Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Bellamouse
DIS Veteran

Quick Dining Report - No pics

Well I had intended on doing a real dining report after reading SO MANY of yours before I left - it looked like so much fun! But WOW - it's a lot of WORK! So needless to say, I didn't take any pictures and hopefully I can remember what we had! But here's a summaray at least. We were there Oct 15th to the 22nd.

Saturday night we went to 'Ohana. It was our first meal on Disney property and a tradition for us. We got a fabulous table next to the window overlooking the castle. First time we ever got such good seats, so I was thrilled. :-) Food was the same as always. Good, fresh, and it came very fast. The meat was only ok, and I prefer the old, cold peel and eat shrimp to the new grilled/skewered ones. But overall it was very good. We are thinking we won't do this though next trip. It's a little old/tired.

Sunday we were at Typhoon Lagoon all day. Had a pulled pork sandwich. It was good, but nothing amazing.

Sunday night we went to Cape May for dinner, and this was the STAR of the week!! We LOVED it! Everything was so fresh and delicious! I'm not a huge crab leg lover, but one person in our party is, so we went there for that reason. But I found plenty of great things to eat besides crab legs. The clam chowder was delicious - it had a nice hint of sherry to it that is often missing in restaurant clam chowder, and it wasn't too thick and it was full of clams. The salads were fabulous too - very, very fresh and they were constantly being replenished - nothing just "sitting for hours" on the buffet getting old or wilted. That night they had breaded cod pieces - oh man those were amazing. Think fish sticks, but deluxe! Big chunks of fresh cod (no formed, pressed fish here) perfectly breaded and fried. The fish was thick, moist and flaky inside, and the breading was crunchy and not greasy. Big hit. We also ate crab legs and they were delicious. Most of them were very meaty and dipped in the butter they were sweet and delicious. We watched the lady behind the buffet just steam one pan of crab legs after another. She never stopped in between. Just pan after pan after pan. So the crab legs were always fresh right out of the steamer. Nothing cold that had been sitting for awhile. The desserts were kind of boring (although DH liked the mini key lime tarts), but we didn't really care. We enjoyed the meal so much.

Monday we went to the Food and Wine Festival and just grazed all day. Some of my favorites were the Fisherman's Pie, the Griddled Greek Cheese, the cheese fondue and everything at the Scandinavian Booth. Also the crispy shrimp taco at the Mexico booth. REALLY good.

For dinner we had ADR's for Via Napoli. I just HAD to go there after reading so much about it. I ordered a blood orange Agua Fresca which was only ok. I think i was expecting something amazing, and while it was good, there was nothing amazing about it. Then DH and I split an order of calamari (basic, nothing special) and a Pizza Margherite (sp?). It was good too, but also nothing special. Then we ordered Zeppole for dessert, and that's when we got the "fireworks" we were expecting! I fell in LOVE with the Zeppole! Soft, puffy, perfectly fried balls of ricotta dough, sprinkled with powdered sugar and dipped in chocolate. WOW. And they serve LaVazza coffee there (read: real coffee!). I was swooning. We will go back just for those.

Tuesday we went to MK in the morning. We ate lunch at Columbia Harbor House and had Clam Chowder (really good) and Lobster Rolls (fantastic!!). Totally lived up to the hype for us. Before we left the park I had my first Dole Whip Float - oh wow, that was a huge hit too. Don't know how I missed these in years past, but I will never miss them again, that's for sure.

Tuesday afternoon we went to DHS and made a stop at Starring Rolls. I had a piece of grapefruit cake (yes, they went and got me a piece! They charged me $7.50 for it though ). DELISH. Love that stuff. DH got the peanut butter chocolate cupcake and said that was really good.

For dinner that night we went to Raglan Road House. Another winner for us. DH had the Stone Levitation beer and liked it. He ordered shepherd's pie and I ordered Beefy Murray. It was like a curried beef stew in a pastry shell of some sort. DELISH. We traded plates half way through so we got to eat half of each dish. I liked them both equally and would order either again. We were too full for dessert but LOVED the Irish music and dancing! The whole atmosphere there was wonderful and I would absolutely go back there again.

Wednesday we went to Universal Studios and ate lunch at the Three Broomsticks. WOW! We had really, really low expectations - we were hungry and just wanted to say we ate there, so we didn't much care if the food wasn't too good, but what a wonderful surprise to get such great food! We ordered fish and chips and (surprise, surprise) shepherd's pie! :D The fish and chips were really, really good. Better than the ones in Epcot, in our opinion. We also ordered frozen butter beer - that was good, but I couldn't drink much of it. Way too sweet. Tasted like vanilla ice cream really. All in all, I would go back to the Three Broomsticks in a minute. I also loved how they got you in and out of there quickly despite the long lines. They have a great system and the whole themeing of the restaurant is fabulous too. I just loved this place.

Wednesday night we had ADR's at Sanaa at AKL. It was dark by the time we got there, so we couldn't see any animals (bummer). We love Indian food and we love Boma, so we had big expectations. The food was only OK. I probably wouldn't go back. I can't remember what DH ordered, but I got the Spinach with Paneer Cheese and the chickpeas, potatoes and peas. I didn't much care for either. They put mint in the Spinach dish (not traditional when I order that dish in an Indian restuarant here at home) and I HATE mint. I ate it anyway, but I didn't really enjoy it. I couldn't eat the chickpea dish at all because it was ridiculously spicy. I like spicy, but this was off the charts. The one bite I took, my lips burned for a long, long time. So that went uneaten. We did have the appetizer plate with the samosas and roasted cauliflower. I enjoyed that a lot. Cauliflower was terrific - I think I ate most of that myself. The naan bread was also really good, but I never had bad naan anywhere, so that's probably not hard to get right. Overall, I would rather eat at Boma before I would go back to Sanaa. The waitress however was lovely, and it was our anniversary, so several African ladies (the hostess and some others) came to our table with drums and other instruments and sang happy anniversary to us. They also made a card that they all signed. I loved that! Oh, and I was FREEZING (the weather was so cold) and one of the hostesses noticed and offered to bring me a towel to wrap around myself. I accepted and sat at the table wrapped in a bath towel :D But I was a lot happier. It was very thoughtful that she noticed and went and did something about it.

Thursday we went to AK, and didn't really eat much there. I had a cherry turnover from some coffee stand early in the morning (it was good), and then I got an egg roll from the Yak and Yeti CS. It was so hot I burned my tongue but it too was good. Before we left there (way too crowded - we had to get out!) I got a jalapeno cheese stuffed pretzel. That was good too, but nothing amazing.

We went back over to Epcot and just grazed around the world again for the rest of the night. I got caramel corn from the Karamell Kueche and and also a big hunk of cheesecake from the Germany CS. Among a whole bunch of other good stuff :D.

Friday we went back to the MK for another Lobster Roll, clam chowder and Dole Whip But it was also packed there, so we left at lunch and went back to Epcot. I was so full from the Dole Whip though I couldn't hardly eat anything all afternoon, so we mostly just walked.

For dinner, we bit the bullet and tried the Spirit of Aloha Dinner show. WOW!!!! We were so pleasantly surprised!!!! The food on it's own wasn't amazing, but the experience as a whole was really, really GREAT! I had read such mixed reviews about this that I was a little worried. We went early to get our picture taken (fully thinking about how silly and we would never buy the print anyway so why bother), and then we got seated after about a half hour wait. The salad and appetizers were already on the table when we were seated, so we got to start eating right away. Wonderful salad, fresh pineapple and pineapple coconut bread (same as at 'Ohana) were on a big tray. It's all you can eat family-style, so we asked for more salad, pineapple and bread. It was all delicious. Then for the entree they brought out ribs, chicken, rice and vegetables. The ribs were ok (I make really good ribs that are hard to beat ), the chicken was good, nothing special, but good, and the veggies were terrific. Crisp and with some kind of very light, delicious sauce. I didn't bother with the rice. Then the dessert came out - they made a big production out of that. All the servers came out with trays that had big smoking volcanoes on them. That was fun. Dessert was chocolate mousse with raspberry sauce. Good, but kind of ho-hum. During dinner someone came around with the photos we had taken while standing in line. I opened the folder with our picture in it, and it was so cute!!! I just had to buy it, even though it was $32!!! I was having so much fun, the music and dancing were wonderful, the food was good, everyone at my table was smiling and enjoying themselves so much, I got caught up in the magic and bought the picture. Just what I said I would never do. LOL. But I'm so glad I did. I have such a great memory of that evening, and I'm glad to have the picture to remind me.

That wraps up our eating adventure - sorry for the big run on paragraphs. I have no time to go through and clean it all up - I just typed as I thought of it. But I have to get back to work. I wanted to get it down though while it was fresh in my memory. We had a great time despite the cold weather and really, the highlights for me were trying all the new places to eat. Typically we do the same stuff over and over, but thanks to all the fantastic reviews I've read here, we decided on some new places and were SO happy we did!! Can't wait for our trip next year and we will definitely be trying some more new places (and going back to Cape May for sure ).
Bellamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
hrslvr142
Mouseketeer

Great, quick reviews...easy to read, nicely described. We might have to try Cape May, were going to try Sanaa and changed our minds..think that was a good choice based on your review. Glad you had a good time and have a memorable photo
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
Bellamouse
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the kind words, and I am still reminiscing about our great trip. :-) I'm glad I wrote all that down because I know in a year or two I won't remember all those details. I just wish I would have taken pictures of everything.....

I have a new found respect for all the people who write proper dining reviews, photos and all!! It's SO much harder than it looks!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
debidigidelights

Wow thanks for the reviews. Hubby and I went to Cape May 10 years ago for our 25th Anniversary. glad to hear it is still good. Have ADR for our first night in Disney in Feb. Hubby will be glad, he hasn't stopped talking about it in 10 years.

Going to the Aloha this time also, so loved your review. I was getting worried if I had made the right chose there, but will give it a try after reading your comments.

Still looking for reviews from Japan. but daughter swears by it, so it is on the list also.
debidigidelights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Hi
Great reviews!! Thanks for taking your time to share.
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept., 2015 AS Sports Aug.
disnut1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
rznhal
DIS Veteran

Welcome back! So glad your trip was wonderful!

My only regret last trip was being too full to try the grapefruit cake at HBD! Did starring rolls have the cake or did they go to HBD and get it for you?

Thanks for the reviews!!

me, DH, DD6, DS2
1988-Grand Floridian, 1993-offsite, 1994-offsite
2002-DTD and Disney Cruise Honeymoon
2005-offsite, 2009-POP, 2011-CSR
2012-Adults only Graduation Trip-AKL
2013-AKL again!
rznhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
Bellamouse
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone! But it's so funny how this thread got bumped up - this is our trip from last year (2011). We got back from our most recent trip 3 weeks ago..... here is a link to the report for that trip:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3006364
Old 10-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
Bellamouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rznhal View Post
Did starring rolls have the cake or did they go to HBD and get it for you?

They went over to HBD to get it. Wouldn't have known that was possible until I read this board!
Old 10-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
rznhal
DIS Veteran

how awesome is that! I will SO be trying that next trip!

me, DH, DD6, DS2
1988-Grand Floridian, 1993-offsite, 1994-offsite
2002-DTD and Disney Cruise Honeymoon
2005-offsite, 2009-POP, 2011-CSR
2012-Adults only Graduation Trip-AKL
2013-AKL again!
rznhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Hi
Great reviews!! Thanks for sharing!!
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept., 2015 AS Sports Aug.
disnut1149 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: