIRST On-site say June28-July2, 2010 (All Star Movie Resort)
Prior to the dates above, I lost count
kaismommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #17
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

My daughter attends a medium-sized state university, and we are encouraged to pay her bill with a credit card. Her school is very pro-environment, and they will not send out physical bills /do not want you to send paper checks.

I called to be sure no credit card fee would be attached -- nope.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #18
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
My daughter attends a medium-sized state university, and we are encouraged to pay her bill with a credit card. Her school is very pro-environment, and they will not send out physical bills /do not want you to send paper checks.

I called to be sure no credit card fee would be attached -- nope.
That is great! Ours do not send bills either...we have to print them ourselves and then address an envelope and mail it or take it in (but we didn't want to stand in lines....and yes, our kids COULD have done it, but we have twins and there have been SO many computer mix ups because of the 'twin' issue that we wanted to pay them ourselves...so we addressed two envelopes and mailed in both payments).

But it would be so nice to be able to just pay online electronically...in fact, they would have gotten our money sooner and a person would not have had to open the envelope and prepare the check for deposit.

But no.....I won't pay the extra fee for using a credit card.
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #19
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

No physical bills is not unusual. Neither UNC Charlotte nor UNC-Chapel Hill send them, and there is a charge for using a credit card at the latter. I assume most people pay the way we did - online with an e-check. We were able to pay the much smaller orientation fee with a credit card.

My experience with kids 10 years apart, four universities all in the UNC system: 1-no credit cards accepted, 2-any credit card with no fee, 3-Visa only with no fee, 4-see above, and I think it may be Mastercard only (trying to remember from paying the deposit, which we also did with an e-check).
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #20
imsayin
DIS Veteran

DD's school charges a 3% fee for using credit cards. Yes, I was sad
imsayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #21
msp2mco
Mouseketeer

I am glad that schools charge a credit card fee. Otherwise, part of my payment is going to the credit card company. I want every dollar I am putting toward college to be going toward college.
msp2mco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #22
Kitten
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I am glad that schools charge a credit card fee. Otherwise, part of my payment is going to the credit card company. I want every dollar I am putting toward college to be going toward college.
I am in total agreement with this...I was shocked when we made the first tuition payment and realized there was no service charge. But I got the feeling that the university did not care where the money came from, just that the bill was paid. Luckily we put everything on the credit card and then paid that off with our savings.
Dream Disney Job: Conch Flats General Store at Old Key West
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
westjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp2mco View Post

I understand that...but it is frustrating when we have to pay all of these fees for things my kids won't use. Like the Health Center fees. They won't be using that (since they are commuters, they will go to the doctor the same way they always have). And there is a fee to cover the cost of printing out papers....they won't be doing that, they prints stuff at home. And just a lot of fees to cover a lot of things. So it would have just been nice to be able to pay online with a credit card without an additional fee. A lot less hassle for them not to receive payments in the mail and then taking the check to the bank.

But oh well.....sounds like our college is not the only one, and it is only twice a year so we will deal with it. Just really was hoping for those Disney Reward points
Old 09-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #24
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by westjones View Post
I am just curious....we have twins who just started college this year and I thought one 'perk' from this expense would be racking up Disney Reward Points. But then I find out that their college charges a service fee if you pay by credit card. So we wrote out checks instead because the service fee was 2.5% (so there would be no 'rewards' benefit to that).

Is that typical for colleges to do that? The bookstore didn't do that, so we at least got to earn some reward points on that expense. But for the tuition we won't at all.
Same at my son's school. We move money online to pay for his tuition and fees before the semester starts. No rewards.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #25
sammielynn
DIS Veteran

We can pay tutiton with a credit card, but DS had a 529 account and I haven't had to pay much out of pocket. I was hoping to pay his rent with my Disney Visa, nope, they charge a fee! He is in off campus housing.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #26
westjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammielynn View Post
We can pay tutiton with a credit card, but DS had a 529 account and I haven't had to pay much out of pocket. I was hoping to pay his rent with my Disney Visa, nope, they charge a fee! He is in off campus housing.
Wow...that's a bummer too! I guess at least we can charge for their books. I am assuming that is the case for most people also. Bookstores take credit cards?

Oh well.....there went my dreams of more Disney Rewards points. I am really hoping to have enough in March 2013 to be able to take them to Disney and let them invite a friend each and stay in a 2 bedroom with our DVC points and pay for all of the food with our Disney Rewards. Then we would just pay for gas for our van to drive there and all the friends would have to pay for is the tickets to get in.

If I had more reward points, I would consider offering to buy tickets, but I can see that I won't have enough based on what I am charging each month.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #27
Mary Anne
Not sure what season that is
I couldn't figure this out It was driving me crazy

For once I was on the right side of the credit card. No fee from college, one son's too Am Ex and one my Disney Visa. Got frequent flyer miles from Am Ex and I think we've gotten at least 2 DVC annual passes from my disney pts.
Mary Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #28
disneyeveryyear
Not fully packed until she gets on the plane and then there’s always Wal-Mart!
Disney Lover!!!! (I think I am addicted to exclamation points!)

My DS18 is a freshman at an Illinois State School (SIU-C).

I was able to pay his full bill (tuition, fees, room & board) on my Disney Visa with no fees charged.

I charged it all and will take it out of savings and pay the bill next week. The check from his 529 plan was written out to us and we put it in the college savings account just waiting to pay the visa.

A couple hundred Disney Dollars every year is nothing to sneeze at!
Old 09-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #29
IUTBAM
DIS Veteran

My DD goes to a state university here in CO and there is no additional charge for using a CC. I love the cashback rewards! :D
IUTBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #30
Belle & Ariel
DIS Veteran

Our third child is at a 5000 student private university in TN and we paid with Discover with no fee. Our other two went to 2 other public colleges and we always paid by credit card online and never had a fee.
I think the fee the schools pay to get the money now offsets carrying a balance and sending monthly bills.
Belle & Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: