Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree...As a parent of 3 (2 fully grown now)...I surely have never known when my kid has needed to poop. Heck I don't know when I need to till the urge comes.

With all due respect.its still the parents responsiblity to make sure there kids do NOT go in the pool..if they are not sure.keep the kids out until they are.

We have seen this on other lines and resorts.....its called a lack of parenting skills!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #17
lorimay
DIS Veteran

This is what my conclusion is on the DCL pool rules.....

They won't allow swim diapers in the pool (swim diapers will hold the poopy in, they won't hold the pee pee however).

So the kids cry to go swimming cause heck its vacation and its Mickey's pool.
SO the parents solution just take off the swim diaper and let them swim.

I'm not saying thats right because rules are rules.
But if the kids go in with the swim diaper on disaster averted.

We couldn't even go to that deck with our Grandson during our cruise because he wanted that pool so badly and he wasn't fully trained yet.
It really seemed so unfair to me that he couldn't swim, but we followed the rules.
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #18
oneor11
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
With all due respect.its still the parents responsiblity to make sure there kids do NOT go in the pool..if they are not sure.keep the kids out until they are.

We have seen this on other lines and resorts.....its called a lack of parenting skills!

AKK
Here are my fears about our first ever cruise coming true before we even leave. We're probably going to be surrounded by holier-than-thou "super parents" who think they know everything, like the person above. If they're on the boards, they'll most certainly be on the ship. Bummer.
oneor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #19
ddixon1
Mouseketeer

Children whom are not potty trained are not supposed to be in the pools, just the splash zones. They can be kids, but parents need to be parents. The parents need to respect the pool rules, so that the kids can learn the same. Not sure why is this such a difficult concept to grasp? The OP and others are commenting on children whom are obviously not potty trained/in swim diapers (e.g., I witnessed an approximately 18 month old with a binky in his mouth, but sans any clothing) in the Mickey pool. Parents right there. Aw, isn't he cute? I told my 7 y/o to get OUT of the Mickey pool. "Why, Mommy?" "Because you don't want to swallow pee or poop from the babies that are not supposed to be in this pool" (pointing to naked baby).
REALLY??????
Disney Half Marathon (POR), January 2000; Explorer of the Seas, July 2009; Oasis of the Seas, May 2011; Magic 2-night getaway from NYC, July 2012; Magic 5-night Canadian from NYC, August 2012; Animal Kingdom Lodge, January 2013; Dream 4-night to Bahamas, January 2013; Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo Studio), August 2013, December 2013
ddixon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
lorenni
DIS Veteran

If we're going to shrug and say it's no big deal to poop in the pool then why not just let the little kids in - as a prior poster said, at least my son's poop would stay in his swim diaper.

In my mind if your child is not yet potty trained then he or she is not old enough to be in the pool without you. And while I can see (and expect) pee accidents, poop is a little harder to do by mistake. I have not yet been on DCL with my son, but at my last trip to DW most of the kids were in the big pool or the splash pool by themselves. I would imagine its difficult to stop a poop in action from the comfort of a poolside chair...

We'll be happy and poop free in the splash pad.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #21
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay View Post

They won't allow swim diapers in the pool (swim diapers will hold the poopy in, they won't hold the pee pee however).

We couldn't even go to that deck with our Grandson during our cruise because he wanted that pool so badly and he wasn't fully trained yet.
It really seemed so unfair to me that he couldn't swim, but we followed the rules.
First, thanks for taking precautions with your child. I know it stinks that he couldn't swim but it would be awful to ruin it for all the other passengers. I wish more people would follow your example.

So I have a question since I haven't been on the cruise yet. Don't they have an area for children that are not fully potty trained? I know only the Fantasy has the splash pad, but doesn't the Mickey pool have a splash pool or something?

I do understand the frustration that parents can feel. I have 3 kids, my youngest is 6, and it took forever...FOREVER...for him to be potty trained due to some GI issues. I know if we had cruised back then I would have been frustrated. But I'd be mortified if my child had an accident causing the pool to shut down and I knew he was't fully potty trained.

As it is, I doubt we'll use the pool anyway. It just sounds too risky and gross.

ETA:
Quote:
Here are my fears about our first ever cruise coming true before we even leave. We're probably going to be surrounded by holier-than-thou "super parents" who think they know everything, like the person above. If they're on the boards, they'll most certainly be on the ship. Bummer.
And my fear is the self-entitled parents who don't care if their kids have an accident because, hey, they paid for their vacation so can do whatever they want...despite it ruining things for everyone else. And they'll most certainly be on the ship. Hence, while we'll just stay out of the pool.

And I don't think anyone is talking about children who get sick. We all know things happen. But if the pool is getting shut down daily, I'd say Disney needs to work on their policies.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #22
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddixon1 View Post
Children whom are not potty trained are not supposed to be in the pools, just the splash zones. They can be kids, but parents need to be parents. The parents need to respect the pool rules, so that the kids can learn the same. Not sure why is this such a difficult concept to grasp? The OP and others are commenting on children whom are obviously not potty trained/in swim diapers (e.g., I witnessed an approximately 18 month old with a binky in his mouth, but sans any clothing) in the Mickey pool. Parents right there. Aw, isn't he cute? I told my 7 y/o to get OUT of the Mickey pool. "Why, Mommy?" "Because you don't want to swallow pee or poop from the babies that are not supposed to be in this pool" (pointing to naked baby).
REALLY??????
EWWWWWWW.......completely naked?!?!?!?!?!
Thats just gross. What were they thinking?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #23
ImDMous
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay View Post

The problem with swim diapers is that they are poo teabags. Water goes in - pooey water comes out. They do absolutely nothing to stop any bacteria or other nasties from getting in the water. This is why they are banned by the CDC in cruise ship pools, it is not just a Disney rule. They aren't allowed in any pool on a ship for disease control.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swim...wim-pants.html

DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #24
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
First, thanks for taking precautions with your child. I know it stinks that he couldn't swim but it would be awful to ruin it for all the other passengers. I wish more people would follow your example.

So I have a question since I haven't been on the cruise yet. Don't they have an area for children that are not fully potty trained? I know only the Fantasy has the splash pad, but doesn't the Mickey pool have a splash pool or something?

I do understand the frustration that parents can feel. I have 3 kids, my youngest is 6, and it took forever...FOREVER...for him to be potty trained due to some GI issues. I know if we had cruised back then I would have been frustrated. But I'd be mortified if my child had an accident causing the pool to shut down and I knew he was't fully potty trained.

As it is, I doubt we'll use the pool anyway. It just sounds too risky and gross.
Yes, there is a toddler splash pad. Its very small and RIGHT next to the mickey pool so he played there but then saw the pool and of course he wanted to go in.

I'm not sure but I hope the newer ships have improved the splash pads on them.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #25
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDMous View Post
The problem with swim diapers is that they are poo teabags. Water goes in - pooey water comes out. They do absolutely nothing to stop any bacteria or other nasties from getting in the water. This is why they are banned by the CDC in cruise ship pools, it is not just a Disney rule. They aren't allowed in any pool on a ship for disease control.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swim...wim-pants.html
Thanks for the info.

He's now fully trained YAY! so next cruise he can swim all he wants.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #26
princess aleya
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
Probably not going to happen because it'd be too hard to prove the poop!!!! Hahhaahaha, , but you're right! more the parents fault than Disney's. People disregarding the rules...
LOL!!

princess aleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #27
mamasha
Mouseketeer

Isn't there a staff person to remind parents w/ children that they aren't trained(naked babies) not to use the pool?
Old 09-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #28
August2012Magic
Earning My Ears

There is NO staff person monitoring the pool!! It would be cheaper to hire a monitor than to deal with the mess every day.
August2012Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #29
JLitfin
love Disney

My son is a lifeguard at a hotel pool near our home, he had to close the pool last week because a 10 year old pooped in the pool. This kid was 10 and not a young child. A kid 10 years old should know better. I'm sure this also happens at the Disney/DCL pools, older kids are too lazy and having too much fun to get out of the pool to use the bathroom.

I'm glad my kids are all adults now and we use the adult pool, hopefully there's no problems with this pool.

JLitfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #30
WinstonC
Mouseketeer

Lots of strong opinions here, but remember that if this is an issue that's important to you, write to DCL about it! Posting here may be a good way to vent (and for me, a good way to get in trouble ), but DCL's rules, policy, and enforcement are more likely to change if you speak your mind directly!
WinstonC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: