Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #46
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
I also don't see two sides to this at all. I think most would be understanding if a child gets sick. But to let a toddler in there and not make them take potty breaks, no, I don't see a logical side to that.
I agree that if a two year old "goes" in the pool, that's on the parent for putting them in there. I don't really think it's fair to blame the parent if an older kid who has been toilet trained for a long time has an accident. It is probably true that if you have several hundred children in the water over a week period, 'something' is probably going to happen even if every parent is on their best behavior.

As you say, it's very reasonable to expect a parent to take their two year old out of the pool frequently if they're in there at all. It's less reasonable to expect a parent to keep telling their four to Al Roker aged child to make sure not to have an accident in the pool!
Yokelridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #47
amandaroseziegler
First Family Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses1230

Saying that it is the parent's responsibility to make sure that their kid doesn't poop in the pool is hardly having a holier than thou attitude. IMO making excuses for kids pooping in the pool is doing the same thing.
I think blaming the parents is ridiculous, accidents happen, older kids pee in the pools all the time, imagine these parents finding out the truth. Don't get me wrong I would be mortified if my daughter pooped in the pools. But saying people saying under three should be banned is a bit extreme, I am keeping my daughter out if not trained bit to be judged if she has a accident is unfair and if someone says something to me or my child if god forbid it happened, shame on you
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #48
Fielhol
Mouseketeer

It makes sense to not have a chlorinated pool on a cruise ship. They would need holding tanks for the water they drain. They wouldn't be able to just dump the chlorinated water back to sea. It would be a huge cost to them. I never thought of that before. Wow, I'll be looking at the pools differently now my kids went in the Mickey pool and they said it was warm water and I jokingly said probably because of all the little kid pee. My kids do not pee in the pool. We have a pool at home and they know the rules. And I am constantly mopping a trail of water from my back door to the bathroom to prove it every time they run into the house
Old 02-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #49
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife2001 View Post
EWWW!! There is seriously no chlorine in the pool?? Do they use ANYTHING to kill bacteria in the water?

If not, it really is pee soup.

Hopefully all the other activities will keep my boys far away from there!!
All of the DCL pools are fresh water and chlorinated. I can't speak to other cruise lines.

Unfortunately, no amount of chlorine will make up for "entitlement parents" who feel that they paid a lot of money for this vacation and their kid gets to do whatever he/she wants regardless of signs or rules. I child who is truly toilet trained and supervised (with regular bathroom breaks) will have an occasional biological event--whether pee, poop, or puke. But these will be rare. On a typical cruise, the events are many times each day. That's not trained kids, it is rules violations much of the time.

Yes, we've seen far too many parents who strictly follow the "no swim diapers" rule by allowing their less than fully trained child to enjoy the pool without a diaper. And everyone suffers as a result.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #50
tictoc
Mouseketeer

I am the mom to 3 teens so i do not anticipate any accidents we have, however, laughed until the tears flowed reading this thread! When my daughter was five we did have to get out of the pool at the Contemporary because a baby pooped in the pool. His parents were gathering their things when the father said to the mother that they knew it would happen but wanted to swim until it did.

it upset me because my DD5 waited all day in anticipation of that pool time.

Tropical Storm Ernesto and I are Going to WDW for my Birthday! September 2006 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1209670

Me DH DS 18 DS 16 DD 11

tictoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #51
smallblackstars
Mouseketeer

I had never heard of anything like this until reading this thread! As far as I was aware splash zones are for babies/toddlers and pools are for potty trained children and everyone else, I am actually shocked that people would take a child who is not potty trained into a pool with the possibility of anything happening and pool time being ruined for those who are enjoying the pool!

I guess I am just one of those 'rules are there for a reason' people!

People can and will try to bend rules to their favour but I can bet you if older children were playing about in the splash zones then probably the same people who put children that aren't potty trained into pools would be the first to complain about older children being in the designated baby/toddler area.

I guess people will do as they please but I just can't get my head around it, firstly because it can ruin others enjoyment and secondly, who wants to clean up a child with poop all over them and stuck to the inside of their swimwear?? Ewwwwww!!!!

Me (31), DH (26), DD (4), Ninja (2)

smallblackstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #52
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

After reading this I'm glad I'm not a pool person.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Off-site 2015, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #53
BlakeandMaddysMomma
Mouseketeer

Go to the funnel puddle. It's shallow, but only about 4 kids max, and my kids loved it!! Plus there are TONS of lounger chairs there. Deck 12 forward.
BlakeandMaddysMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #54
amandaroseziegler
First Family Cruise

The only issue I have is all parents being lumped together, I will not have my daughter in the pool unless trained and it blows my mind that some parents don't care about the rules, but if she is trained she will be there and I'm sure because she will almost be 3 we will get looks because she's a toddler.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: