Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #76
DisneyJamieCA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
my "issue", which I failed to declare properly, isn't with those who share, and even share the refill. But with those who carry the cup for the rest of the day, and refill it when they pass Rancho or Pizza Port or Plaza Inn. Many will state "Hey I paid $5 for my soda (no you didn't, it was $3) and it only costs 25¢, so I am going to get my money's worth." I have seen them send their kids in to get the refills as they are less likely to get asked for the receipt. And they tell the kids to just say dad has it if asked...
Well I can agree with you that this is wrong and stealing. The refill is only "allowed" when you are eating your meal there. So in this scenario, the rules are being broken completely. They would be broken if the original soda drinker tried to refill his/her cup.

And this is why I said, I think so many of us were actually talking about different scenarios. Maybe I missed something, but I don't think the OP said anything about leaving Rancho and trying to come back later.

Upcoming: Nov 19-25 (GCH)

DL Onsite - Aug. '06 (GCH), Dec. '06 (GCH), Dec. '07 (GCH), Feb. '12 (DLH) Nov. '12 (GCH), Nov. '13 (DLH), June '14 (PPH), Oct. '14 (DLH)

DL Offsite - Sept. '07, Aug. '08, Aug. '09, Nov. '10, July '11, June '12, Oct. '12
DisneyJamieCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #77
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJamieCA View Post
Maybe I missed something, but I don't think the OP said anything about leaving Rancho and trying to come back later.
Nope, it was my brain jumping around. When I saw someone post the cost of 25¢ just reminded me of a scenario I saw yesterday at Pizza Port.
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #78
chrissiecutie
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

Oh gosh....am I the only one shaking my head over this??

I just don't understand how a helpful "they have free refills" thread has turned into a discussion on stealing, water cups, cost & business strategies & ethics.

Seems to me that if you purchase a soda you're entitled to use the soda however you see fit. Share it with all the kids, poor it on the ground for the ants, suck it up with a straw or divide it between 2 extra cups....you bought it, it's yours.

And maybe this is just semantics but doesn't it say "free refills"? Not "only 1 refill" or "1 refill at time of service in original cup drunk by original soda consumer, not to be divided or shared with others". Lol - sorry but I just HAD to go there.

Listen- most of us know right from wrong. Yes, it's wrong to carry around your cup & hop in for a refill whenever your on a nearby ride. That's like saving your mcDonalds cup to use for a refill everytime your thirsty & near McDonalds. Wrong. Just wrong.

So let's just do what we know is right & when in doubt- ask. Worry about your own self & your own moral compass & maybe, just maybe Karma won't be knocking down your door.

Son's 1st Disneyland Trip 8/14-8/23/2008
DH Got a Job Celebratory Trip 5/29-6/2/2010
Surprise Birthday Trip for DS 2/26-3/5/2011
Halloween Trip 10/1/2012-10/4/2012

25+ Year Disneyland Vet
1st trip in 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2011
chrissiecutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #79
alvernon90
Unable to think of a clever tag.......but doesn't have to, the Tag Fairy will just colorize him! :)

This is an interesting debate. It seems funny to me that refilling my cup and giving it to my child would be stealing, but refilling my cup, taking one sip, and dumping the rest down the drain would not be stealing.

I also think it is funny that the managers could estimate a percentage of patrons who will want another 20 oz. of soda after drinking the first 20 oz. and carefully price that into the per-cup charge, but they cannot foresee the percentage of customers who will share 40 oz. among two or more people, and thus such sharing is not accounted for in the slender profit margins.

My guess would be that the spreadsheet jockeys know they could do things differently to prevent the stealing known as sharing. One option would be to move the machines to a CM area, as discussed above, but obviously they think it is more profitable to leave the machines where the sharing thieves can wantonly plunder them for a double ration of corn syrupy goodness. Another option would be to create a refill policy less amenable to jesuitical analysis, so people know exactly what is and is not allowed.

Bottom line: rules spoil the Magic, and Magic delivers on the bottom line. As long as 98% of patrons are polite, honest, and orderly Disney will look the other way for the occasional soda sharers, or line jumpers, or double bookers, or whatever. No point in alienating a [mostly] paying customer.
alvernon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #80
cyclenut
DIS Veteran

The free refill thing inside the parks is a but of a mixed bag. I have routinely gone back for a refill at Pizza Port and I have been told that refills are not included once. I think that person was mistaken, but you may notice that in all cases the soda machine is inside the cashier controlled area. My advice on free refills is that if this is important to you, ask before you enter the restaurant. I have had good luck with Rancho. It seems they regularly allow it.

As for the debate on "stealing", The soda you purchase is intended for a person. The refill is allowed as a convenience for those few who would like a little more. I seriously doubt Disney assumes everyone will get a refill. There is no way you are actually purchasing 40oz of soda in a 20oz cup. Is it stealing to split one soda? Only if you actually go back and get the refill and even then, it depends. Does Disney really care? I think not. In this particular case I believe the refill is a matter of guest convenience and Disney policy is allowing the refill without a restriction on who consumes it. It is only stealing if the company states a policy and posts a sign. There are interesting moral questions here but the heart of the matter is intent between buyer and seller. Is there an intent to deceive in order to obtain something extra, or is it being a savy consumer and getting the most for your money? Maybe it is neither and it is just about Disney allowing some leeway here to help make the guest experience just a little better ... I'm going with that one.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstacy to Ensenada - Summer 2004
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas NB Pacific Coast - April 2007
Disney Wonder to Alaska - August 2011
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean - June 2012
Disney Wonder SB Pacific Coast - September 2012
cyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #81
Mary09
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiecutie View Post
Oh gosh....am I the only one shaking my head over this??

I just don't understand how a helpful "they have free refills" thread has turned into a discussion on stealing, water cups, cost & business strategies & ethics.

Seems to me that if you purchase a soda you're entitled to use the soda however you see fit. Share it with all the kids, poor it on the ground for the ants, suck it up with a straw or divide it between 2 extra cups....you bought it, it's yours.

And maybe this is just semantics but doesn't it say "free refills"? Not "only 1 refill" or "1 refill at time of service in original cup drunk by original soda consumer, not to be divided or shared with others". Lol - sorry but I just HAD to go there.

Listen- most of us know right from wrong. Yes, it's wrong to carry around your cup & hop in for a refill whenever your on a nearby ride. That's like saving your mcDonalds cup to use for a refill everytime your thirsty & near McDonalds. Wrong. Just wrong.

So let's just do what we know is right & when in doubt- ask. Worry about your own self & your own moral compass & maybe, just maybe Karma won't be knocking down your door.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the moral discussion here. It's a discussion board. No one's convicting others. If the discussion bothers you, read elsewhere. You threw in your two cents before decrying it a stupid discussion.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #82
chrissiecutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary09

I don't think there's anything wrong with the moral discussion here. It's a discussion board. No one's convicting others. If the discussion bothers you, read elsewhere. You threw in your two cents before decrying it a stupid discussion.
Never said it was stupid. And I never said I saw anything wrong with the discussion.

In fact- I think it's been quite the friendly debate, which I personally think is fabulous that folks here can be so respectful of others. Respectful being the key word here...

I'm just saying that I think it's silly to even start a moral debate about soda. It's soda for goodness sake. And I seriously doubt this is what the OP intended when starting the thread. But I could always be wrong....

25+ Year Disneyland Vet
1st trip in 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2011
Old 09-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #83
sasywtch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
People love to through the "quarter" around, but in that 25¢, are you including labor? Taxes? Workman's Comp? The repair costs when the machines break down? The cost of the electricity to cool/create ice/power the machines?

As the owner of a business, I know people say "It only costs X for this product", thinking of the cost of the initial product (in this case, the cup and syrup) but never think of all the incidentals included to bring that cup of soda to the customer.
25 cents is probably about right or maybe on the high side including all of the above. I use to be a Coca Cola Manager wife and had to hear the biz all the time. (it can get quite boring).

He was not a manager in S CA but I can venture to guess that DL gets and EXCELLENT price on the product and cups (if they have coke on them). I'm willing to bet $ that Disneyland and McD's probably get the best price of anyone anywhere on the syrup and Co2. Soda (machine pour type, not can) is usually a business' best profit maker.

I am a guilty person of poor moral behavior. Since I do not drink that much soda, I usually share with who bought one and then they refill when leaving. I am honest and admitting, I do this quite often at McD's. I never thought about it before, only that I don't drink that much so thought it was a waste. Ooops.
sasywtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #84
audrey2580
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiecutie View Post
Never said it was stupid. And I never said I saw anything wrong with the discussion.

In fact- I think it's been quite the friendly debate, which I personally think is fabulous that folks here can be so respectful of others. Respectful being the key word here...

I'm just saying that I think it's silly to even start a moral debate about soda. It's soda for goodness sake. And I seriously doubt this is what the OP intended when starting the thread. But I could always be wrong....
Yes my intention was just to share that rancho has refills. The funny thing is that I brought the cup back into rancho from sitting outside eating and asked how much for a refill. I would have been more than happy to pay for it. I never carried the cup around all day, nor did I refill a water cup directly from the soda machine like others have said I did. (thank you to those who corrected them).

I appreciate a good debate but dont like that I have been told that I stole and taught my kids to steal. Luckily I know better than to care what others think. I hope that others can benefit from learning that pizza port, rancho, plaza inn, and white water snacks have free refills.
audrey2580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #85
chrissiecutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrey2580

Yes my intention was just to share that rancho has refills. The funny thing is that I brought the cup back into rancho from sitting outside eating and asked how much for a refill. I would have been more than happy to pay for it. I never carried the cup around all day, nor did I refill a water cup directly from the soda machine like others have said I did. (thank you to those who corrected them).

I appreciate a good debate but dont like that I have been told that I stole and taught my kids to steal. Luckily I know better than to care what others think. I hope that others can benefit from learning that pizza port, rancho, plaza inn, and white water snacks have free refills.
Thanks OP!

I had assumed you were just trying to be helpful. That's the feeling that I gathered initially & seems like it just got blown in a totally different direction then you had intended. But I guess that's what happens sometimes. Just to bad that others would think so negatively. And that's really what I was saying was "silly". Folks getting so worked up for nothing, because you certainly never said you stole anything or were teaching your kids to.

Perhaps others misinterpreted my comments to- oh well...I only meant that we all pretty much know right vs wrong. Some things are pretty clear cut, like carrying around your cup all day to score refills. While some are more grey areas. And debating the grey areas (ie morality&ethics) is kinda pointless on a public forum. It's just going to be a roundabout discussion with no real solution, KWIM??

25+ Year Disneyland Vet
Old 09-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #86
Crazy4Disney06
DIS Veteran

Wow the OP asked a question and it turns in to a moral debate. If the worst she ever does is let her kids share a refillable soda then she has it made
9-96 ~ WDW - Wilderness Lodge / 6-98 ~ DL (graduation gift) - FairField Inn/ 3-00 ~ DL (DisneyMoon) - Stovalls Inn / 5-03 ~ DL - Super 8/ 7-04 ~ DL - Hyatt Regency Orange County/ 8-21 - 8-27-07 ~ WDW - POP / 10/11 - 10/19/08 ~ WDW - CBR & Disney Wonder / DL ~ 10/5 - 10/9/09 Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel / 12/15 - 12/20/2011 ~ Our first Holiday Season with Mickey @ ASMu / Villas At Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~ D 12/16 - 12/21/12 /Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 1/16 - 1/20/14 /Aulani Hawaiian Resort 8/24 - 8/30/14 / Next Up: / Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 5/7 - 5/11/15/WDW Wine and Dine Half Marathon Trip 11/2-11/8/15

DVC Owners Since 3/2012
Crazy4Disney06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #87
aluckyduck
Earning My Ears

Just went to the Plaza for chicken dinner and we asked the CM if there were refills. He said as many as you want, and before you leave ask for a to-go cup and fill that up. That was cool!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: