Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
CandyMandy
DIS Veteran

Disney make take back ownership of Disneyland Paris

Looks like the suits in Anaheim may be fed up with the poor performance of the European operation - and may go into the war chest to rest control of the park from SCA:

http://business.time.com/2012/08/24/...neyland-paris/
CandyMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
monica213
Earning My Ears

The park is in need of Disney control. Was there back in June and it was so dirty and lacking organization. Very disappointing.
monica213 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
Michael623
WDW 40 trips, DL 10 trips, DLP 2 trips, Currently WDW AP holder

DLP has so much potential but it just doesn't deliver. They really need new management, top to bottom.
Michael623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

And from what I hear, the Studios Park needs a DCA style makeover.

That's what worries me though. If they spend the money to take full control of the park and then pump money into WDSP, does that mean less money for WDW?

I'm not sure how their budgets work.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Jonjo
Mouseketeer

I don't belive that TWDC will be allowed a 100% buyout of Euro Disney SCA as it is part of the master agreement between the TWDC and the French Goverment.

Not only does Euro Disney SCA run the resort, it's also responsible for Val d' Europe and the new joint venture Villages Nature with Pierre & Vacances Center Parcs.

The French Goverment would not be very happy to hand over DLP to an American company. It's one of the largest employers in France with 56,000 direct, indirect and induced jobs, including over 14,500 employed at the resort. France has a very fragile economy at the moment there would be a public outcry.

The resorts debt burden is high but is being whittled down, and why would TWDC take on a debt of €1.8billion? DLP has a very complex structure, which reflects the different financial phases and the impact of the 1994 and 2005 restructurings of EDL which must respect certain commitments towards its lenders, particularly concerning debt and investment restrictions, communication of figures and financial ratios.

The advantage of ownership for TWDC is reducing management over heads further and other expenses. TWDC currently owns 39.78% of EDL, to take control they would have to buy out the 10% that is owned by Saudi Prince al-Waleed bin Talal first. Once that happens, which will not be for a while as TWDC will wait for the share price to get back to normal.

If TWDC plans were to buy EDL, TIME has done them no favours by publishing the rumor which has had a major effect on the Euro Disney SCA share price over the last few days.

In my opinion I can't see TWDC wanting 100% of EDL just enough to make them the majority shareholder, while leaving the company still under French ownership, well on paper anyway and still registered on the Euronext to enable individuals and institutional investors to sill invest.

I guess we will all have to wait and see what TWDC plans are and if EDL, their creditors, the banks and more importantly if François Hollande will alow a take over to happen.
Jonjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:15 AM   #6
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

I would love nothing more then for TWDC to completely buy out DLP.

I've visited there twice (I live in the UK) and can easily get there on only an hour flight.

After our second trip, I have said we are not going again, it is nowhere near as magical as the US parks. Without getting into a cultural row here , and many other British people on these boards will tell you the same thing, the French and Spanish don't queue for anything.

So for example, they will just let Mickey, Minnie etc walk down the middle of Main St and it is mayhem. No queues and all these Europeans just pushing their children in front of everyone else's. No handlers like in WDW and you just end up with pictures of you and a character with 10 other kids in it having their picture at the same time.

We personally didn't have a problem with the cleanliness both times we have been there, it's the whole magic package that is lacking.

It's a shame really, because the details are beautiful! Most British people will say that it is more 'pretty' then the US parks, which I disagree with, I think they just want to believe its a good as holiday if they cannot afford to go the World every year.
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Tink1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
diddldonna
DIS Veteran

I agree with Tink I would rather save harder and go to Disneyworld Florida than go back to DisneyParis. I didnt really have a bad experience but there was no magical feel like in DW. They just couldnt organise anything at DLP, meeting a character ment you needed to fight to get to see them as everyone pushed in front of you, adults knocking into children. (This happened at every single greet, no proper line). Also the Show queues no much better and grumpy Cast members in shops and at the entrance. There was no fun factor like in the USA.

I am not the only one who have said this, several people who i know feel the same.

So personally i hope it gets brought out and it gets that american feel and magical factor.

Past WDW Vacations: 2013 OKW, 2010 OKW, 2007 ASM, 2005 ASM, 2004 off site.
diddldonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
Aulika
Mouseketeer

I live in Paris. DLP is great to get my Disney fix. It was enough before I visited the WDW but now not anymore. I visite DLP because of the good deals. I paid 10€ for my AP thanks to a dealawarded to employees of the companyI was working for. It was back in february. i should have waited this summer thos AP were FREE.
I don'tknow if itis possible to create the "Disney magic" in France. Labor is just so cheap in the USA. In France, it is really harder to justify hiring somebody, because of the cost involved.
DLRP AP Holder since 2011
Aulika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Disney loans Euro Disney park 1.3 Billion euros

http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...urodisney.html

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: