Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
dkhurley
Mouseketeer

Is DDP worth it?

I live in Florida and my girlfriend and me are planning on going to Disney World for New Years Eve, staying for two nights. We have been talking about getting dining plan, but when we researched the prices, we don't really see how it could be worth it.

My main question is that, would you suggest getting the dining plan? We would be eating at table services but we still don't see how it would save us any money.
dkhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
hardhead
Mouseketeer

No, dont do it a waste imho
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
GadgetRick
DIS Veteran

Is it worth it? Well, that's quite subjective. Only you can decide whether it's worth it based on your situation.

Would I suggest paying extra for it? No. You're forced to eat the garbage Disney is passing off as food these days.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

It really depends on what you like to eat and your budget. I've done both the table service and quick service and for us, we find them a value....however, we don't do the table service plan anymore...it's too much food.....we are much happier with the quick service. Also, what I did was look at menus and prices and compared what I would spend out of pocket vs the price of the dining plan......every time, the dining plan saved us money. Do some research and then you can make a decision that will work best for you. Good Luck.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayºoº
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhurley View Post
I live in Florida and my girlfriend and me are planning on going to Disney World for New Years Eve, staying for two nights. We have been talking about getting dining plan, but when we researched the prices, we don't really see how it could be worth it.

My main question is that, would you suggest getting the dining plan? We would be eating at table services but we still don't see how it would save us any money.
The only real way to know is to also research the menus at the places you want to dine and see what you might order and compare that to the price of the plan. Remember to add 6.5% tax to your total from the menus.

With the regular DDP, you get entree, non-alcoholic drink, and dessert for each of you. If you don't order all of these for both of you, you will lose value on the DDP.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
The only real way to know is to also research the menus at the places you want to dine and see what you might order and compare that to the price of the plan. Remember to add 6.5% tax to your total from the menus.

With the regular DDP, you get entree, non-alcoholic drink, and dessert for each of you. If you don't order all of these for both of you, you will lose value on the DDP.
I agree - imagine there is no dining plan - where would you eat? What would you eat? Add up the cost plus tax and tip.

Then check out the dining plans - in your case (if you're doing TS) either the regular dining plan or the deluxe (which I'm anti but it works for many people). Pick out where you'd eat with your credits - don't forget it really only covers 2 meals per day (for the regular plan - 1 CS and 1 TS and 1 Snack). Would you pay OOP for the 'extra' meal? add that to your cost. Are you going to eat more snacks than are on the plan - if so add that cost in. Don't forget to calculate tips for all TS meals and add that in.

Then you can compare prices/ cost and see what works best for you.
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies

Our new favorite thing to do (between Disney trips) is posting DHs photos on foap - he's under guanojoe (how funny is that?!)
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
Atchley
"Bedsheets? Who invited that kid?"

For some, like me, DDP is a convenience thing. There will be some telling me that I am silly for paying extra money for something that I could just save for and pay OOP, but it is real piece of mind for me.
When we go, it is usually for a week or more. It is DH, myself, DD and DS. I know that whatever happens during the week, we will eat. If DH loses his wallet, we can eat. If our bank account gets hacked, we will eat. If we are robbed, we will eat. I can't be thousands of miles from home and not be sure that I am going to be able to feed my kids. It's an insurance policy, if you will.
Others will argue that you don't really need the desserts with the meals. I will say that it is true, but your on vacation. What kid, or adult for that matter, doesn't look at the dessert menu and wish that they could get something off of it. We don't really do dessert any other time, but at Disney, we are getting dessert.
The DDP is not for everyone. Just review your options and choose what is right for you. You might even review the prices of the restaurants at which you are wanting to dine.

May 30/June 8 2013-AKVJune 6/9 2012-CBRJune 9/16 2012-VWLSept 4/11 2010-BLTSept 3/8 2009-PORJuly 17/25 2009-WLJuly 19/26 2008-WL July 15/22 2006-CBR July 20/26 2003-ASMo
Atchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
ghtx
"In this times that all strategies seem to be death and you pay to eat fart and make a line in the parks of DW and just a few rides..."

You could, as PPs have recommended, think about exactly what you'd eat for each meal, how much it would cost, and then compare with how much you'd eat with the DDP and determine how much if any money that you would save.

Or, you could save yourself the trouble and just not bother with it. Even if it did save you a bit of money, the hassle it creates (both in terms of planning on what and where you will eat and in what you can order) is not worth it IMO.

I vote no.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

One more piece of advice:

Before you add on the dining plan, be sure you can get ADRs at the places you want to eat. That is one of the busiest times of the year, and people have been making ADRs for that time period for a couple months now.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Dozens of WDW trips:

Zero dining plans.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
iuki
Mouseketeer

If you haven't already made your reservations, go to the WDW website and compute your stay with and without the DDP.

TS restaurants can be very spendy - especially buffets - an easy $100 tab for two people.

Compare your total costs with your dining preferences with the total costs computed for you on the website, and then make your decision.

Enjoy your vacation.
iuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

Mum worked out that for us, the QSDP works out equal to the amount we would spend on CS meals. *shrug*

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Maybe.

We saved money every time we were on the dining plan. But many people don't save money. As others have said, you have to figure out about how much per day you will end up spending on food (that corresponds to the food you would get on the plan), and see which costs more.

I can tell you I dlslike the fact that now the DDP includes the refillable mugs. We used those two in five trips. One time we got them for free, and the other time we only bought one for three of us. I would rather have the price be a little cheaper and not include the mugs at all.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Get ADRs in place. Check out the menus. Write down how much you would spend at each meal. Add in the tax as well. Then, add in the gratuity. Do the same for any counter service meals...I usually eat one large, table service meal a day, and a counter service meal...breakfast is usually in my room.
Ok....add up the cost per day. Total it. THen, add up the cost per day, for the ddp. Don't forget to add in the gratuities from each table service meal..and the tax. Most people forget to add that to the daily cost for ddp and are then surprised to find they have spent more than they thought they would!!

I seldom find it cost effective to use the ddp. I did use the deluxe ddp a few years ago..that worked out very well...but that was basically because we had two couples going, and we had a signature meal, at dinner, almost every night. With a nice big breakfast buffet each morning. That time it did pay off for us.

So, you have to do your homework.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #15
dkhurley
Mouseketeer

Thank you everyone for the replies! We're actually going through menu's right now and checking reservation ability. This stay is more last minute. If we were planning on staying for multiple days, we would have planned farther out and got ADRs at 180 days. We might get the dining plan, as we found multiple restaurants that we could easily make it worth the money. We're going to be making reservations on some restaurants very soon. We already have reservations to Be Our Guest!
dkhurley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ddp, dining plan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: