Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #106
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Your AP review was great...I just ate there last night....and now I'm back to diet reality.

Jill in CO
Old 10-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #107
TheNewMrsB
DIS Veteran

Anniversary breakfast at 'Ohana

Aaaaand I'm back. No excuse, really. Just lazy...

Onward. When last we saw each other, I told you about our gluttonous trip to Artist Point, where we ate just about everything except the tablecloth.

The following day, 9/19, was our actual anniversary. And what better way to start it off than with Mickey waffles at 'Ohana? So we draaaagged ourselves out of bed and made the loooooong walk from Hawaii to the GCH. It took all of three minutes, I'm sure. Not nearly enough to start the calorie burn our breakfast would require.

After waiting for less than 10 minutes we were seated and immediately presented with...

...yummy, soft, sweet bread. Mmmm...Just look at the way it glistens. That's pure delicious right there.

Then it was time for perfectly ripe melon, pineapple and grapes.

Don't you wish you could just reach in and grab one?

But let's not kid ourselves. We didn't come here for fruit and bread, yummy though they may be. Bring on the cholesterol!

Ahhhh. That's more like it.

As usual I was very pleased with this. I don't normally like breakfast potatoes but the ones served at both 'Ohana and Kona are always delicious. The sausage was probably the most delicious I've ever had on property - I have no idea why that is, but it's true. The bacon was Disney bacon, of course. Biscuits were great, and the butter-shaped-like-eggs was delightfully artery clogging as always.

And of course...of course...these crispy babies were making their way around the room:

What is it about the Mickey waffle that inspires such devotion? I mean, whimsical shape aside. There's something special about them. They're a little sweeter than your run-of-the-mill waffle, I think. And they just melt in the mouth.

I won't tell tales out of school and reveal how many we ate between the two of us. Let's just say that many brave waffles met their demise at our table that morning.

When all was said and done and eaten, we were presented with yet another "Happy Anniversary" cupcake. Because we needed more sugar!

I'll always be thrilled to receive them, though, even as my stomach protests. And we'll always try to take at least a bite to be good sports.

While we're on the topic of cupcakes, let's talk for a minute about the icing, shall we?

The amount of shortening that must be in it...well, I don't wanna know. Some things are best left to the imagination or else we might not enjoy them as much. All I know for certain is that I'd eat just about anything if it were covered in that icing.

(I forgot to mention that we got cupcakes on Monday night after our dinner at 'Ohana, and had them packaged to be taken to the room. There they sat in the fridge until I had one for breakfast on Thursday morning. Yep. Still magical.)

I love both breakfast and dinner at 'Ohana, not only because the food is delicious but because the atmosphere is just so fun. It's all-you-can-eat but because it's served family style as opposed to a buffet, there's less traffic in the room. Granted it's still super busy between servers racing around with trays of waffles and cholesterol and the characters visiting the guests, but it's not as crazy as Chef Mickey's (in my opinion).

This was the perfect way to start off our anniversary morning. We headed to Epcot to burn off some calories before what was sure to be an epic dinner at California Grill. Did it live up to our hopes and expectations? Stay tuned...

October 1998 - First Visit
September 2008 - Honeymoon, Polynesian
September 2009, 2010, 2012 - Anniversary, Polynesian
December 2012 & 2014 - at the Polynesian
TheNewMrsB is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #108
guitarob
Polynesian Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewMrsB View Post
We headed to Epcot to burn off some calories before what was sure to be an epic dinner at California Grill. Did it live up to our hopes and expectations? Stay tuned...
Oh, I can. not. wait. to re-live that one

When we get to heaven, We'll hear "ALOHA!" 2010 Trip Report

1978, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1990 & 1993: Family trips to the Polynesian,
2001 - All Star Music, 2006 - Polynesian, 2008 - Honeymoon at the Polynesian, 2009 - Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2010 - Another Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2012 - Yet ANOTHER Anniversary at the Polynesian and a Christmas trip to the Polynesian!! 2014 - Christmas at the Polynesian!
guitarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #109
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Mmmm, that breakfast looks fantastic! Can't wait to hear all about California Grill...I have to get my review written on my report.

Jill in CO
Old 10-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #110
TheNewMrsB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarob View Post
Oh, I can. not. wait. to re-live that one
Can we please keep a little suspense here, Rob?

Old 10-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #111
TheNewMrsB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Mmmm, that breakfast looks fantastic! Can't wait to hear all about California Grill...I have to get my review written on my report.

Jill in CO
It was, as breakfasts go, quite fantastic.

Oh, California Grill. I need to sit here and slowly relive it...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: