Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #46
TheZue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoCory

What about this. You are at Storytellers or any other restaurant where they have menu and buffet service, and you order a waffle and your spouse orders the buffet. Your spouse brings back bacon. If you eat the bacon, is that stealing?
The difference is how they charge. Buffets charge per person, drink refills charge per cup.

World didn't end, I'm going back!

Past Disneyland visits: 1983, 1995, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2012
How the heck do I not have a tag yet???
TheZue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #47
starshine514
DIS Veteran

Unless there is a bacon exception (like at Jason's Deli, the salad bar is only for those who ordered the salad bar, unless you want a pickle or a muffin - those are free for all customers), then you shouldn't eat bacon from the buffet unless you purchased the buffet.
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort
starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #48
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoCory View Post
What about this. You are at Storytellers or any other restaurant where they have menu and buffet service, and you order a waffle and your spouse orders the buffet. Your spouse brings back bacon. If you eat the bacon, is that stealing?
Did your spuse bring back the bacon for you? Yes this is "stealing."

Now if he filled his plate fully intending to eat the bacon himself but once he finished other things he was too full and would have left the bacon, but instead you eat it. To me this is okay because it would have been thrown away.

When we go to a buffet we are all paying, and many times we will share a a portion of things we want to try. Of course this is not the same but if we were not allowed to share we would be wasting A LOT of food.
disneychrista is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #49
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
How on earth can you consider it stealing? You are paying $3 for soda that cost Disney less than a $0.25.
People love to through the "quarter" around, but in that 25¢, are you including labor? Taxes? Workman's Comp? The repair costs when the machines break down? The cost of the electricity to cool/create ice/power the machines?

As the owner of a business, I know people say "It only costs X for this product", thinking of the cost of the initial product (in this case, the cup and syrup) but never think of all the incidentals included to bring that cup of soda to the customer.
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #50
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
I have in my notes that French Market and Plaza Inn also have free soda refills.
French Market no longer offers refills.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #51
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZue View Post
The difference is how they charge. Buffets charge per person, drink refills charge per cup.
Does this change if the refills are unlimited, like they used to be a few years ago?

The issue is, if this becomes enough of an issue, Disney will simply do what they have already done in several locations... Move the machines where the cast members make the drinks and remove the refill option.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #52
TheZue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcon10t
Does this change if the refills are unlimited, like they used to be a few years ago?

The issue is, if this becomes enough of an issue, Disney will simply do what they have already done in several locations... Move the machines where the cast members make the drinks and remove the refill option.
And that is their choice as a business. The rules are free refills on that cup, if they find it would be cheaper to have somebody behind the counter being paid to fill those cups they'll do that; but don't blame the customers who aren't breaking any rules. Just for clarity, my family doesn't share drinks...none of us can agree on what to get lol

Old 09-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #53
TheZue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
People love to through the "quarter" around, but in that 25¢, are you including labor? Taxes? Workman's Comp? The repair costs when the machines break down? The cost of the electricity to cool/create ice/power the machines?

As the owner of a business, I know people say "It only costs X for this product", thinking of the cost of the initial product (in this case, the cup and syrup) but never think of all the incidentals included to bring that cup of soda to the customer.
Not only that it doesn't matter what the value of an item is in determining if something is theft. I don't think this is, but the price of the item isn't why.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #54
Zbugz
Thinking about In n Out Burgers and Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychrista View Post
Now if he filled his plate fully intending to eat the bacon himself but once he finished other things he was too full and would have left the bacon, but instead you eat it. To me this is okay because it would have been thrown away.
This!

Also, I think the drink refill/sharing issue comes down to whether there is a finite amount of soda purchased or not. If no refill is included in the original purchase price, then it is priced for a certain volume, regardless of who drinks it. Same thing if there is one refill included. The price is based on a certain volume. If there are an unlimited amount of refills, then it is priced for one person, and it would be stealing to share any refills.

I personally think it is a miracle that there are any restaurants in DLR that offer refills and want to thank the OP for pointing out the anomaly.
Zbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #55
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZue View Post
Not only that it doesn't matter what the value of an item is in determining if something is theft. I don't think this is, but the price of the item isn't why.
I agree, but there are those who rationalize their theft by saying "It only costs them 25¢, and they charge $3, so that is $2.75 profit to this HUGE company, so big deal if I carry my cup all day and refill it over and over when no one is watching..." And they teach their child it is ok to lie, steal, and cheat.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #56
tiffjoy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree, but there are those who rationalize their theft by saying "It only costs them 25¢, and they charge $3, so that is $2.75 profit to this HUGE company, so big deal if I carry my cup all day and refill it over and over when no one is watching..." And they teach their child it is ok to lie, steal, and cheat.
No one said this though. No one is advocating teaching this to their child, at least in this post. Although I do agree that the cost has nothing to do with it.

The OP was about a single soda with one refill as allowed by Disney. Not taking the cup and getting soda all day long.

It's not theft when you paid for the soda. Theft is taking something without paying for it or breaking a rule in taking something (like trying to get around a shared plate charge or eating from someone else's buffet plate without paying for it).

If a person pays for a drink, it belongs to them. Disney does not dictate what you do with it. When you buy a churro at a stand, do you share with your spouse or kids? If you buy a corn dog or popcorn or a cupcake, do you offer even a bite to someone else? What about a bottle of water? If so, by these rules, that is stealing. You should not share. Sharing is bad. It's equivalent to stealing.

To say that people cannot share a drink (that does not have unlimited refills; to be clear, I am ONLY referring to the specific case mentioned by the OP) or else they are stealing is absolutely ridiculous to me. And saying that people are teaching their children to lie, cheat and steal is an incredible stretch.

WDW Trips: First trip January 2004! 1/2005, 1/2006, 2/2006, 1/2007, 12/2010, 1/2013
DLR Trips: First trip January 2006! 9/2007, 8/2010, 9/2011, 9/2012, 4/2013, 12/2013

Upcoming:
DLR August 2014 for 5 days for DD4's 5th birthday
WDW January 2015 for 4 days for DD2's 3rd birthday
tiffjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #57
DisneyJamieCA
DIS Veteran

I think there may be some confusion in the discussion, but we are talking about two different things here, IMO.

There is a big difference in taking a cup meant for water and filling it up with soda directly from the machine. This is stealing (again, IMO) because the restaurant has not planned on that soda going out. However, taking a water cup and filling it from the cup on your table already filled with soda, is not stealing. That soda has already been acounted for and therefore the restaurant won't care where it's going. Even if the original soda drinker choses to get their one alloted refill, there restaurant is not out any extra soda. This is assuming that the orginal soda drinker doesn't try to replace what they gave away, if that makes sense.

As for the buffet and the bacon example - if they offer bacon as a side on the regular menu for a cost and you don't order that and instead eat the bacon off a buffet eaters plate, than yes that is stealing. As was said though, if the buffet eater took 3 pieces of bacon, planning to eat them all and only ended up eating 2, so the othe rperson ate the last piece, I don't see the big issue. But taking 3 pieces with the idea buffet eater will eat two and table mate will eat one - yes, stealing. Obviously, there is some grey area in all of this and you have trust people and their intentions.

And cost has nothing to do with this for me. It doesn't matter if it costs the company $0.01 - if we haven't paid for it, it's not ours to take. But back to the soda - we did pay for it (both cups, however they are distrubuted in our party), so it is ours to decide how to use.

Upcoming: Oct 16-19 (DLH); Nov 19-25 (GCH)

DL Onsite - Aug. '06 (GCH), Dec. '06 (GCH), Dec. '07 (GCH), Feb. '12 (DLH) Nov. '12 (GCH), Nov. '13 (DLH), June '14 (PPH)

DL Offsite - Sept. '07, Aug. '08, Aug. '09, Nov. '10, July '11, June '12, Oct. '12

DisneyJamieCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #58
EmmersIsTheMommy
Ew maybe the dolls dance all night. *shudder*
... and she shall be called Epic Emily (per Crush)

After I read the initial post I knew immediately why there were so many replies LOL
Old 09-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #59
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furb & dez View Post
Yes, refills can be had while you're eating there.

Using a water cup to share sodas with your kids, however, is stealing. Great lesson?
This isn't stealing, if you purchase a set amount of a soda and share with your kids you aren't taking anything that you didn't pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrey2580 View Post
I didn't say I was having water, I asked for an extra cup. It is not a sit down restaurant and it was not for 4 people. It was 2 kids and next time I won't post anything to help anyone out.
We do just what you said all the time, we buy 1 soda for the girls to share and 1 for DBF and I to share. We never get more than 1 refill, sometimes, most times, we don't even get that! If I'm paying for 1 soda and 1 refill then however we chose to consume those sodas should be left to us. I do not buy a soda at Red Robin and share it with my kids, that is totally different, in that instance (if we even get sodas) we get 1 for each of us. Heck, yesterday I went to Chevy's, I got NO refills but still paid the same price I would have if I'd had 10 refills.

When we go places with the large sodas (like Taste Pilots Grill) we get 2 large sodas and again, share them between DBF and I and the girls share. We aren't consuming more than we paid for so what's the problem? If we want more to drink when we finish what we purchased then we buy another or we drink water.
Heck we went to the Golden Horseshoe once, got 1 chicken strip and 1 cheese stick meal, shared them between the 4 of us and then got 2 ice cream sundaes, again, shared. The girls shared 1 and DBF and I shared 1. We ate during Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, on the floor, first row, and no one said anything.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #60
perlster
DIS Veteran

If you believe the profit margin on a $3 cup of soda is small ....

What was the topic again?
perlster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: