Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #46
timmac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
I asked because it comes up on many threads when discussing cutting expenses down to the bare bones. I'm always surprised by the number of people that respond with the statement that they can't cut internet because their work requires it. I was curious how many places really make it mandatory as opposed to situations where it is a huge convenience factor but not actually mandatory.
There's a blurry line to be drawn there, though. "Huge convenience factor" may indirectly be tied to money. Or, often it more directly equates to time... which as we know, thus implies money.

I also wanted to echo the thoughts that the comparison to land lines of old was a good one. Having internet access available at home is nearly ubiquitous these days, and an unwritten expectation in a lot of cases.
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #47
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

I don't understand the statement "I have internet at home because work requires it." Does that mean if yoour work didn't require it, you wouldn't?!?

My work assumes I have Internet access at home.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #48
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
I don't understand the statement "I have internet at home because work requires it." Does that mean if yoour work didn't require it, you wouldn't?!?

10 years ago my work required I have internet at home and they reimbursed me $75/month for it.
(I'm sure at the time most people said they wouldn't HAVE it unless the company paid for it.)

NOW, they assume I have internet at home and there is no longer a reimbursement.

Of course now they provide me with an iPhone with hotspot so that would give me internet access anyway.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #49
CandyMandy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
Wow, I'm always amazed at what lengths people will go to in order to slam someone else.
Really? I just posed a question; if you want to see "slamming", then you should definitely check out the thread below, where the poster you are defending engages in shall we say some "not-particularly-elegant-repartee" with people who were trying to help her.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2985527

Last edited by CandyMandy; 09-07-2012 at 11:57 AM.
CandyMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #50
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

For all practical purposes, yes, my DH is REQUIRED to have internet access at home for his job. He is an IT guy, and works from home. It would be impossible to do his job at home without it. Even if he did work in the office rather than at home, he still must have it here because he frequently (several times a week) has to run reports in the middle of the night or provide tech support both by phone and onine to clients who happen to be in very different time zones (ranging from Europe, US West Coast, India, Australia, and Japan). Luckily they have him set up with a phone system that hooks into the internet for all those hours long international phone calls, but he has to provide his own internet access. Since he must have it, we deduct it as one of his business expenses.

And as far as my job goes: absolutely not. At work we use the internet to file our reports, but our 'internet' only opens one website for our company data reporting and the laptop we use has nothing but the web browser on it. The rest of it is totally locked down. And we are absolutely forbidden from accessing that website from home.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #51
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

my job doesn't require me to have internet access at home; however, sometimes, i do need to check up on things at the office, and having internet access allows me to connect to my office computer and do anything i need to do.

however, even without a job, i would still have internet service.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #52
ILoveToRun
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
Oh, I would disagree; it is standard in many, many professions and occupations that you own the tools of your trade.

My father was a cabinetmaker. Dad had to provide all of his own hand tools; they were his most valuable possessions. When he worked as a journeyman for someone else the shop provided the large power tools that stayed in the shop, but the stuff that traveled with Dad belonged to him, and I don't know of any carpenter who does not own (and cherish) his or her own hand tools. You get used to the feel of certain tools and you do better work with a tool that feels like an extension of your hand. Trade schools in my area list the cost of personal tools as part of the cost of the education that they offer for carpenters, mechanics, electricians and plumbers.

Could my DH wear suits from Wal-Mart? I suppose so, but he definitely cannot appear in court in jeans and sneakers; judges have been known to cite attorneys for Contempt if they show up improperly dressed (which for men is interpreted as any attire other than a business suit.) No firm is going to give him a clothing allowance for suits to wear in court.

When I volunteer at a local hospital (not paid but it's still a job) I have to wear a certain type of clothing and type of shoe that I didn't own. It had to be a combination of professional, practical, not flashy and safe to wear in a lab (research hospital). This meant a lot a clothing that covered a lot, were of boring colors, and no heels or dresses/skirts.

I, as a college student, didn't have hardly anything to wear so I had to buy the appropriate clothing. Even if I went to the cheapest places to find those things I would probably have spent at least $100. While I could wear one outfit over and over, I still needed impress because these people can potentially have a huge influence on my future academic and career opportunities. So while I too, could just go to Wal-Mart and Goodwill to get everything, it may not bode well in my favor in the future. Some people do pay a lot of attention to how people dress.

But I would have never expected them to pay for anything. At all. It's a great opportunity and like a lot of jobs, it's one of those things where if you don't like it, we have 100+ people waiting for your job so go away.
ILoveToRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #53
crazyme5kids
DIS Veteran

I have no idea if it is required by the company my husband works for, but it is a necessity. We pay for a separate landline phone with internet for him to work from home. He probably could submit it for reimbursement, but we feel it is a fair exchange. It would cost far more than the $125.00 we pay a month for the internet/phone if he had to commute into the city everyday.

Plus, since he travels so much for his job we reap the added benefit of being able to spend time together instead of him being at the office, which is easily a twelve hour or more day.
crazyme5kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #54
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post

I am always surprised at the number of people in my circle of friends who don't have internet at home. These aren't elderly people, these are middle aged people who KNOW how to use the internet in their jobs, but chose to be internet free at home. I have had kids at home who really do need internet these days for school and afterschool activities, but those that don't have kids at home don't always feel the need to have internet access at home.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #55
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellrj View Post
I am always surprised at the number of people in my circle of friends who don't have internet at home. These aren't elderly people, these are middle aged people who KNOW how to use the internet in their jobs, but chose to be internet free at home. I have had kids at home who really do need internet these days for school and afterschool activities, but those that don't have kids at home don't always feel the need to have internet access at home.
Wow! I don't believe I know a single person who doesn't have internet at home. This includes people like my 82 y/o mom and MIL, multiple young people who are out on their own for the first time, and everyone in between.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #56
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellrj View Post
There's a few folks I know who don't have it because they are always wanting my wifi password. Sorry, not giving that out!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: