Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
pumpkinpatchquilter
Mouseketeer

Anyone Concerned About Hurricanes? I Am!

I'm sure you've all heard this before...but I'm a little nervous about hurricanes! We go to Disney World the last week of September and I'm not so worried about a hurricane while we're there as I am a hurricane when we're flying there or flying home! I would assume they would cancel flights if it's unsafe...this is my first time flying so I'm sort of a scaredy cat.

Anyone worried about the same thing? Is there anyway to know this early if there will be any risk near the time we go?
Old 09-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
littlebit0863
Mouseketeer

I was at Disney during a hurricane in 2004. We flew around a different tropical storm on the way there. The airport was closed for the hurricane and we were able to fly out the day after. Hope this helps!
littlebit0863 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

You know, this crossed my mind yesterday too... ;( I surely hope not. YIKES. We will be there the 21st-25th.

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

April 2005- Offsite.. My now DH's first time
December 2005- Offsite ( ENGAGED at MK)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-All Star Sport ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012- 1 night @ POFQ
September 2012- 3 nights @ AOA
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2014- Weekend Surprise at Port Orleans Riverside!

October 2013 TR- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3207813
Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
sturowski
Mouseketeer

I think about it every year we go in September! Let's hope not we will be there sept 19-25!
sturowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
Dani C
DIS Veteran

AKL (as well as other single building resorts) is wonderful if you are on property during a hurricane. When Charley came through we were confined to the resort, but could still look in the shop and a sack lunch was provided at Boma. The restaurants were closed. Also, additional programming was added to the televisions.

Note: Don't worry about the animals. They have underground facilities during bad weather. Disney does their best to keep everyone safe.

Dani C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

You don't have to worry about hurricanes and flying. Flights will be canceled if it's not safe to fly. What you should worry about if that happens, is getting on a rescheduled flight!
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
chuckabone
Mouseketeer

I wasn't worried till I read this! LOL! We leave on the 19th till the 26th.
All hurricanes must stay away!
chuckabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

Dont worry about your flights, the airlines wont fly if its not safe. I was flying home from Denver to Atlanta to Jackson, MS the day of the tornados that took out much of MS and Alabama. I had No idea it was going on - I landed in ATL and watch the Tuscaloosa tornado live on the TVs in the terminal. My plane took off on time, but we flew MUCH higher than normal, so much so that the flight was LESS bumpy that a "normal" flight from ATL to JAN.

Having flown many times, all over the country in every weather type you can think of, you'll be fine. I've been grounded and delayed, but never unsafe in the air.

And if you get stuck at Disney - at least you'd be stuck AT Disney and not HOME! :D

Coronado Springs 2014 PTR
Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time TR POFQ 2012 OKW 09
1stvisit0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #9
pumpkinpatchquilter
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stvisit0909 View Post
Dont worry about your flights, the airlines wont fly if its not safe. I was flying home from Denver to Atlanta to Jackson, MS the day of the tornados that took out much of MS and Alabama. I had No idea it was going on - I landed in ATL and watch the Tuscaloosa tornado live on the TVs in the terminal. My plane took off on time, but we flew MUCH higher than normal, so much so that the flight was LESS bumpy that a "normal" flight from ATL to JAN.

Having flown many times, all over the country in every weather type you can think of, you'll be fine. I've been grounded and delayed, but never unsafe in the air.

And if you get stuck at Disney - at least you'd be stuck AT Disney and not HOME! :D
Your post really does make me feel better! LOL* That's what I like to hear - people who fly all the time with no problem. I'm just a worry wart kind of person but everything is heightened because I've never experienced a hurricane OR flying!

Also, hahaha, about being stuck at Disney, good thing the Hubby doesn't have to be back to work the day after we return, being stuck at Disney wouldn't be so bad I agree!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckabone View Post
I wasn't worried till I read this! LOL! We leave on the 19th till the 26th.
All hurricanes must stay away!
Sorry! I worry about EVERYTHING! Lol* I wasn't too worried until Issac and the possibility of it hitting Orlando. Even still I think from what I understand one or more of the Disney Resort hotels is supposed to be an emergency shelter in case of a hurricane isn't it? THAT part makes me feel confident, I'm just totally scared to fly and get stuck in one!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
You don't have to worry about hurricanes and flying. Flights will be canceled if it's not safe to fly. What you should worry about if that happens, is getting on a rescheduled flight!
Hahaha - that's probably the truth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani C View Post
AKL (as well as other single building resorts) is wonderful if you are on property during a hurricane. When Charley came through we were confined to the resort, but could still look in the shop and a sack lunch was provided at Boma. The restaurants were closed. Also, additional programming was added to the televisions.

Note: Don't worry about the animals. They have underground facilities during bad weather. Disney does their best to keep everyone safe.
Holy cow I didn't even THINK about the animals!!! Oh my gosh can you say JURASSIC PARK??? Lol* I'm glad that I must not be the only one who thinks this way...lol*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturowski View Post
I think about it every year we go in September! Let's hope not we will be there sept 19-25!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsheliz View Post
You know, this crossed my mind yesterday too... ;( I surely hope not. YIKES. We will be there the 21st-25th.
Me too! We'll be there just after you! Wow you've only got a few days left!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebit0863 View Post
I was at Disney during a hurricane in 2004. We flew around a different tropical storm on the way there. The airport was closed for the hurricane and we were able to fly out the day after. Hope this helps!
That does help - it's a scary thought though!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #10
krd315
Mouseketeer

We will be there 25th-29th and yes I have thought about it. But more along the lines of I want sunshine not rain while we are there

Next up: Sept 2014 -POR
Past trips: Aug 2013, Sept 2012, Jan 2012, Aug 2000
krd315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Celidh
DIS Veteran

The only thing that worries me about Disney, flying and hurricanes is not getting there on time. I'd be happy to be delayed going home though.

We went on our first WDW trip last year just as hurricane Irene was passing through the Halifax, NS area. We were up all night checking the flight cancellations hoping we got out. We did. We were a bit delayed but that was a mechanical thing. I must say, I was very tired after not sleeping all night. My big concern wasn't not getting there (not that I wanted that to happen) but that we had a layover in Montreal where we were meeting up with my mom and she was continuing with us. I was afraid that either she would make it all the way to Florida and we wouldn't or the other way around. Gosh, my mom can get lost in a bathroom, who knows what would happen if she was alone in Disney!

We are going this year the end of September.

Celidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
ladybugsteph
Earning My Ears

I've been keeping an eye on the weather, since our trip starts on the 23rd! I'm really hoping the bad weather stays away long enough for us to enjoy our trip!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"

Yes. That's why my family does not vacation in WDW in late August or September (the times when hurricanes are MOST LIKELY to occur).
Jan 2006 Pop CenturyMay 2005 Pop Century May 2004 Pop Century Dec 1976 Off Site
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #14
Tinkerpeas hubby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
I'm sure you've all heard this before...but I'm a little nervous about hurricanes! We go to Disney World the last week of September and I'm not so worried about a hurricane while we're there as I am a hurricane when we're flying there or flying home! I would assume they would cancel flights if it's unsafe...this is my first time flying so I'm sort of a scaredy cat.

Anyone worried about the same thing? Is there anyway to know this early if there will be any risk near the time we go?
Relax! In any circumstance you will be safe.
The aircrew and ATC on the ground monitor the weather, so that in the event a hurricane shifts direction, they can move to contingency plans, such as alternative flight paths and airports.
Majority of turbulence experienced whilst in flight is hot pockets of air that are rising up from
the ground or sea.

Moi (31): dw (27): B (10) Ant (7): Avatar (7):
Tinkerpeas hubby is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: