Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #16
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

It happens. Sometimes things happen that take rooms out of inventory. All Disney is required to do by law is make things even. That could mean a preferred room at another resort or a refund. I would never expect anything else. I get being disappointed, but I don't quite understand the outrage (unless they attempted to downgrade you without offering a refund).

And I should point out that it's not just at Disney where this can happen. So I am not defending Disney in this case. I am simply explaining how it can happy, Disney or not, and what should be expected, Disney or not.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #17
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmaw View Post
I think your wrong, you paid for a certain catagory and you should get it, it is that simple. It would be different if every room is the same price and you put in your request 2 years prior and you faxed and on ana on and on.
Actually every WDW reservation has a clause which means that all you are guaranteed is a room on Disney property. Anything else is subject to availability. I get they do it to protect themselves, in case something happens outside of their control. What I don't get is not taking care of the people you do bump. It should never be ok to just downgrade a guest.

I have taken flack from other posters for pointing out that connecting rooms are not 100% guaranteed. This illustrates why. Nothing is 100% guaranteed, and you do yourself no favor by thinking it is. Still, imho, you should at least get what you pay for or better.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #18
pooh4brains
Mouseketeer

What if you hadn't pressed the issue and just taken the room that they assigned? Would they have allowed you to go to your non-preferred room and not credited you for the difference?? Sounds like it to me, and that makes the situation even in worse!

There shouldn't be a preferred booking category if they can't guarantee that you will be in a preferred room. Not only does it make Disney look bad, but it puts the front desk staff in a tough spot. THEY aren't the ones that assigned the room, but they take the heat when guests are rightly PO'd. Sounds like a situation that could get out of hand if it isn't corrected. The real problem is that there is always someone else willing to hand Disney their money, and unless everyone that has this happen complains endlessly, it will continue to happen.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
wdwmaw
planin' next trip

You don't pay for connecting rooms, or corner room, or 5th floor. You do pay for preferred and I am sorry, not gonna happen to us, simply sorry. Disney has and continues to upgrade guest all the time, so the thinking that an upgrade should not be expected when the room I paid for is not available, is not out of the rehlm of possiblity.

I have the terms and conditions in front of me now and not seeing that info on the documents I have. Under the ROOM LOCATION AND INFORMATION clause does not mention your information but does mention that requests for specific room type or location may result in additional charges to be paid directly to the hotel (I assume your request bldg 14 which is prefered but you only paid for standard).

The only part that does hint that Disney can change or cancel at any time under the General Conditions and Responsibility clause refers to the guest comitting fraudulant or misleading activity in making the reservation.

I hope you can shed some light on this as it is great to have correct information when presenting an argument at check in of guest rights.

24 trips and plannin' the next 1
wdwmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #20
mb187143
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Trust me, they don't look at your booking history...
actually, i think it depends on the CM - when we checked in to our resort in June, the CM not only commented that she saw we had just visited in December and asked how we enjoyed the Polynesian (where we stayed in Dec.), but also commented that she saw a wedding/honeymoon notification on our next visit in November, and offered us an early congratulations. I think they can see it, but i don't know the extent of the detail that's captured or if something like being downgraded from a paid-for location could be recorded. But the CM definitely had our previous and our next trip right in front of her when we checked in. I wonder if some just don't bother to look.

mb187143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #21
disnut8
DIS Veteran

This happens at offsite places too so I wouldn't be carrying on about Disney stuff. We booked and paid for a king size bed room at an offsite place. We didn't check in when we arrived in Kissimmee since this hotel will NOT check you in until after 3:00 so we went to Epcot and stayed until just before Illuminations. When we got to the hotel, we were told all the king bed rooms were gone. We were stuck with a queen size bed but we were refunded the different in the price.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #22
mississaugamom
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for your opinions. I did sense that if I had not insisted that I had booked a preferred room, no mention of the downgrade (and subsequent refund of the difference) would have been forthcoming.

I think I will send an email to Disney ... although I accepted it quietly at the time (long line at check-in) I had just spent 16 days with them - 8 at Caribbean Beach AND 7 nights on the Disney Fantasy. They had seen plenty of our money - a bad downgrade was an unfortunate end to a Disney holiday.
mississaugamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #23
carly chloe
DIS Veteran

I think it is bad to downgrade a reservation that you had thought about and decided where you wanted to stay and were excited about your decision for months and then at the last minute- take that away from you. it shouldn't be done. IF they are going to take something away from you it should at least be equal or above what you wanted for the inconvenience and hurt you feel after months of picking out your dream vacation.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #24
pooh4brains
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississaugamom View Post
Thank you all for your opinions. I did sense that if I had not insisted that I had booked a preferred room, no mention of the downgrade (and subsequent refund of the difference) would have been forthcoming.
Honestly, this is what I find most alarming. Maybe your check-in CM was pooped out and just wanted to move you along and maybe the credit would have shown up on your CC had you just accepted the 90s building without question...BUT the fact that they were just going to send you to the room without an explanation and without offer of a refund is not cool. If it were me, I would stress this in your email to Disney.

I get that nothing is guaranteed (I mean, I get that on it's face, but it's total BS - if you book it it should be there) but it really seems shady to try and send you away without bothering to explain the situation.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #25
Waltgirl
No, it's fine, it's just regular everyday sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississaugamom View Post
Holy cow. That is totally unacceptable. There is no way I would ever put up with that. There is just no excuse, it's almost like a scam!

Good for you for your persistance.
Waltgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #26
andeesings
DIS Veteran

This EXACT thing just happened to me when I booked a one-night stay at Pop (we flew in early to beat the hurricane that never was)!!! Only I was STUPID and didn't argue and didn't even GET the refund! That one night in the 90's building was TERRIBLE. When she finally showed me the map where our room was (I booked 2 adjoining rooms for my family and my cousin's family), and I said, "What??? That horrible, far-off building?" She said, "Oh... did you want me to look for a closer one?" But my cousin's husband had already started heading off for the room so it was too late. UGH!
andeesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #27
pooh4brains
Mouseketeer

I feel like a broken record on this thread, but after 2 posters have the same thing happen, and one doesn't get a credit...something is a bit fishy here. How many other guests have had this happen?? Time for you to complain, too andeesings. It might be too late for your credit but you can, at the very least, stress that you were downgraded without explanation AND not offered or given a credit for the additional amount that you paid for your preferred room. Disney might not be able to guarantee the room you booked, but they should be able to guarantee fair business practices! This just really bothers me.

Last edited by pooh4brains; 09-03-2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: added a word
pooh4brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #28
lilouisianagal
Mouseketeer

For those who say this happens off property also, that's fine and dandy, but this is Disney. Most people pick Disney because of the magic, the pixie dust, and the [hopefully] outstanding customer service. That used to be what Disney was known for and what it built its company name on.

DisneyLand Hotel 1988 Carribean Beach 1992, 1995, 2006, 2007 , 2009 Dixie Landings 1997, 1999Port Orleans 2002 Off Site: MissionAir 2004 Disney Cruise Line (Honeymoon on the Wonder): May 24-28, 2009 Pop Century 2011 Disney Cruise Line: May 27- June 1, 2012 Coronado Springs Resort 2013
lilouisianagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #29
Tink415
DIS Veteran

Definitely email or write a letter. Good luck with it.
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #30
JJsmama
Becoming an accidental expert on resorts Far from The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriegerjr View Post
I have to be honest, with the money we all spend there, if the CM isn't first looking at you're booking history before attempting a stunt like this, they are nuts. I'd tell them in no uncertain terms, if they cannot provide the room booked and paid for, I'd be canceling my room and taking my money OFF property. I'd also be calling CRO, explaining what happened, and see if they could find me another room on property.
Sounds good in theory but if you have had a long day already, making a stand for the principle of it is not always practical. I don't blame the OP at all for settling for the available room and refund instead of dragging the family all around town, especially if it was only one night. If it were more than that, I would have insisted that the room be changed the next day.

Contemporary x 5 trips, Polynesian x 4 trips, Beach Club x 2 trip, Wilderness Lodge x 1 trip, Port Orleans R / FQ x 3 trips, All Stars Movies x 1 trip, Tokyo DisneyLand and Tokyo DisneySea x 1 trip, Disney Cruise line x 3 cruises

Animal Kingdom Lodge & Contemporary Here We Come! Summer 2014
JJsmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: