Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #61
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

I dont think anybody has died on it yet.
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #62
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Honestly, Splash is like nothing to me but I love thrill rides. I really think you'll be okay! It is a BLAST!!
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #63
katt789
DIS Veteran

You'll definitely survive splash! It's one of the easiest rides to do! It was the first big thrill ride I did and it's now my absolute favorite! The drop is nothing!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #64
jkiszka
Earning My Ears

You'll survive. You may get wet, but speaking from personal experience, you probably won't even get wet. (I seem to get more wet on the beginning of the ride (when you go around brier patch) than on the actual drop.)

My upper eighty-something year old grandparents rode Splash Mountain when they went a couple of weeks ago. Anyone who goes to Disney and doesn't ride Splash (at least once) is missing out. It's easily one of the most remarkable rides ever created. There really isn't anything else like it...

Vacation Count:
WDW: 27, U-FL: 3, DL: 2, U-CA: 1
Timeline (What I remember):
WDW: 1988, 1989 - Off-Prop, 1990 - Poly, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2000 - POFQ, 2001 - ASMusic, 2007 - Off-Prop, 2009 - Universal, 2010 - ASMusic, 2012 - CoSp
DL: 2011, 2012 - Off-Prop
UPCOMING: 2/2013 - Disneyland / Hilton Anaheim

Click here to see the current coaster list. (103 unique coasters and counting)
jkiszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #65
Eljay
DIS Veteran

Location: Lounging around the Royal Assante Suite at the AKL in my leopard pajamas, drinking Champagne! (In my dreams!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytheblood
I dont think anybody has died on it yet.
Except for that one guy in 2000.
Eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #66
BarbieGal457
DIS Veteran

You'll be fine! My terrified DBF did it and came out like a pro. But the kicker? I was the one who convinced him to ride with all of us, as I was very scared too (the only Disney ride besides EE that I've never done). When it comes time to man up, I walk into the log...and keep on walking out the other side to the chicken exit! He was brave enough to stay behind, and loved every minute of it.

Maybe next year for me!
Old 09-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #67
ReluctantDisaholic
Mouseketeer

I'm a big ride chicken and I did Splash Mountain with no problem - although I keep my eyes closed for the drop each time.
March 2013 - POR
March 2014 - POR/POFQ
August 2015 - Beach Club??

ReluctantDisaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #68
Jkpark
DIS Veteran

You will be fine. I don't like the drop - hate all drops. But the rest of the ride is fun, relaxing and cute - totally worth the few seconds down the hill. And I love that they added lap bars - makes me feel more secure. I had fun with DD5 last time making different faces each time down the hill - she thought it was fun and it helped me think of something other than the drop...

WDW: Dec '85 (offsite), May '01 (offsite), Nov '02 (POFQ/Swan), Jan '07 (POP), Oct '08 (offsite), May '11 (SSR), Sept '12 (offsite/BLT)
March 2012 Aulani
Plus lots of trips to Disneyland
Jkpark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #69
chloe4ever
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilesoflaundry View Post
Because some kids are thrill seekers and aren't always afraid. It's not that bad, really. It is a great ride and I would hate if they took that drop out and I'm sure plenty of other people would too. There are so many tame and slow family or kid friendly rides at disney already. They need something with a touch of a thrill for the families that want that. It's nice disney has something for everyone.

One of my kids used to cry at Bush Gardens because she could NOT ride the big rides, she wasn't tall enough. Some kids, even young kids love that stuff. Splash is fun for her but it's not fast enough I've got another one that cries if you even mention the thrill rides. Everyone is different and it would not be fun if disney had all the same type of rides and they had nothing fun and exciting.
Believe me, Disney has PLENTY of non thrill rides like you said. They are lacking rides with ANY kind of bite to them......and not that I think that this ride is "high thrill" at least it is not as slow and kiddie friendly as all the other rides at Disney.

They need more rides for the daring and thrill seeking people who actually want to have fun............
chloe4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #70
chloe4ever
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
Except for that one guy in 2000.
And those twins in 2006......
chloe4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #71
rootbeerkid
Did I hear a young noise blast through here? It was just wormie on another rampage.

You’ll be fine. Just a few things to remember…

• Inspect the bottom of the boats for snakes prior to embarking - the little ones are the most venomous and they’re so small that it’s hard to see them.
• Press that lap-bar as tight as it can get and then press even harder. Before the lap-bar, folks were violently and routinely being launched right out of the boat!
• Keep your head low as sometimes malfunctioning whirling animatronics can decapitate. This is what claimed the guy in 2000.
• Don’t get wet! The water has been known to carry dangerous bacteria. I think this is what got the twins in 2006.
• Related to not getting wet, don’t put your hands (or feet or any part of you) out of the boat. Brer Piranha lives in that water and has been known to leap and take a bite out of body parts that are hovering over the water unprotected.
• If an order to disembark and evacuate comes over the loud speaker, do it immediately and follow the exit signs quickly. The place is prone to flash fires caused by friction overheat of the malfunctioning animatronics mentioned earlier.
• If you smell gas, hold your breath as long as you can. Brer Dragon, since removed, had a acetylene-based fire-breathing simulation that was never quite capped properly. Don’t try to sneak a smoke either as you may be the cause of a flash fire mentioned earlier.

With these precautions in mind, just relax and you’ll be fine!

PS – Actually, think of Splash Mountain ride as It’s a Small World with the addition of a few mild changes in elevation.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #72
Eljay
DIS Veteran

Location: Lounging around the Royal Assante Suite at the AKL in my leopard pajamas, drinking Champagne! (In my dreams!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeerkid
You’ll be fine. Just a few things to remember…

• Inspect the bottom of the boats for snakes prior to embarking - the little ones are the most venomous and they’re so small that it’s hard to see them.
• Press that lap-bar as tight as it can get and then press even harder. Before the lap-bar, folks were violently and routinely being launched right out of the boat!
• Keep your head low as sometimes malfunctioning whirling animatronics can decapitate. This is what claimed the guy in 2000.
• Don’t get wet! The water has been known to carry dangerous bacteria. I think this is what got the twins in 2006.
• Related to not getting wet, don’t put your hands (or feet or any part of you) out of the boat. Brer Piranha lives in that water and has been known to leap and take a bite out of body parts that are hovering over the water unprotected.
• If an order to disembark and evacuate comes over the loud speaker, do it immediately and follow the exit signs quickly. The place is prone to flash fires caused by friction overheat of the malfunctioning animatronics mentioned earlier.
• If you smell gas, hold your breath as long as you can. Brer Dragon, since removed, had a acetylene-based fire-breathing simulation that was never quite capped properly. Don’t try to sneak a smoke either as you may be the cause of a flash fire mentioned earlier.

With these precautions in mind, just relax and you’ll be fine!

PS – Actually, think of Splash Mountain ride as It’s a Small World with the addition of a few mild changes in elevation.
LMAO!!!
But honestly, in 2000 there really was a guy that got out of his boat, fell between the boats and did die from an injury. Certainly can't blame the ride, though.
Eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #73
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
LMAO!!!
But honestly, in 2000 there really was a guy that got out of his boat, fell between the boats and did die from an injury. Certainly can't blame the ride, though.
Exactly. Stay seated in the boat and you'll be fine.

larryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #74
Fantasmiss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilesoflaundry

Because some kids are thrill seekers and aren't always afraid. It's not that bad, really. It is a great ride and I would hate if they took that drop out and I'm sure plenty of other people would too. There are so many tame and slow family or kid friendly rides at disney already. They need something with a touch of a thrill for the families that want that. It's nice disney has something for everyone.

One of my kids used to cry at Bush Gardens because she could NOT ride the big rides, she wasn't tall enough. Some kids, even young kids love that stuff. Splash is fun for her but it's not fast enough I've got another one that cries if you even mention the thrill rides. Everyone is different and it would not be fun if disney had all the same type of rides and they had nothing fun and exciting.
I totally get that some people like thrill rides, but all other rides seem to be either thrill or not. And I'm fine with that. I guess it just bothers me that SM is a perfectly nice ride otherwise, just "ruined" by 3 seconds that means we won't go on it. Maybe it's because we're very tall, but we find the drop very uncomfortable. Such a shame as I LOVE water rides!
May 2008 - WDW - All Star Sports - 2 weeks
Jan 2009 - WDW - All Star Music + All Star Movies - 2 weeks - birthday trip
Feb/Mar 2010 - DLP - Santa Fe - 6 days
Jan 2011 - WDW - All Star Movies & Pop Century - 17 days - birthday trip
May 2011 - WDW - All Star Sports - 17 days - anniversary trip
Nov 2011 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 6 days
Oct/Nov 2012 - WDW - All Star Sports+Art of Animation - 3 weeks - 10th Disney Trip
Oct/Nov 2013 - WDW - All Star Sports - 25 days - birthday trip
MAR 2014 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 5 days- birthday trip

MAY 2014 - WDW - ALL STAR SPORTS - 17 DAYS - ANNIVERSARY TRIP!

Fantasmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #75
MASKED MANIAC
Mouseketeer

We go to MK a few times a week for the last 10 years since we moved here and I NEVER rode it....last week for the 1st time my boys talked me into it and I love it and at 260lbs I thought i would be to uncomfortable but I was good and cant stop riding.....
MASKED MANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: