Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #16
disneycrazi
watch your head and step as you disembark

We have been cable free for 4 years and dont miss it one bit! We have an antenna that picks up 40 or so channels and honestly the only show we watch regularly is ABCs Once Upon A Time. We love football and do miss some games but we save so much money and family time. We also gave up Netflix and we dont have any type of streaming device. We have also downsized our house and have really cut out a lot of.other things we decided we not needed. Its not for everyone but its great for us.
(2003 Day Trip) (2009 April All Star Movies) (2009 September Port Orleans Riverside) (2010 April Caribbean Beach) (2010 Sept Grand Gathering POFQ) (2011 Jan Contemporary) (2011 April All Star Music) (2011 July POP Century) (2012 January All Star Sports)
(2012 Feb One More Disney Day Coronado Springs)
(2012 Sept Animal Kingdom Jambo) (2013 March Old Key West) (2013 October Art Of Animation, Polynesian)
(2014 April off site Fountains Resort)
disneycrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #17
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Anyone know of outlets other than cable for sports that are on espn, etc? DH is a huge bball fan and that's about the only thing keeping me from giving up cable.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #18
Kat77
Now if I could just remember how to spell and how not to write in run on sentences....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
I did take the last 3 days and make a list of all the things we TIVO and DVR and the networks to see which system would air what shows. I can't watch Drop Dead Diva on the TV with hulu or amazon, I have to watch that one on the computer. I can watch Grimm on Hulu. Doctor Who on Amazon. etc....
Thank you!!!

I'm off to check out that possibility right now. That's been our major issue with dropping service.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #19
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
Anyone know of outlets other than cable for sports that are on espn, etc? DH is a huge bball fan and that's about the only thing keeping me from giving up cable.
Football is the one thing that is hard. They have no streaming of any sort. I wish they would offer it as channel on netflix, my DH would purchase that.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #20
LisaR

We stream NFL games through Wiziwig for free each week when we are home. We connect our computer up to the TV (needs to be HD) and pick our home team and watch the game live. Can't beat it.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #21
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

Please remember that most sites that stream sports are illegal. You cannot watch NFL online on any site legally and you can open yourself up to viruses.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #22
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
Please remember that most sites that stream sports are illegal. You cannot watch NFL online on any site legally and you can open yourself up to viruses.
When we first started using Wiziwig, I did an extensive search at that time about the legality of it. I couldn't find anything saying it was illegal. I just did a quick 2 minute search because I don't have time at the moment but nothing major popped up that I could see. I'm not saying there isn't anything out there but I didn't see it in a quick search.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #23
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
The only options to watch ESPN are:
Cable
Dish Network
DirecTV.

If you want to put a satellite dish (and I'm talking a BIG one... 2-4M), you can feed it to a receiver and watch the "backhauls" of games. The "backhaul" is the feed from the stadium back to ESPN, ABC, NBC, etc. The backhaul can be interesting, because instead of commercials, they'll put up beauty shots, rehearsals, etc. However, putting up a satellite dish (and being able to control because you need to see different satellites), is not cheap, AND being able to find the information for a particular game isn't always easy (although there's a website for that similar to Disboards).
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #24
Nayan
DIS Veteran

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...way/50220232/1
Old 09-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #25
Mom_Rides
DIS Veteran

I moved from my parents house in 1995 and I've never ever had cable. When DH and I got together we talked about it but didn't find it to be a necessary expense. We have Netflix that we stream through the Wii. I like that I can control what my DD watches and that what she watches shows up in the "recently watched" section on Netflix. If she watches something I don't think is good on Netflix I tell her that I don't want her to watch it again. I don't have that option with cable.

We don't have a flat screen TV, our TV wasn't set up for digital. We got a converter box for the living room and one for our bedroom. We have antennas in both as well. We get 2 local CBS, FOX & NBC stations, and 3 local ABC and PBS channels. There's always something on one of those that catches our eye!

Our first trip! June 5-11, 2010 @ POR
A short trip just for our Princess! April 17-19, 2012 @ POP
Mom_Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #26
Nayan
DIS Veteran

If you have Amazon Prime, they announced yesterday that they inked a deal with Epix, bringing more movies to streaming and even newer releases.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/09/amaz...ing-deal-epix/
Old 09-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #27
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat77 View Post
Thank you!!!

I'm off to check out that possibility right now. That's been our major issue with dropping service.
You can also buy the season fo Doctor Who on iTunes if you have access to that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: