Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #16
Daisy14'sDH
DIS Veteran

GP! I love your heart and brand loyalty! Have you had any lens or body failures in the last few years or am I one of the unlucky few?

Click here to see more from TkO Digital Imaging on Facebook

"Lightbulbs die my dear, I will depart!" As said by Mr. Magorium
Daisy14'sDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #17
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy14'sDH View Post
GP! I love your heart and brand loyalty! Have you had any lens or body failures in the last few years or am I one of the unlucky few?
With my three Pentax DSLR's I have had two repairs on the cameras, one repair on a battery grip and one Sigma lens repaired. On a K10D I had the rear wheel repaired. It was working, just stiff when turning. On the K5 they had to repair the stabilization system because one of the magnets went bad causing the horizon to be off. When that was repaired they replaced the whole system including the sensor (all under warranty). The K10 battery grip wasn't recognizing the second battery so that was repaired. On my Sigma 70-200 the autofocus system went bad. The longest my equipment was out of service was 4 weeks for the K5. The Sigma service was phenomenal. I sent it in and it was back within 8 days, but failed again immediately. I called them and they paid to have it shipped back and had it back to me within 4 days. Which was just in time for a major motorsport shoot! With all the shooting I do and the abuse my equipment sometimes takes, I have absolutely no complaints. I am fortunate to have a service center 20 minutes from my house.

Another thing from my rant that I didn't point out was that Pentax introduced the very first Japanese SLR film camera. There is another brand out there that I would not call an offbrand and that is Leica. They produce some very expensive and excellent cameras. There is no way I would denigrate them.

Last edited by Gianna'sPapa; 09-09-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #18
Daisy14'sDH
DIS Veteran

I'm not thrilled with todays announcements

Old 09-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #19
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm not thrilled with todays announcements
What Pentax did today is matched what other manufacturers have done. They have taken their current flagship camera, the K5, and extended its lifespan with improvements very much like Canon has traditionally done with the 5d MarkII/Mark III. The fact that they made improvements and kept the same body, battery, grip, etc, will make it easier (financially) to purchase an upgrade. I use my K10's as my second and backup cameras to my primary K5. With this move I can upgrade one of those so I have two cameras with identical menus, batteries, grips and I don't have to learn a new camera. Everything will be interchangeable. Now, if anyone was expecting FF or the rumored K3 with the 24mp sensor, then I could see where this announcement could be a disappointment. I am not sold on the 24mp sensor because I have "heard" that it is noisier than the 16mp sensor on the K5. Eventually, I think the rumored K3 will be introduced, but I don't know if that will be at Photokina. With what they announced today, Pentax has 5 cameras with the K mount: Q with adaptor, K01, K30, K5 II, K5 IIs. There were two other parts to the announcement that interested me, the new coatings for the lenses and the new (re-badged Tamron ?) 18-270mm all-in-one. Because of the type of photography I do, all-in-ones have not generally interested me, but that Tamron lens has always been one that I have thought about. Pentax stated it has a SDM motor,which if it is truly a rebadged Tamron, could be the Piezo Drive version. There has been some concern over the SDM lenses in the Pentax camp over the last several years and this could help to alleviate that.

Generally speaking, I am very happy that they extended the life of the K5 because I truly believe that it has been one of the best APS-C cameras on the market. What is your concern over the announcement?

Last edited by Gianna'sPapa; 09-11-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #20
Daisy14'sDH
DIS Veteran

not a concern, more just "meh", the K5 is still the K5, I love mine but focusing issues havent been addressed, flash sync speed is the same, its not really an upgrade at all. The lenses are meh as well. The 560mm is not of interest to me, I have the 18-250 and I havent used it in nearly 2 years, no need for a 645 lens, dont have a q or interest in it,the lens coatings sound great... but then I'd have to buy new ones? Its not like it can be just slapped on my DA*'s or future Limiteds

Old 09-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #21
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
not a concern, more just "meh", the K5 is still the K5, I love mine but focusing issues havent been addressed, flash sync speed is the same, its not really an upgrade at all. The lenses are meh as well. The 560mm is not of interest to me, I have the 18-250 and I havent used it in nearly 2 years, no need for a 645 lens, dont have a q or interest in it,the lens coatings sound great... but then I'd have to buy new ones? Its not like it can be just slapped on my DA*'s or future Limiteds
The focusing issue is addressed with the update. Unfortunately, it is a hardware update and not software one so it can't be retro'd to the current K5. The continuous focus on the current K5 was something that was a very noticeable upgrade from my K10's. I haven't experienced a major focus issue. Yes, with lowlight and non-contrasting background it sometimes struggles. I just try to find something contrasting along the same plane and use that. The synch speed is the same as always with Pentax, 180. The flash system is something that Nikon really excels at. I wish they would improve that. I guess I'm a little selfish in that I love the idea that they have used the same body, batteries, grips etc, for three cameras (K7, K5, K5 II(s). Do I wish they had an equivalent 70-200 f2.8 with WR and the new coatings, HECK YES! I'm not sure I would want to pay the price, if you know what I mean! What I am impressed with is the direction Ricoh seems to be taking the company. In less than a year they have moved the company from being stagnant to one that is introducing new products on a fairly regular basis. Whether you like those products, is another issue. Although I liked the size, I wasn't impressed with the Q. Now that they have an adaptor for my K mount lenses, that is something I may consider for the future. I like the idea of a P n S size camera with options. Do I think they will introduce a new "flagship" camera? Yes, and it may be the K3, although I would struggle with the idea of a 24mp camera that has more noise. I would like to see the 24 in a K5 body and at least the same or better ISO/noise ratings with improved video, articulating screen and an improved flash system. Again, that would be great, but I don't know if I could afford it!! As far as FF, I really have little interest, besided if I need FF, I will just pull out my Lx and shoot a roll of film!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #22
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

I just realized a giant downside to this announcement! Since this is more of a refinement/update to an existing camera, many may not feel the need to upgrade. This means there will be less used K5's on the market. I was hoping, maybe I could find a used low shutter count K5 from someone who had the need to have the newest, latest and greatest! This will make that more difficult!!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #23
Daisy14'sDH
DIS Veteran

Lol, after reading a little deeper into the K5 IIS I will hold onto the system and see how the focusing is... I mainly shoot landscape anyway, plus with Samyangs new Tiltshift for Kmount Im getting excited again to try something new!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: