Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #16
stoofyg
Earning My Ears

Re breast milk in the stateroom refrigerators - when I was breastfeeding my son's pediatrician wrote a note that we needed a real refrigerator in the room. I faxed it ahead of time and we had no problem. That was in the Magic in 2009.
stoofyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #17
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

The stateroom fridge or cooling box will keep the milk cool enough. I went on a business trip and had to keep three days worth of pumped milk in cooling box at the hotel (very similar to the one on the Magic) and it stayed cool. You could also use the ice pack and cooler from the pump if you don't feel comfortable.

Some info from LLLI- (you may know this already if you BF your older children)

"Preferably, human milk should be refrigerated or chilled right after it is expressed. Acceptable guidelines for storing human milk are as follows. Store milk:
•at room temperature (66-78°F, 19-26°C) for 4 hours (ideal), up to 6 hours (acceptable) (Some sources use 8 hours)
•in a refrigerator (<39°F, <4°C) for 72 hours (ideal), up to 8 days (acceptable if collected in a very clean, careful way)"

"According to THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, page 228, research indicates that human milk has previously unrecognized properties that protect it from bacterial contamination. One study, Pardou 1994, found that after 8 days of refrigeration some of the milk actually had lower bacterial levels than it did on the day it was expressed."

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #18
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

Thank you, everyone!! This has all helped immensely. I hadn't thought about dealing with dirty bottles if he goes to the nursery and takes a bottle. So the counselors will send the bottles back to us unwashed? This means I would pack the bottle brush and some dish soap. Funny how the packing list just gets longer and longer with little ones.

This is essentially my first experience with breastfeeding. I made it less than 2 weeks with my daughters before switching to formula. It was just too much with 3 at once. Anyway, I guess I'm being overly cautious regarding the storage of the milk. I should be able to time it to where I pump as he's getting ready to go to the nursery. It's also good to know a regular refrigerator would be available and that the cooling box in the room is acceptable. Thanks again!

Bringing his own bed sheets and perhaps a little extra padding for the pack and play is a great idea, too. He currently sleeps in his crib at night and a pack and play during the day. He does well in it now so I'm hoping if we keep using it there will be no problems! We will also go ahead and get a smaller stroller with a good recline for naps.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
Keggy
So this is a first for us
Thank you everyone for the great welcome!

Yes, they will give it back to you unwashed.

And yes - the list does keep getting longer!! Ha ha! This cruise for us it is a bit shorter bc we don't have to bring food or formula!!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #20
MommaSnowwhite
DIS Veteran

They do have bottle aterilizers. You get them from guest services.
MommaSnowwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #21
MommaSnowwhite
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaSnowwhite
They do have bottle aterilizers. You get them from guest services.
Sterilizers
MommaSnowwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #22
kgundyfire
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for everyone's posts. We have just rescheduled our cruise to 1/4/13 sailing out of Galveston. Our baby isn't even born yet, but is due 9/26. So it should be about 13 weeks when we sail out - unless it comes earlier which I am hoping for. Our whole family is going (19 of us), so that is why we booked the cruise with an infant. We will also have our DD 10, DS 5 with us. They are so looking forward to going on another Disney cruise. We took them last September with the whole family and everyone had a blast.

So seeing that other people travel with infants this young makes me feel a little better that it is doable and we will still have a great time. My TA keeps on telling me that the crew is very good with infants in the nursery and that the characters will even come in and interact with the baby - if we decide to put it in the nursery. I think we will probably book some hours in the nursery and we can always cancel if it doesn't go well.

_
WDW as a kid ... 1985, 1996
WDW with my own kids ... Oct 2010
Our first Disney Cruise on the Disney Dream ... Sept 4, 2011
Our 2nd Disney Cruise on the Disney Magic ... Jan 4, 2013
Our Third Disney Cruise on the Disney Wonder ... Nov 2, 2013
kgundyfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: