Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Lobster Roll at Columbia Harbor House

DH has noticed that the Columbia Harbor House now offers a lobster roll. Before he gets too excited about having one next July he wanted to know if the lobster roll tastes as good as he looks?

Thanks
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Sadly, no, I didn't think it tasted all that great. It was mostly filler, and the mayo sauce was pretty strong in flavor. I'm glad I tried it once, but it's not my list of things to have again.

figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
DEA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post
Sadly, no, I didn't think it tasted all that great. It was mostly filler, and the mayo sauce was pretty strong in flavor. I'm glad I tried it once, but it's not my list of things to have again.
Agreed. Too much goop.

DIS Dads Member #432
DEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
DisneyHardin
DIS Veteran

My mom tried it last fall because it looked so fantastic, but she did not like it - it was too much mayo and not enough seafood.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran

It's more like lobster salad and not so much a real lobster roll. If you think of it like that, you'll enjoy it more Not a bad meal, they just shouldn't call it a lobster roll.
DizneyLizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
jenjie
DIS Veteran

??? Lobster salad is what I think of when I hear lobster roll, and that's what the picture looks like.

That being said, I don't think I'd buy one at a theme park. Unless it was in Maine.

Disclaimer: I'm allergic now so I couldn't get it even if I wanted it. I loved a well made lobster roll.
October 1996 ~ March 2003 ~ August 2012
jenjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjie View Post
??? Lobster salad is what I think of when I hear lobster roll, and that's what the picture looks like.
Here in New England a lobster roll has large pieces of meat that has been either mixed with just a touch of mayo or drizzled with melted butter. Lobster salad is small pieces of meat mixed with a lot of mayo. The CHH lobster roll is the latter.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
jenjie
DIS Veteran

Oh you remind me I saw one of those competition cooking shows, where one team made lobster rolls with butter, and the other made them with mayo. I only ever had them with mayo so the butter was foreign to me. But lobster with drawn butter... Mmmm Mmmm

We used to vacation in Maine every summer when I was growing up. We would stay at the same cottage every year and my parents became friendly with the landlords. One time as we were heading home, they gave us cold lobster rolls for the road. They lasted about 5 minutes. LOL
October 1996 ~ March 2003 ~ August 2012
jenjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
nharding20
Mouseketeer

While we LOVE getting our lobster rolls in New England, I can't imagine ever eating one in a theme park. Something tells me it might not agree with my stomach!
nharding20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjie View Post
Oh you remind me I saw one of those competition cooking shows, where one team made lobster rolls with butter, and the other made them with mayo. I only ever had them with mayo so the butter was foreign to me. But lobster with drawn butter... Mmmm Mmmm

We used to vacation in Maine every summer when I was growing up. We would stay at the same cottage every year and my parents became friendly with the landlords. One time as we were heading home, they gave us cold lobster rolls for the road. They lasted about 5 minutes. LOL
The warm lobster roll with butter is commonly referred to as a Connecticut lobster roll. While other areas of New England sell them, they are most prevalent in the Nutmeg State.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

So is the roll filled with real lobster and mayo? Or is it lobster flavored/formed fish? And is that a hot dog bun? Or a different type of bread?

Questions from my daughter, as we will be there in 11 days!!!
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #12
Bellamouse
DIS Veteran

This has been discussed (argued over!) many times here.

My personal opinion (and of course, that's all it is), is that it should definitely be called lobster salad and not a lobster roll.

That said, we had two of them last year and will be going back for another one this year. I really liked it. But then I like mayo and seafood salad in general. We thought it was really good.

We come from a BIG city with lots of ethnic food and have traveled around the world as well. So it's not like we don't know what food is. But we just like it. We're not food snobs and we like a huge range of things, from jello salads at the podunk family reunion all the way to currywurst or herring sandwich from the street vendor in Berlin.

As someone else said, if you like mayonnaise-y salads, you will like this.
Bellamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #13
Bellamouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortStuff View Post
So is the roll filled with real lobster and mayo? Or is it lobster flavored/formed fish? And is that a hot dog bun? Or a different type of bread?

Questions from my daughter, as we will be there in 11 days!!!
I think it's basically a hot dog bun. Not sure if it's real lobster or the lobster flavored fish. It's probably the lobster flavored fish, at that price point. But we still liked it.

Here is a picture of it, from the Disney Food Blog:

http://i1.disneyfoodblog.com/wp-cont...bster-roll.jpg
Bellamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
jlh512
Johnny

I get at least one or two every year! I think it is great!
'85-Offsite / '90-Contemporary / '92, '95, '99 -Offsite / '02-WDW Dolphin / '03-Rental House / '04-POP Century / '05-All Star Movies / '06-Beach Club & DCL / '07-POP Century & Boardwalk / '09-Port Orleans French Quarter / '10-Yacht Club / '11-Paradise Pier (Disneyland) & Boardwalk / '12 Pop & Beach Club / '13 Disneyland Offsite & Yacht Club / '14 Yacht Club

jlh512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #15
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
I think it's basically a hot dog bun. Not sure if it's real lobster or the lobster flavored fish. It's probably the lobster flavored fish, at that price point. But we still liked it.

Here is a picture of it, from the Disney Food Blog:

http://i1.disneyfoodblog.com/wp-cont...bster-roll.jpg
Thank you!! I told her that the price screamed 'lobster fish', but she was hoping I was wrong!!
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: