Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #16
tiggspring
DIS Veteran: When I stop talking you'll know I'm dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2013 View Post
Thanks everyone!

We planned on going for only 5 nights.
I hear what you are saying.
Still debating though as 1. Might have a coronary paying for CRT and akershus OOP 2. Might do 1900 park fare for dinner bumping costs up 3. Hate having to think about what we r spending on snacks etc ....

Where can one don the info on good qs places and snack credits (someone mentioned good snack credit vs water or Mickey bar)

Also does wdw let you bring in water and snacks into the parks?
Here it is. LOVED it for both our trips!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2853528

tiggspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2013 View Post
Thanks everyone!

We planned on going for only 5 nights.
I hear what you are saying.
Still debating though as 1. Might have a coronary paying for CRT and akershus OOP 2. Might do 1900 park fare for dinner bumping costs up 3. Hate having to think about what we r spending on snacks etc ....
Where can one don the info on good qs places and snack credits (someone mentioned good snack credit vs water or Mickey bar)

Also does wdw let you bring in water and snacks into the parks?
You know what's interesting about that is that I spent way more time "
thinking" about what I ordered when I was on the ddp. It was like I had to get the "most" expensive thing on the menu because I wanted to maximize my credits. I remember one time we went in August and it was blistering hot and all I really wanted was a light chicken ceasar salad yet I ended up forcing myself to stuff down pork chops 'cause God forbid I didn't use my credits fully.

Same thing with appertizers, whether we wanted them or not we forced ourselves to get them.

then at the end of the trip, Me and about 4 other moms were furiously running around the BC market place trying to use up all the leftover snack credits. Couldn't get on the plane without every credit spent.

I am way less food conscious now that I eat they way I feel.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #18
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
The DIS host site, wdwinfo.com, provides easily-accessible, frequently updated mines with pricing: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/disneydining.cfm
This link is near the top of every page, at least on the Trip Planning boards. No need to send anyone to another site .
The issue I have with wdwinfo.com for menus (I LOVE other aspects of the site) is that for buffets, they post the full range $36-$59 from the Walt Disney website. When trying to come up with a cost comparison, this isn't as accurate as other options. I'd rather have a couple dollar margin of error, rather than 10 or 20.

As for the OP, from my calculations, you'd be pretty close to breaking even with the dining plan, so you could do it for convenience sake. You could pay out of pocket for Be Our Guest, and use my calculations exactly.
Personally, I found the dining plan more stressful, because I wanted to get my "money's worth." Sometimes this is easy - ice cream cookie sandwich! Other times it's hard - I'm thirsty, but sick of the Florida tap water, so I want bottled water.
My brilliant plan of saving my Counter Service desserts for breakfast the next morning didn't work either. The famous zebra domes are too rich a breakfast for me and I eat cupcakes for breakfast on a regular basis!
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #19
denise5374
Dares to say CRUISE out loud
Don't go back to lurking

If you are a spreadsheet kind of person, there is a great one posted over on the Dining board by DISuser Cafeen, which allows you to plug in numbers and it will give you the numbers on different option, DDP, DxDDP, OOP, etc.

Here's the thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ghlight=cafeen

denise5374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #20
kpadalik
DIS Veteran

If I were you, instead of getting the DDP, I would put the cost of the DDP onto a Disney gift card or a VISA gift card. Use that gift card for all of your food, snacks, and drinks. If you have any $$ left over, you can use it for extra souvenirs or (if it is a VISA) anything, really. This way, you don't feel tied down to the DDP and you won't worry about using all of your credits. I've heard of people doing this and a lot of people actually have quite a bit of money left over.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #21
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceintherain

We need a little more information. How many nights is your trip?

As of now, you have 6 credits worth booked, so you'll need a 6 night trip to even make the dining plan close to worthwhile.
The dining plan is going to cost your family $128.37/night.
We have no pricing information on Be Our Guest, but I imagine you'll do fine there, since it's a dinner. I'll leave it out of the calculations though, so we're dealing with 5 credits instead of 6.
Akershus = $105.41
CRT = $137.61
Chef Mickey's = $78.79
Mama Melrose (F! Package) = $77.97
Total =$399.78/5=$74.96 (average)

That leaves you with $48.41 to cover with your Quick Service meal and snack every day. Even Wolfgang Puck Express (the most expensive quick service on the property) maxes out at around $20/adult and $7/child (and that's for meaty dishes) so unless you're planning on eating your quick service in Downtown Disney EVERY day, the Dining Plan would not be a good deal for you. EDIT: You may "break even" but I doubt it will save you any money.

Pricing information from allears.net. Buffet and Dining Plan pricing are seasonal, so the values may vary slightly.
That's how we often figure out if it works for us, but in your example above, you only gave 4 reservations and divided by 5. In fact, none of the meals listed are lower than your total, unless I am missing something? If you divide by 4, the per meal cost for these 4 dinners would average about $100, using your numbers.Those per meal prices are probably very helpful to OP to figure out if it's worth it.

Edited to add - CRT is 2 credits so it would be divided by 5

Good luck with your decision OP.

Last edited by 333disneymom; 09-04-2012 at 08:04 PM.
333disneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #22
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpadalik View Post
If I were you, instead of getting the DDP, I would put the cost of the DDP onto a Disney gift card or a VISA gift card. Use that gift card for all of your food, snacks, and drinks. If you have any $$ left over, you can use it for extra souvenirs or (if it is a VISA) anything, really. This way, you don't feel tied down to the DDP and you won't worry about using all of your credits. I've heard of people doing this and a lot of people actually have quite a bit of money left over.
Yep
DisneyMomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #23
tamarabannon
Mouseketeer

I've tried to use the cafeen post but I'm afraid my brain is addled and I can't figure it out!

We're going for 9 nights. When we do table service, it's usually a)Character and b) buffet.

I have 2 kids, aged 7 and 9. My 9 year old often wants the adult sized portion for quick service, which is fine, as myself of my husband will eat the kids meal.

If we were paying OOP, we would NOT order dessert at every meal.

We tend to buy one or 2 mugs per visit, unless they're included. We've only ever done free DDP. I like the convenience. We do use our snack credits, but might not buy as many if we were doing OOP.

We'd like to do Cinderella's table and hoop deedoo review this time.

I just can't figure out how to tell what's best?? also my son is autistic, so we eat at different times, and have had to replace the kid meal offered with basic chicken nuggets and fries etc a few times. (O'hana and the restaurant in land and sea at Epcot). zWe would not do huge meals every time unless we had the free dining.

how could I tell what was better for me??
tamarabannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #24
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333disneymom View Post
That's how we often figure out if it works for us, but in your example above, you only gave 4 reservations and divided by 5. In fact, none of the meals listed are lower than your total, unless I am missing something? If you divide by 4, the per meal cost for these 4 dinners would average about $100, using your numbers.Tthose per meal prices are probably very helpful to OP to figure out if it's worth it.

Good luck with your decision OP.
CRT is a 2 credit meal, which is why I divided by 5 credits, so the "per credit" cost would be around $75 for all three of them. That's where the big "loss" comes in, because it brings their per credit value for that one meal down to $68.81, which is less than half of what they'd be paying for the dining plan for one night. If they did better with their other meals, they could make up for it, but the only one that is a big "gainer" is Akershus, all the rest are right around $75.

If they chose to pay out of pocket for CRT (their worse per credit value) they would have 2 extra TS credits. One they could use for Be Our Guest, and let's put in Chefs de France's prix fixe menu price just for comparison - $39.99 per adult plus $9 for the child, so $88.98. If they then added 1900 Park Fare (as they suggest they might) for dinner (the more expensive meal) their per credit value for that meal would be $95.82 which would even the playing field slightly, bringing their average per credit total to $89.40, which would leave $38.97 leftover for counter service. Definitely a better prospect, but not by much.
I suppose I'm not taking into consideration the included mugs, so if they're big coffee/soda drinkers, then that would help. Personally, I think the mugs are a joke on the dining plan, because when on the dining plan your drinks are already included, but I'm not a big soda/coffee drinker.

To the OP - These new calculations do suggest that you might be able to save a little bit of money on the dining plan, but you would have to add another table service meal, and pay out of pocket for CRT. It's also hanging a good deal on the eventual cost for a meal at Be Our Guest. It could be much less than what I'm suggesting, and we probably won't know until November. Alternatively, the vegetarian options on the Chefs de France menu around only around $19, so with drink and dessert, you may barely scratch $30/adult with $9 for your child, which would bring it in under my original per credit average and not a good deal for a dining credit.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #25
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceintherain

CRT is a 2 credit meal, which is why I divided by 5 credits, so the "per credit" cost would be around $75 for all three of them. That's where the big "loss" comes in, because it brings their per credit value for that one meal down to $68.81, which is less than half of what they'd be paying for the dining plan for one night. If they did better with their other meals, they could make up for it, but the only one that is a big "gainer" is Akershus, all the rest are right around $75.

If they chose to pay out of pocket for CRT (their worse per credit value) they would have 2 extra TS credits. One they could use for Be Our Guest, and let's put in Chefs de France's prix fixe menu price just for comparison - $39.99 per adult plus $9 for the child, so $88.98. If they then added 1900 Park Fare (as they suggest they might) for dinner (the more expensive meal) their per credit value for that meal would be $95.82 which would even the playing field slightly, bringing their average per credit total to $89.40, which would leave $38.97 leftover for counter service. Definitely a better prospect, but not by much.
I suppose I'm not taking into consideration the included mugs, so if they're big coffee/soda drinkers, then that would help. Personally, I think the mugs are a joke on the dining plan, because when on the dining plan your drinks are already included, but I'm not a big soda/coffee drinker.

To the OP - These new calculations do suggest that you might be able to save a little bit of money on the dining plan, but you would have to add another table service meal, and pay out of pocket for CRT. It's also hanging a good deal on the eventual cost for a meal at Be Our Guest. It could be much less than what I'm suggesting, and we probably won't know until November. Alternatively, the vegetarian options on the Chefs de France menu around only around $19, so with drink and dessert, you may barely scratch $30/adult with $9 for your child, which would bring it in under my original per credit average and not a good deal for a dining credit.
Right. I was thinking CP, not CRT. With CRT as a meal choice, you are absolutely right. This is why I think it's so important to run numbers. Once upon a time, if you had children under 10, you could probably come out on the plus side. Nowadays, you're lucky to save a few dollars, but with all the desserts included, which many don't normally eat at every CS and TS, it is often better to skip the DDP and order like you normally would eat. This is exactly why I haven't bought the DDP for our December trip. I'm thinking of trying TIW this time instead.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #26
newbie2013
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone - I will. Heck out the spreadsheet and see if I can figure it out! But will have to wait until thurs - carpool and dentist await me tomorrow!
I will also call wdw to find out the real buffet costs ....

I will keep u posted!
newbie2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: