Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #16
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

It's more trouble than it's worth.. making reservations, figuring out what to do with the snack credits that are always left over. I did speak with a CM last time I was there and asked how many people not on the DDP get desserts at QSRs. He said, 'almost never.'
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #17
Queen2PrincessG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherinva View Post
It really depends on what you like to eat and your budget. I've done both the table service and quick service and for us, we find them a value....however, we don't do the table service plan anymore...it's too much food.....we are much happier with the quick service. Also, what I did was look at menus and prices and compared what I would spend out of pocket vs the price of the dining plan......every time, the dining plan saved us money. Do some research and then you can make a decision that will work best for you. Good Luck.
THIS!

It's worth it to really look at a typical breakfast menu, lunch and dinner and then do the math.
For us (family of 3) it's worth it because its something else we can pay off before our trip/ less cash to carry. We always have a sit down breakfast and dinner. Character dinner can be expensive so right there it has been worth it for us each time.

Queen2PrincessG is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #18
autismgoesdisney
DIS Veteran

We love it. It gives our vacations a peace of mind. And it tastes better free!

Previous trips to WDW: 1981 Poly; 1984 Poly; Mar 2001 CSR; Nov 2008 Sports AS; Dec 2010 POP Century; Aug 2011 POR; Aug 2012 CBR/POR; Aug 2013 AOA/POR; Aug 2014 POR
Previous cruises: Carnival Splendor April 2013; Disney Fantasy January 2014;
autismgoesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhurley View Post
My main question is that, would you suggest getting the dining plan? We would be eating at table services but we still don't see how it would save us any money.
When I have people ask me this question, I suggest they really look at the food they are getting. If it's things you would normally eat, then it's probably worth it. I've never done the dining plan simply because it's way too much food for us. I believe the regular dining plan is one table service meal, one counter service meal, and one snack per person per day. The quick service dining plan is two counter service meals per person per day and I think a snack as well. My husband and I will eat one counter service meal (just the entree, no dessert) and one snack per day so it would be a waste for us to do either plan. We do sometimes eat a table service meal but we don't like the rigidity of having to plan your meals and make the dining reservations and then plan around that. So for us, it doesn't make sense.

However, if you eat a lunch (like a counter service type) and a dinner that includes desserts plus have a snack like popcorn or a pretzel every day in the normal world, then it would be worth it. Some people do that, my husband and I just don't.

Just remember if you do the table service plan, you should make dining reservations before you get to Disney World.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #20
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhurley View Post
I live in Florida and my girlfriend and me are planning on going to Disney World for New Years Eve, staying for two nights. We have been talking about getting dining plan, but when we researched the prices, we don't really see how it could be worth it.

My main question is that, would you suggest getting the dining plan? We would be eating at table services but we still don't see how it would save us any money.
Generally for adults, it will not save money UNLESS you order very specifically.
Examples:
You will save money if:
- You eat a CS lunch, with beverage and dessert, AND eat a character dinner, AND a snack.
OR
- You eat a CS lunch, with beverage and dessert, and order the steak at a 1-credit restaurant, and get dessert and beverage AND snack.

You will lose money if:
Examples:
- You eat a CS breakfast, get a snack, and eat Chicken Parmigiana with dessert and beverage at Tony's Town Square.
- You eat a TS lunch at the Plaza, including dessert and beverage, and eat a CS dinner at Columbia Harbor House, plus snack.
- You eat a CS lunch with beverage, but skip the dessert, get a mid-day snack, and order the pork chop at Kona Cafe, with beverage, and share a dessert with your significant other.

Overall, there are more combinations that lose money than save money.

Another way of looking at it, you will generally only save significantly IF you eat dessert at every meal and always eat character meals and/or steak dinners.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ddp, dining plan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: