Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #31
canopynut66
DIS Veteran

would e mail guest relations on this as this is un called for. POP is ususally on it and sorry this happened but anytime somethign does come up ask for a manager and if that one don't work ask for his or her "property" manager. don't stop have them upgrade you then not downgrade you for their mistake...had this happen over to Music one time tow hours later we sitting in POR but not my fault they over booked
canopynut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #32
snesguy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakam View Post
I would not have taken a downgrade. You booked and paid for a preferred room. I would have asked to speak to a manager. I have never heard of anyone not getting the room they booked or better....if they had over booked the preferred room category they should have upgraded you to a moderate resort. Or given you a refund of the entire cost and let you stay for free.
Agree. I would have asked for a manager and had a firm conversation with him about this. I'm pretty sure if they were motivated enough they would upgrade me instead of downgrade me and my mission would be to motivate them.

The lesson I take away from the OP's post is that you should try to book your Disney stay before your cruise. Then you have a bit more leverage by threatening to cancel the cruise reservation or getting them to upgrade your room on the cruise.
snesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #33
MistressMerryweather
DIS Veteran

I would never have accepted it. If you are persistent, they will accommodate. You may have to stand there for a couple hours, but they will fold. Downgrade is not acceptable. Nope. You either give me what I paid for, or you upgrade me. Otherwise, the extra money I pay for preferred was basically borrowed from Disney until I arrived and not acceptable.

Me ~ DH ~ Ds(11) ~ Dd(9) ~ Ds(5) ~ Dd(3) ...our Sept. 2010 DW souvenir ~ SURPRISE little one born Aug. '13

MistressMerryweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #34
Hoopfamily
We're 3 Caballeros, We're 3 Caballeros, They say we are birds of a feather.

Booking as room is not like booking an airline ticket. You are 100% entitled to the room level you booked, especially if it was prepaid. However compensation would be the answer., stuff happens. But it's a little like ordering a steak and being brought a burger don't you think?
May '01 Orange Lake, Sept '02 Wilderness Lodge, Oct '06 Boardwalk, May '08 Radisson Worldgate, Oct '08Vistana Villages, May '09 Mariott Sabal Palms, June '10 Sabal Palms Again, Nov '12 ASMu, Sept '14 Saratoga Springs Resort

Hoopfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #35
reiella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Not sure what happened but sometimes rooms go out of service unexpectedly. Pipe breaks, AC goes out, etc.
While true, I think the real problem is how the CMs are trained [or not trained as the case may be] to interact with the guest in these cases. As it is, it can come off Disney trying to pull a fast one on the guests.

I do understand that with some resorts [especially the Value ones] there aren't a whole lot of booking categories to 'upgrade'.
reiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #36
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Yes, this does happen sometimes, when the preferred rooms end up not being available. I agree with the above post that it does seem sometimes, in the way the cast members handle it, that Disney is trying to pull a fast one, but they will do this if the rooms aren't available. They just probably won't tell you WHY the rooms aren't available.

I've heard all they'll offer you is a room at the same resort and the price difference refunded. They will not offer to comp your room and will try to keep you at the resort you booked. If you want more (like an upgrade - which at a value would mean you will be sent to a different resort) you will probably have to ask for it from a manager and be prepared for them to say no, but if the preferred rooms at that resort are not available for some reason you're not going to get one.

And no, you are not 100% entitled to the room level you booked. In travel, you are not 100% entitled to anything,

Last edited by TDC Nala; 09-04-2012 at 08:13 AM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #37
Hoopfamily
We're 3 Caballeros, We're 3 Caballeros, They say we are birds of a feather.

We can agree to disagree on what you are entitled to, but most companies will at the very least either compensate or refund. No company would make you pay top dollar for a better item, room, seat and then take it away without compensation. That's called a bait and switch and is at the very least least bad form and in some cases illegal. However Like any profitable business if you the consumer are going to agree to no compensation then they would Like that also.
May '01 Orange Lake, Sept '02 Wilderness Lodge, Oct '06 Boardwalk, May '08 Radisson Worldgate, Oct '08Vistana Villages, May '09 Mariott Sabal Palms, June '10 Sabal Palms Again, Nov '12 ASMu, Sept '14 Saratoga Springs Resort

Hoopfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #38
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
most companies will at the very least either compensate or refund.
Disney will refund the difference (some have said they have to ask to be sure it's done, so make sure you ask). If the room you booked is not available when you check in due to unforeseen circumstances, it is not a bait and switch, nor is it illegal. If they allow you to book it KNOWING you won't get it at the time you book it, then you're getting into bait and switch territory, but who knows if that's the case or not. I am sure most of the posters are thinking such a move deserves a FULL refund and a free vacation, but that is likely not what Disney will do without the guest pushing it further. That's how it is. You can accept what they offer and be done with it, but be prepared to push if you want more.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #39
lilouisianagal
Mouseketeer

But if it is happening repeatedly and people are not being offered the refund up front, then that certainly could move it into a legal definition of bait and switch.

DisneyLand Hotel 1988 Carribean Beach 1992, 1995, 2006, 2007 , 2009 Dixie Landings 1997, 1999Port Orleans 2002 Off Site: MissionAir 2004 Disney Cruise Line (Honeymoon on the Wonder): May 24-28, 2009 Pop Century 2011 Disney Cruise Line: May 27- June 1, 2012 Coronado Springs Resort 2013
lilouisianagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #40
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

It's always a good idea to check and make sure they refund the difference. They're supposed to do it. If someone's not doing it, it's probably inadvertent. And I believe you have to check every single thing about a Disney reservation somehow. They don't have the best track record.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #41
Arielle22
We have had spirits
I had never heard of it before the Dis
this is how we show love, get used to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilouisianagal View Post
But if it is happening repeatedly and people are not being offered the refund up front, then that certainly could move it into a legal definition of bait and switch.
For it to be bait and switch the company would know in advance that is it advertising something that isn't available. That is not the case with room problems.
CB 03/92
CSR and BC 08/09
BWI 11/11
OFF SITE 88,94,96,00

Arielle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #42
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!

I just can't imagine they didn't have something closer.....I mean it was for one night. They seriously didn't have not one room closer they could have put the OP in?

TheRatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #43
edillen3953
Earning My Ears

You would think they would accomodate you but the reality is they are a business. Just because they are Disney does not mean they will always do what is right.

They do this because they can get away with it. They had 17 million visitors last year. Their business model takes into account a certain percentage of unhappy customers. I'd bet that single night room reservations without park tickets get put at the bottom too.

Their "happiness" is a business model. Not a true reflection of how they feel.

Don't get me wrong, I love the place but we are all statistics to them and statistically they are fine with upsetting a certain percentage because they have plenty of others waiting to fill their parks and rooms.

Sorry that happend to you.
edillen3953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #44
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snesguy View Post

The lesson I take away from the OP's post is that you should try to book your Disney stay before your cruise. Then you have a bit more leverage by threatening to cancel the cruise reservation or getting them to upgrade your room on the cruise.
You really don't want to do this. Walt Disney World Travel Co. and Disney Cruise Line are two separate entities. Your bad experience at WDW will never, ever translate into an upgrade on a Disney cruise. Also, by the time you check-in for your pre-cruise WDW stay, you will be in the 100% cruise fare penalty phase if you cancel your cruise - meaning you will get absolutely no cash back. So in essence, having a reservation for a Disney cruise gives you absolutely no leverage at WDW.

I think what happened to the OP is unacceptable. When an airline overbooks, they typically offer people perks to change their flights - flight vouchers, hotels, meals, etc. Could you imagine booking a first-class ticket only to be told, sorry, no more seats, you are back in coach. Who would fly that airline ever again? It's bad customer service. They should have switched you to a mod.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #45
WendyWuWu
Mouseketeer

We were "downgraded" at CBR several years ago. We booked and paid for a King room months in advance. When we got there, they had no King rooms, nor would they have any come available during our stay, so instead of upgrading us to a better resort, or refunding the difference, they instead gave us a waterview room. Yes, the scenery was nice, but we walked sooooooooooo far, and the stay in a double bed for the eight days we were there was miserable! I'll never stay at that resort again for this reason alone.
Our next visit, we were upgraded at our stay at WL. We now call it even.

Me..Wendy DH..Larry DS..Adam DN...Allie

Offsite..1992; Offsite...1995; POR..2004; CBR...2008; POFQ...2009; WL/BLT...2010; YC...2011; YC...2012; SOG...2013; YC...2014
WendyWuWu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: