Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #91
mrodgers
DIS Veteran

Just found this thread. I suffered all last year of which the local sports channel dumbed down the video quality even worse with the SD channel, and also put it widescreen format for the SD feed. I could barely watch it the quality was so terrible and the fact that they turned my already small 27inch TV even smaller.

Now I sit here staring at my new blank 50" Panasonic Plasma with my HD equipment coming on Saturday. Blank because there is no hockey to watch! I want my hockey now in HD!
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #92
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniecarousel View Post
I'm so sad that we won't see a new Winter Classic. I sure hope the whole season doesn't get cencelled. Winter is bad enough, but without hockey - yuck! (Baseball just finished here in the Bay Area.) I'm just not crazy about football & basketball. Hockey & baseball are my sports.
At least you have great memories of baseball this year! Another Pirate collapse here in Pittsburgh!
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #93
BDL
DIS Veteran

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving weekend. For all the Canadian readers, I hope you had a good Thursday - Sunday. In either case, 3 noteworthy occurences took place over the last 4 days. First, The league cancelled all games til Dec. 14th. Second, the league had cancelled the All-Star game in January. And finally, today, the U.S. government had assigned federal mediators to try to resolve the lock out. Personally, I've written off the 12-13 season. I wish I could be optimistic, but I just don't see it.

On a personal note, over this holiday weekend, I kept seeing the effects of the lock out. We have season tickets and, as a season ticket holder perk, we got to go into the the Bruins' locker room and lounge, and then get our pics taken with the championship banner. When we parked the car, I said to my fiance', "I know Boston is missing out on the taxes generated for these games, but I wonder how much money they lose in parking tickets per game?" Then were walking to the Garden, and even though it was the morning, the bars and restaurants would have been open for the traditional Thanksgiving weekend games and events. Those poor guys must be feeling the pinch. After the event, we went to Faneuil Hall for lunch, and my fiance' was talking to a couple from New York. They had based this trip on coming to Boston to see the Black Friday game of B's vs Rangers. And I thought, what happened to all the people that bought tickets from re-sellers and how many hotel rooms are cancelled by people that wanted to follow their team to another city.

Though I miss the NHL, and feel sorry that I haven't been able to see any games this year, I really feel sorry for those people.

BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #94
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99

I'm hoping the federal mediator can help. The Pens put out an ad on Facebook for Black Friday sales on merchandise, boy did the fans give them a piece of their minds! Why buy merchandise when there's no game to wear it to! I do feel bad for the local business owners. Everyone is losing out. I can't understand why they can't settle it.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #95
jnoble82
Mouseketeer

The one perk I'm enjoying is my local AHL team (Syracuse Crunch) has a few players that would be playing for Tampa Bay if the NHL was playing. Love watching them play. That being said, I will be sad if the whole season is lost! The NFL and NBA can figure it out. Why not hockey? No wonder its not getting a huge mention on sportscenter (seriously, every other hour was about the NFL lockout and the NBC lockout).
Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #96
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Is anyone from the NJ/PA area? I was lucky enough to attend Operation Hat Trick this past weekend down in Atlantic City. Team Richards vs Team Hartnell. I can't believe I got to see Brodeur in Flyer's colors. Anyway, it was a great night. Players there not for a paycheck but just to play the game they love for a good cause. The crowd was united in 'we want hockey' and 'bettman sucks' chants (and 'crosby sucks' Sorry Pens fans, this was a Rangers & Flyers crowd). I was happy to see a little bit of hockey but it makes me miss the game so much more. The lockout needs to end!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #97
MM27
DIS Veteran

I live in NJ, but I was away for Thanksgiving in NH. I did get to catch an AHL game though. Wish there was a closer team because I would totally support them. ECHL team is a little too far for me out in Trenton.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #98
BDL
DIS Veteran

Local sports reporter, Steve Burton, has been penning some optimistic news lately. I'm still not going all-in. But, to help put a smile on your face, you can always get 1 of these lock out shirts from Sully's...

http://www.sullysbrand.com/unisex-tees

(I tried hyper linking the shirt itself, but the way the site came up it looked like a naughty word and was promptly replaced with *** . Sorry)

BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #99
SharonZ
DIS Veteran

I think it's a positive move to have some new faces at the negotiating table. Apparently, three owners - Jeremy Jacobs (no offense BDL), Murray Edwards and Ted Leonsis are really hardcore and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the majority of the owners. And, this humorous little tidbit from Ovie - "there is no progress with the lockout." Let's hope that we get an early holiday gift, a partial NHL season!
SharonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #100
BDLSGAL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonZ
I think it's a positive move to have some new faces at the negotiating table. Apparently, three owners - Jeremy Jacobs (no offense BDL), Murray Edwards and Ted Leonsis are really hardcore and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the majority of the owners. And, this humorous little tidbit from Ovie - "there is no progress with the lockout." Let's hope that we get an early holiday gift, a partial NHL season!
No need for apologies to BDL...when the B's won the cup, the only time you heard boos at any of the events was when a member of the Jacobs family opened their mouths.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #101
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious

DISboards Moderator

Rumor has it that the strike has ended. 56 games in the works.

Not confirmed, but I heard this leak.?????
Old 12-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #102
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommasita
Rumor has it that the strike has ended. 56 games in the works.

Not confirmed, but I heard this leak.?????
I have my news radio channel on and I heard that number tossed around as well. Not confirmed but the season would start around the 27th of December. As much as I disagree with the lockout, I am SO ready to have hockey back. As my siggie says, GO JETS GO!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #103
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99

I hope so. If they can't resolve it now, may as well just dissolve the league, why keep going round and round. Enough already, drop the puck!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #104
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB
I hope so. If they can't resolve it now, may as well just dissolve the league, why keep going round and round.
Bite your tongue!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #105
1novascotian
Mouseketeer

I have tsn on, checking my twitter feed, checking the main canadian sports websites, and I haven't seen a hint of the lockout ending rumour other than here on the dis.

February 1998- First Trip to Disney!
May/June 2008
May 2011- Offsite- Windsor Hills
1novascotian is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: