Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #16
consumermonkey
Mouseketeer

USUALLY for me, look at prices for a while, save about half, book, save the rest.

This time however, I was getting prices together with the intention of Autumn 2013, using the prices for Jan 13 as a guide as that was as far in advance as I could get at the time. When I could get the prices for Autumn 2013 and shared this info, was told point blank "I thought we were going in January" It is usually VERY difficult to get a straight decision out of my family, so within 48hrs of this revelation, the holiday was booked for Jan 2013, leaving me with the issue of originally having 18 months to save up being reduced to less than 9 months.

It has been difficult, but after 4 months of permanent night shifts (only 16 more to go) I have not only paid in full, but also will have all my spending's put to one side too, and still have time for a good Chrimbo.

Have had to keep myself going with the thoughts of not only going back far earlier than planned, but the holiday after that will be all the sooner too.

consumermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:10 AM   #17
catherine
Hey not fair, you guys already have a bunch of tags, and poor me I haven't got one
Cheer up. You've been tagged by the tag fairie

I have a savings account that I put a set amount of money in each month (sometimes I put more in but never less!) so it depends whether all the money is available before I book the trip or not. I never charge anything to a CC, so if we don't have all the money available before I book the trip I at least have to know that it will be available well in advance of when we need to pay.

"In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity." Albert Einstein

catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #18
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Booking DIY we always have the money for the flights up front as they have to paid for in full at booking. I have looked at fly drives but they are always way too expensive and I can not justify paying the extra just so I don't have to pay in full.

Accommodation is never paid off till the due date if not staying DVC. Everything else is booked and paid for as and when. We have a set savings amount each month that it all comes out of.

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:19 AM   #19
fizz13
Dreams about being stuck on Space Mountain

when I started booking trips it used to be the credit card lifestyle, then as I got older it was money saved for flights, hotel deposits then book and pay the rest over the months before. this time because I am fed up with last minute scramble to pull spending money together, I will be saving the whole lot before I book anything, so just for once I can relax and I will carry on putting money away to the day we go so not once will I have to say we're on a budget when we're there lol
fizz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:46 AM   #20
OhanaSam
Mouseketeer

We originally planned to save up all of the money and book a month or two in advance and stay in one of the Disney value resorts but when the free DDP offer with the $200 gift card came on we decided to pay the deposit. I think putting the deposit down has made us much more careful of our spending as we know we have to have the money saved or we can't go. Already got about £2000 saved only 3 more to go lol

Me(23) DBF(23)
OhanaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:33 AM   #21
scojos
I want to be Tinkerbell and fly on the wire to start wishes
Thinks Disney studies should be taught in all schools

i too book, pay the deposit (generally a couple of hundred) and then save, i find it easier to justify beans on toast and not take away or dinner out when i know that money will directly pay for lunch with mickey
the kids also understand that cash isnt handed out willy nilly when the know the holiday is booked, esp my eldest who has helped me choose the ddp TS choices, he worked out that CM costs about £200.... hrm he says, thats alot for dinner!! he knows we get the free ddp and its not "real money" iyswim, but he also is starting to get the implications, as opposed to the 2 smaller ones who think money grows on trees!!!
2010 - 2 weeks SSR free DDP 1 week creekside villa
2013- 2 weeks okw free ddp[/SIZE]
me dh ds1 ds2dd
scojos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #22
ChipnDaleRule
DIS Veteran

Last time we had the £700 deposit already saved, paid the balance of the holiday on our Virgin Amex(getting more airmiles) then transferred the balance onto a 18 month interest free CC.I pay the minimum amount off each month, putting the remainder of the money into an ISA,then on the 18 month i will pay off the balance with whats in the ISA.Ive done this a few times now,gaining some nice interest which would offset the CC charge,but not as attractive now I'm afraid.I still do it though for the big lump of air miles though.
By the time all is paid off, it gives me just enough time to save for the next deposit,then i start the whole process again
Old 09-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #23
DisFanJen
Disney Phreak

We always save for the big 3 first (Flights, car hire, car parking) then save up the rest after we're booked.

But it's a bit easier for us as we've got DVC and APs.

Follow my tweets for pre-trip and live trip reports as well as the usual inane Twitter chatter at: http://twitter.com/disneyfanjen

5/98 - DL(Off Site), 5/03 - WDW(Off Site), 2/04 - WDW(Off Site), 9/04 - WDW(Off Site), 12/05 - WDW(Off Site), 10/06 - WDW(AKL), 5/07 - WDW(SSR), 9/07 - WDW(SSR), 12/07 - WDW(SSR), 2/08 - WDW(Poly & GF), 12/08 - WDW(OKW, Wonder), 3/10 - WDW(AKL), 2/11 - WDW(OKW), 12/11 - WDW(SSR, OKW, Dream), 9/12 - WDW (OKW, Dream), 1/14 WDW (OKW, Fantasy), 11,14 (OKW, Dream)
DisFanJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #24
kevin_cambs_uk
Mouseketeer

well thanks for all your replies people !

I have worked out what to do, as I can't save all of it before hand as that would drive me insane, but as its only me and the wife next time, I am going to save for the flights once I have that in the bank then book the airline.

Once done the deposit for the resort and save like mad.

At least getting the flight money is easier and quicker and then at least you know you are going, and then its all save, save save for the next bit.

Contemporary here we come I hope!!!!!!!!!
2002 Ho Jo Maingate West
2003 Carribbean Beach
2004 Forgot where we stayed !
2008 Pop Century
2012 Disneyland Paris for the day !
kevin_cambs_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #25
stoneyloon
Mouseketeer

I pay the deposit (direct with Disney is pretty low) and then pay off the balance when it's due. I don't see the point in paying any earlier than necessary.....

• 2014 - Elvis Wedding in Vegas and Disneyland California for a change.
  • 2012 - Disney's Wilderness Lodge
  • 2010 - Buena Vista Palace
  • 2008 - Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
  • 2005 - I Drive cheap'n'cheerful
  • 1989 - Kissimmee cheapest place we could find!
stoneyloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #26
ben1993
DIS Veteran

Deposit then put a set amount each payday into my savings account, then pay for why needs paying as and when.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #27
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

Book then pay as and when,

I don't have a credit card and no way would I wait to save the whole lot, then book, then wait even longer before leaving!

I always make sure we have over a year before we leave. It's not hard to work out a budget based on what you can afford every month/week,then you go with that cost, find a holiday in your budget and book.

I paid whatever I had left over every week/month, sometimes it was £50, sometimes it was £500. I've always paid up months before we leave, and in that time I save for spending money.

As long as you have travel insurance I don't see the point in saving first before booking and not having a date to look forward to, especially if you have to give up certain things for a while to save up.

Oct 2012 - 2 weeks Southern Dunes+1 night at the Hard Rock Hotel!
Oct 2009 - 2 weeks Pop Century
Jan 2000 - 2 weeks Ramada Inn International Drive
Oct/Nov 1995 - 5 weeks Lindfields Villa, Kissimmee
madmumof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #28
paulh
likes to have a beer
Guiness?

i give all my money to the DW, and then we book flights on 12 month Interest free CC(were in DVC so room ok),work hard and pay off. luckily no mortgage to worry about so that money for hols/car ext
Paul
been going since 1992 sayed offtite a few years then at ASMovies,ASmusic,ASsports,Pop,Caribiean beach.coranardo springs,port orleans,beach club,wildernes lodge,AK lodge,Vero beah,Hilton head island,Disneyland hotel ca,paradice pier ca and fav saratoga springs resort all in no particular order and how can i forget the disney 7 night cruise

"Fire. The Greatest Invention of Mankind. Beer. A Close Second."
paulh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #29
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

I put together a package, panic about the cost, tell my DH we can't do it because it's too expensive. Then he talks me off a ledge and I pay the $200 to book. Then what we do is each month we figure out how much money we have after paying all the bills and stuff and make payments toward it with the aim of being paid off well in advance of the trip so we can then start saving for spending money while we're there. All through the process, I panic a few more times about how we should't be spending so much and DH talks me off the ledge again.

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #30
CupcakeLisa
Mouseketeer

Normally book then save but next year we are hoping to do a last min deal so will save for 9 months then book a hopefully travel within a few weeks

Sept 2010 Maingate Lakeside
Oct 2012 OKW with free DDP

Upcoming Trip
Sept 2014 - two weeks Maingate Lakeside
March 2015 - two weeks Port Orleans French Quarter with free DDP
CupcakeLisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: