Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
csummerlin55
Mouseketeer

Need help picking our poison... Christmas or 4th of July?

DH got a new job, yay! DH's new job only allows us to travel to the World 4th of July week or Christmas week, boo. We have been at Christmastime but never Christmas week. Our summer trips are usually 1st week in June or September. We have always tried to use promos and skip crowds but now I don't see that happening.

Which week would you pick and why?

TIA!
csummerlin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

Christmas and 4th of July are both crowded. So that's not really a consideration.

Do you want to wait in lines in the heat or the cold?

Do you want 4th of July fireworks? Or the festivities of Christmas?

I choose Christmas. I'd rather add a few layers of clothing than be hot and sticky. I have been to WDW in the summertime once and will never do it again.
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #3
MistressMerryweather
DIS Veteran

I think it all comes down to weather. Can you take the heat and do you like to lounge by the pool or do you want to walk through the parks leisurely with a chance of it being full on jacket weather and maybe swim on the really warm days? I would choose Christmas 90% of the time.

Me ~ DH ~ Ds(10) ~ Dd(9) ~ Ds(5) ~ Dd(3) ...our Sept. 2010 DW souvenir ~ SURPRISE little one born Aug. '13

MistressMerryweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
GrumpyMan in PA
GrumpyMan in PA

July 4 or Christmas ???

Having been there for both myself -- hands down pick Christmas!!
It's going to be a large crowd either way. You can choose do it standing next to 100's of people in hot and humid, stagnant, sweaty and maybe even "odorous" people OR a lot more comfortably in cooler, less humid, much more tolerable weather (plus it hardly ever rains this time of year). You might even need to bring a light jacket. I would choose Christmas over July 4th every time. Plus, the parks are fully decked out in Christmas mode. Hope you have a wonderful trip.
GrumpyMan in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #5
JimS4210
Counting down the days until our next vacation...

It's a no-brainer. Definitely Christmas. Crowds will be brutal either way but the weather will be much more comfortable and all of the decorations will be up. TBH, unless you have kids and don't want to take them out of school, I can't understand why anyone would go in the middle of summer.

I'd be surprised if you get any posts recommending July 4th. But I've been wrong before!

Jim

JimS4210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

If you like the heat and the ability to hang out by the pool, go over the 4th. You can always get up early, hit the parks before the hoards, and then go back to your resort and swim.

My one December trip it was so cold that hardly anyone was ever in the pool. I wore my winter jacket almost the whole time, and had gloves on at night.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
fallschurch
Earning My Ears

We have been during both times multiple times and prefer Christmas.

I think the fourth of July has some slower days before/after the holiday that can be quite enjoyable. Christmas week is always very busy everyday.

We like the weather during Christmas and we can usually go to the pool a few days. The fourth is really hot and humid. We really don't like it as much. The last fourth at the park, we were at the castle and decided to give up because of the crowds. It took us about 40 minutes to reach the front gate. Throngs of people and we were all pretty ripe. I swore never again in the heat of the moment. I think the crowds are managed better during Christmas. It is busier but they have everything taped off with paths. We also enjoy all of the holiday decorations not to mention leaving the cold for a warmer climate.

We do think it is harder to get ADRs during Christmas, car rentals seem more expensive during this time and we haver never had any discounts either. During the fluty, we have some discounts per/post days. We still like Christmas better.
fallschurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #8
BYC
DIS Veteran

Christmas! July heat is horrible.
BYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
csummerlin55
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
If you like the heat and the ability to hang out by the pool, go over the 4th. You can always get up early, hit the parks before the hoards, and then go back to your resort and swim.

My one December trip it was so cold that hardly anyone was ever in the pool. I wore my winter jacket almost the whole time, and had gloves on at night.
It's funny you should mention that cold. Our last December trip was when they had record lows (I want to say one day it was in the 20's) and, of course, none of us were prepared so we had to buy hats and scarves. We still froze even with the new gear!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
csummerlin55
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all of the feedback. I was leaning towards Christmas in my mind but my heart keeps yelling at me how much longer I'll have to wait if we go for Christmas.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
Couchy
DIS Veteran

I went both at both time this past year. I prefer July but I love love love pool time and did not mind the heat.

4 trips as a kid.2002-Westgate, 2004 -Hilton DTD, 2005 -Westgate, 2007 -Royal Sun DTD, 2008 Hilton DTD, April 2011 -Swan, Dec 2011-Dolphin/ Yacht Club , Feb 2012 -Solo@Swan , April 2012-Dolphin with our friends, june/july 2012 - Beach Club
Couchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

Tough one! Weather for parks should be better at Christmas, unless it's unusually cold. My concern would be travel weather. We drive from Ohio, and I wouldn't want to drive through the mountains in December if there was any chance of snow/ice.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #13
shannonstar
StarGirlJapp

For us, it would be Christmas. Beautiful decorations. Osbourne Lights. MVMCP. Cooler weather. Just seems like it would be a little more magical.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
disneyfanfamily
DIS Veteran

We have been over the 4th a couple times. It is crowded, but only REALLY crowded the 4th and the day before and after. LOVE the 4th (and they do them on the 3rd too) fireworks!

I would LOVE to go during Christmas time, but my understanding it is busy the whole week and can be cold. I do not like being cold. Not even a little cold. LOL. So I would pick the 4th, especially since you have gone already and seen the decorations.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #15
hidmickey:myantidrug
DIS Veteran

I've never been over either, so take my POV for what it's worth (approximately $.02), but for me it would come down to which holiday I would miss being home for the least. So since I would dearly miss Christmas day at home, I'd go over the 4th, although all logic really points to Christmas (weather, etc.). For me, it would then be two exciting points in the year--Christmas and Disney--instead of clunking it all together at once.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
hidmickey:myantidrug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christmas, crowd, fourth of july

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: