Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #46
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

IMO the CM should have noted that the reservation was for a preferred room and apologized. The person should have been given options. With 25 hotels there weren't any that had a comparable room or an upgrade for these folks? Since it was only 1 night there had to be an empty room at one of the value resorts or mod. The CM should have apologized, offered them a comparable room or upgrade, or told them they could take a downgrade with a refund.

Or at the least, give them the downgrade with no options but give them a resort credit. That's a win-win for WDW. They resolve the problem and typically the person is happy because they get something free for their troubles. That's the least WDW could do...

I agree that problems happen outside WDW's control, just as with any other business however my complaint would not be with the fact that my room wasn't available but how WDW treated me when there was a problem (due to no fault of mine). They refused to acknowledge the problem, apologize, and try to leave me with a positive experience and not a 'downgraded' experience.
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #47
drp4video
Mouseketeer

what happened to the old saying that the customer is always right? It is horrible public relations to downgrade a paying customer when that customer has already paid for a specific type of room. This is business 101. You should have been upgraded. And what is even worse, is it sounds like had the OP not said anything, the CM wouldn't have even have given the credit.

If it was totally impossible to upgrade, perhaps the credit plus a free meal or other perk would have gone a long way to make the OP happy. Just the fact that we are all discussing this because of the way it was handled is bad PR for WDW.
drp4video is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #48
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snesguy View Post
Agree. I would have asked for a manager and had a firm conversation with him about this. I'm pretty sure if they were motivated enough they would upgrade me instead of downgrade me and my mission would be to motivate them.

The lesson I take away from the OP's post is that you should try to book your Disney stay before your cruise. Then you have a bit more leverage by threatening to cancel the cruise reservation or getting them to upgrade your room on the cruise.
You haven't cruised have you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthasor View Post
You really don't want to do this. Walt Disney World Travel Co. and Disney Cruise Line are two separate entities. Your bad experience at WDW will never, ever translate into an upgrade on a Disney cruise. Also, by the time you check-in for your pre-cruise WDW stay, you will be in the 100% cruise fare penalty phase if you cancel your cruise - meaning you will get absolutely no cash back. So in essence, having a reservation for a Disney cruise gives you absolutely no leverage at WDW.
I think what happened to the OP is unacceptable. When an airline overbooks, they typically offer people perks to change their flights - flight vouchers, hotels, meals, etc. Could you imagine booking a first-class ticket only to be told, sorry, no more seats, you are back in coach. Who would fly that airline ever again? It's bad customer service. They should have switched you to a mod.
Bolding is mine....
this is exactly what I was going to say. I don't think the PP has ever cruised and understands how it won't bother them or DCL if you threaten to cancel because you are paid in full and you aren't getting your money back at this point! If you don't show, your loss! The only people who might care are the servers who were supposed to take care of you because they may not have people taking your spots are thereby having reduced tips for that cruise, but other than that...You will not be missed! So that is an idle threat that will mean nothing. And really you don't want to threaten cancelling a package either unless you are willing to eat the penalties, it's really best to try to work something out with them.
I agree what they did was wrong and especially the fact that the OP probably would not have been credited money had they not asked about the price difference. That really bothers me! Personally, I think they should have either been comped the night or upgraded to a mod but that's JMHO or given a GC towards a meal or something. Something other than an "oh sorry!"
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #49
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilouisianagal View Post
But if it is happening repeatedly and people are not being offered the refund up front, then that certainly could move it into a legal definition of bait and switch.
The CMs at the check-in desk aren't the same CMs who assign the rooms. All they are doing is confirming guests and giving out the keys to the assigned rooms.

It's quite possible they aren't even aware what category of room was booked, or that a refund should be given.

If upon checking in you find that you haven't been given the correct room, you'll get much further by calmly and firmly stating the issue than you will by assuming it's a scam and throwing a fit.

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #50
Tink415
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy View Post
The CMs at the check-in desk aren't the same CMs who assign the rooms. All they are doing is confirming guests and giving out the keys to the assigned rooms.

It's quite possible they aren't even aware what category of room was booked, or that a refund should be given.

If upon checking in you find that you haven't been given the correct room, you'll get much further by calmly and firmly stating the issue than you will by assuming it's a scam and throwing a fit.
Definitely. agree with this. However, I do think when a room is downgraded there should be a note in the reservation and customers should be told up-front. Not being told at check in bothered me more than my room being downgraded.

All in all, we've been upgraded many many more times than downgraded.
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #51
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink415 View Post
Definitely. agree with this. However, I do think when a room is downgraded there should be a note in the reservation and customers should be told up-front. Not being told at check in bothered me more than my room being downgraded.
Exactly. The fact that the guest had to point it out is the kicker. Seems to me they need to train their front desk staff better (and no doubt some others as well).

The bottom line here is that people expect a high level of service from Disney, as well they should because it's part of Disney's brand image and they're paying a premium for it. . . . Simply crediting the difference in price between the two rooms is the absolute minimum--any roadside motel would have been obligated to do the same. So, for Disney (or any other business that prides itself on providing quality service), it is not enough. Doesn't have to be a huge gesture . . . after all, it was only one night and there was a room available . . . but would it kill them to offer the guest a free meal . . . or a room at a different resort . . . or a small discount? Just something to acknowledge that the company screwed up and to demonstrate to the customer that the screw up is not business as usual.

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #52
scotas
Mouseketeer

I was downgraded once, last year at CSR. I have to say I felt that resort handled it well. The CM at checkin immediately acknowledged there had been a downgrade due to a convention. I was refunded the difference, and given a room as close as possible to preferred sections, so I had only a few extra feet to walk. The CM also offered to get the manager, without my prompting.

1998 off site
2005 Pop Century 50's section
2007 Caribbean Beach Resort - Jamacia
2008 Pop Century - 50's section
2009 Coronado Springs - Cabanas 9B
2010 Coronado Springs - Casistas 3
2011 Coronado Springs - Cabanas 9B
2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 (Jan.) Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 (Sept) Contemporary Resort
2014 (Feb.) Caribbean Beach Resort
scotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #53
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Imagine if you had booked consierge and payed for it a year ahead of time. Then you arrive only to find out that you have been downgraded to a regular room. They have had your extra money for a year, when you could have been earning interest. Isn't this the same thing as being downgraded from a preferred room?

I can imagine the screams if someone tried to downgrade someone in consierge at say, The GF. Upgrades would be forthcoming, I imagine, or at least a resort change. Why then is it ok at a value? Not right!
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #54
Wendy&Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
Imagine if you had booked consierge and payed for it a year ahead of time. Then you arrive only to find out that you have been downgraded to a regular room. They have had your extra money for a year, when you could have been earning interest. Isn't this the same thing as being downgraded from a preferred room?

I can imagine the screams if someone tried to downgrade someone in consierge at say, The GF. Upgrades would be forthcoming, I imagine, or at least a resort change. Why then is it ok at a value? Not right!
No, preferred is not the same as concierge. Not even close.

However, it's not ok at either, and I don't believe anyone has said it is.

I also don't for one second believe there is any willfull scam or class discrimination occurring.

The "Oh that must be what this note in your file means" leads me to believe it's an issue with procedures or training.

Check-in CMs need to be fully aware of what category was reserved as well as what category was assigned and have set procedures for handling downgrades.

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Old 09-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #55
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No, preferred is not the same as concierge. Not even close.

However, it's not ok at either, and I don't believe anyone has said it is.

I also don't for one second believe there is any willfull scam or class discrimination occurring.

The "Oh that must be what this note in your file means" leads me to believe it's an issue with procedures or training.

Check-in CMs need to be fully aware of what category was reserved as well as what category was assigned and have set procedures for handling downgrades.
I never said they were the same, but the principle is the same. You plan AND PAY for a level of room and Disney takes your money (sometimes for over a year ahead of time). Why would a refund be acceptable in either case?

While I have never stayed at a Value, I can tell you that any complaint I have ever had at GF has been handled very swiftly, once even with an upgrade to concierge. Just saying....
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #56
Wendy&Grumpy

Quote:
I never said they were the same, but the principle is the same. You plan AND PAY for a level of room and Disney takes your money (sometimes for over a year ahead of time). Why would a refund be acceptable in either case?

While I have never stayed at a Value, I can tell you that any complaint I have ever had at GF has been handled very swiftly, once even with an upgrade to concierge. Just saying....
With "preferred" you are paying extra for location only - there is absolutely no difference in the room itself.

With concierge, you are paying extra for concierge level benefits - not just the same room in a "better" location.

If you book "preferred" and end up with "standard" you have the same room, only in a different location.

I don't understand why a refund of the extra charge for preferred would not be acceptable compensation.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #57
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't understand why a refund of the extra charge for preferred would not be acceptable compensation.
It is . . . for Motel 6. A company in the business of supplying "magic" really ought to go a bit above and beyond when it fails to honor a guest's reservation. It's really not good customer service to point to a contract and say, "we've done all we're obligated to do." It was only one night--just give them the closest room you can with a free dinner voucher or a 25% discount for their trouble. Not that complicated. Also, in this case, it sounds like they wouldn't have even credited the difference if the op hadn't pushed, which is entirely unacceptable. Particularly after that I think a goodwill gesture was in order.

I keep thinking of the Seinfeld where the rental car agency didn't have the car he'd reserved . . . "you know how to take the reservation, you just don't know how to hold the reservation and that's really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them."

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #58
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
With "preferred" you are paying extra for location only - there is absolutely no difference in the room itself.

With concierge, you are paying extra for concierge level benefits - not just the same room in a "better" location.

If you book "preferred" and end up with "standard" you have the same room, only in a different location.

I am curious as to if anyone has booked a king and been downgraded to a regular room type (two queens/doubles). That would be a difference in the room, not just the location.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #59
njgrl622
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzperry View Post
It is . . . for Motel 6. A company in the business of supplying "magic" really ought to go a bit above and beyond when it fails to honor a guest's reservation. It's really not good customer service to point to a contract and say, "we've done all we're obligated to do." It was only one night--just give them the closest room you can with a free dinner voucher or a 25% discount for their trouble. Not that complicated. Also, in this case, it sounds like they wouldn't have even credited the difference if the op hadn't pushed, which is entirely unacceptable. Particularly after that I think a goodwill gesture was in order.

I keep thinking of the Seinfeld where the rental car agency didn't have the car he'd reserved . . . "you know how to take the reservation, you just don't know how to hold the reservation and that's really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them."

OMG - I was thinking of the SAME Seinfeld episode - Too FUNNY!!!
njgrl622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #60
Buckimion
Purple Heart Park Commando

Quote:
I can imagine the screams if someone tried to downgrade someone in consierge at say, The GF. Upgrades would be forthcoming, I imagine, or at least a resort change.

I find this amusing. If you had booked the top-of-the-line CL at GF and got bumped, where would you go from there? The Castle Suite?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: