Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #586
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

I'm glad you had a nice day on your own around the resort. That sounds like fun.

The snow looks pretty, but not at all fun. Us Californians don't really know much about that stuff. Yeah, I was bummed out about the rain on Friday.
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #587
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Since you asked, here is what it looks like in my backyard-

We got somewhere around a foot- no power outages, streets are all paved. Very glad we do not live in Connecticut, MUCH worse up there! Here it's just pretty, pretty snow!

So beautiful!!!!
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #588
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:

What a breathtakingly beautiful picture, Ellen!!!

Loved the update.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #589
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I guess its probably just as well that I can't see your pictures right now as I am DYING for a vacation.

But you know I'll be back and I'm sure you had a fabulous time!
We did have fun- a January vacay to a warm place makes the winter sooooo much easier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToPrincePhillip View Post
Yay you're home! Thanks for the update. Your doing a great job on selling me on Hawaii...
HAHA- I think Hawaii sells itself, but thanks for the compliment! Definitely go, it is the most beautiful and friendly place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmr2 View Post
Glad you had a great time in Mexico! Can't wait for the mini TR for that trip!

Nice update, Can I just say again how much I love that spa? It is so pretty! That trail tour you did was nice, is it a sort of self guided with that gadget? Is it like a phone type thing?

Looking forward to the next update.
I'm sorry, I really should have explained the Menehune Trail better- it's like kim Possible- a scav hunt. Cool things happen when you do the right things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Yay !! for being home !!! Great little update !!! Loved the fishes in the tank!!! Sure hope the Snow Storm doesn't it you guys to hard
Thanks Rosie- we got about a foot, and more is expected this weekend. Nothing unmanageable, though. Just a little blip in the day for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
Is the fish tank to snorkel in? Cool idea if it is. Beautiful pictures of the spa area.

Hope the blizzard a bunch of hype, anyway stay safe & warm.
Yes, there is a fish tank to snorkel in! Very cool and safe- also guaranteed loads of pretty fish.

Quote:
Gorgeous pictures. I hope you don't get buckets of snow. I think we are going to dodge the bullet down here completely.
We didn't- we got just enough, it was fine. I am completely good with anything now as long as we don't lose power for a week +....the losing power thing REALLY sucks!
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #590
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRdisMom View Post
That is a ton of snow out there. I still have a patch of grass I can see in my yard in minnesnowta.
You said Minnesnowda....Yea- we have snow...but we don't have lutefisk!

Quote:
Hi Ellen how are you fairing with the storm ???
Good! I was very proactive and invited friends for a comfort dinner on Sat night- Nantucket Bay Scallops in Champagne Buerre Blanc, Red Leaf salad with grilled asparagus and marinated portobellos, and lamb shank with pappardelle and fontina. My friend Evie baked a luscious chocolate torte for dessert. Now it's back to South Beach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15isto2 View Post
Your backyard looks amazing
Thank you! I am always proud to show we live in NJ and our backyard is not an oil refinery- because I think that's the impression alot of the country has of NJ, and that is wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
What was that hand held thingy? Like a walking tour guide?

Omg ur snow I have to say it was so pretty to look at but I can imagine the inconveniences it brings.. And here I was complaining about the rain on Friday lol! (What us Californians don't know what that wet stuff is lol)
It's like Kim Possible- very, very well done. The snow was ok- the main thing we all worry about is schools being closed (because we all missed so much in the fall, now they would have to cut into Spring Break. ). They had early dismissal on Friday, so just need to reschedule a 5th/6th grade social- not too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth D View Post
I was wondering the same thing about the fish tank. There was a lifeguard back there? Is that for humans to snorkel in?

Glad Mexico was warm!
Yes, there's a lifeguard and people seemed to enjoy it- we did not do it because we were doing the real thing instead, and there was a charge for this.

Mexico was great. Such wonderful people down there, they took VERY good care of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15isto2 View Post
HAHAHA! My hubby has 2 brothers in Florida we didn't want to talk to, LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid-at-heart View Post
Welcome back Ellen! Love seeing your snow pictures. We only received about half of the predicted foot of snow, enough for a snow day. My BIG errand before the snow hit was to rush to the PO and overnight my amended birth certificate and original passport to the passport office so the passport can be amended before our cruise.

Long story shorten - my original birth certificate had the wrong date on it, not year but day. I did not discover this until twenty-two years after I was born and ordered a B.C. to register for a marriage license. Up until that time no one had ever asked me for a birth certificate so my driver's license, SS card, everything had the correct date. No biggie I thought .... until I tried to get a passport. I finally was able to get one but it had the date of the incorrect birth certificate. It took me over a year to convince the records office to correct my B.C. I even had an affidavit from my mother telling them when I was born. Anyway, this past Wednesday I received a corrected birth certificate, corrected at least regarding the date, other things still are incorrect on the B.C. but they are minor so I am not requesting corrections (such as: mother born in Georgia???? she was born in Florida, mother's maiden name wrong, my grandmother's maiden name was listed as my mother's maiden name. ) I think someone had a few too many drinks when they were filling out my B.C. My big fear was I would be out of country and not be able to get back in without major hassles since my I.D. documents did not match (i.e., passport, driver's license).

Thanks for keeping us entertained! It looks like you have several trips coming up in the next few months. Yea!!!

Stay warm!
OMG what a HUGE PITA!!!! So now is it taken care of for good, I assume? That really stinks, I am glad it is all behind you.

Yes, several trips- can't wait most of all for the cruise- I LOVE to cruise.

Quote:
You got off very easy!! We were definately hit harder , but all is weel now except for freezing cold temps Brrrrrr!!!
It was warm yesterday here- only needed a sweat jacket. But more snow is on the way- for you, too, maybe.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #591
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Wow! That is a lot of kids in community hall. You've got me curious about the Menehuene now, I'd assumed we wouldn't even look at it as it's an adult only trip but hmmnnn...

I wouldn't mind a snow day to be honest. We just have fog. Fog so think this morning it will be a very interesting soccer game!
Snow is great as long as we don't lose power or miss school!

You should definitely do the Menehune Trail- it does really cool things, I enjoyed it and wish I had done it all the way through! I also think you are like me, and as a Disney Geek would HAVE to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
You might want to try it at least one time, it does have multiple versions. One of ours started a waterfall in the pool and the kids swimming were so surprised.
Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I'm glad you had a nice day on your own around the resort. That sounds like fun.

The snow looks pretty, but not at all fun. Us Californians don't really know much about that stuff. Yeah, I was bummed out about the rain on Friday.
It IS fun, though- especially when you are a kid- makes little hills suddenly become a hot spot of sleds, inner tubes and snow boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
So beautiful!!!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
What a breathtakingly beautiful picture, Ellen!!!

Well, of course you like this one- it looks like one of yours!

Loved the update.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #592
podsnel

I apologize for not going into more detail on my last TR post- I just wanted to say that the "gadget" was for the Menehune Trail, which uses technology like Kim Possible, and takes you on a scavenger hunt around Aulani- really, really cool things happen, like the Hawaiian Islands popping up where you least expect them

and whether you are with your kids or not, this is a lot of fun! They make it so that you can return your device back to Community Hall mid way through the adventure, and with a code, come back at another time to finish up. I meant to do this, but unfortunately never went back (due to the fact that every vacation, even THIS one, has to come to an end at SOME point, and sad to say, my friends, that we are almost there.....).

SO! Pods and the boys came back from a nice round of 9 holes on the Ko Olina course, and we ordered room service for the boys while Pods and I went over for dinner next door at the lovely (and recommended) Azul. It was sunset time on the walk over, so I got a few pics, what a shock, I know....

Looking back-

It is a very quick walk over to the Marriott-

And inside to the restaurant-

I started with a cocktail that involved Gran Marnier, and I am always happy about that!

The ambiance-

Let me start by saying, we are food snobs. Sorry. But, pretty much everyone in the tri-state NY area is. We are surrounded by great food. ESPECIALLY Italian. Everyone here knows a family that makes a pot of gravy every Sunday and has a feast fit for a king each week. Italian-American style, Delicious. Everyone also has been to numerous Italian restaurants for food that may or may not be Italian-American. And many, many have taken the wonderful plunge and gone to Italy to get the real deal- ourselves included. Add on top of that, I LOVE to cook. And when I cook Italian, if my recipes have not been handed down through one of my friends' families for generations, it has come from my most treasured cookbook, Marcella Hazan's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking. The Best book ever! Marcella Hazan, if you have not heard of her, is the Julia Child of Italian food.

Marcella has made the bar too high for Azul to compete. So......

We shared Trio Bruschetta

Our artisan ciabatta bread, sliced & lightly charred, one slice topped w/ fresh diced tomatoes, garlic & basil, one w/ melted mozzarella cheese & anchovies & one w/ sauteed porcini mushrooms.

At $19, this was CRAZY overpriced- but, I will say, it was very good.

However....see those mushrooms? They are NOT at ALL Porcini- not fresh ones, for sure, but not even a couple of reconstituted dried ones added in to flavor the rest, which are either white button or cremini mushrooms. I mean, at LEAST they could have used shiitake. Sorry- food snob in me rearing my ugly head. I just don't like being mislead by a menu, and I don't like overpaying for lower quality ingredients. Pods ordered Insalata Mista

Spring local mix salad, shaved carrots, sliced tomatoes, in our homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing. It was $12.

It was fine, nothing extraordinary, but that's ok. Should have been $10, but whatever...

Next were the mains. I had Fettuccine Gamberi, Asparagi E Pachino

Homemade fettuccine sauteed in olive oil, chili pepper, white wine, cherry tomatoes, asparagus & shrimps

I'll take overpriced shrimp for $32, Alex-

Ok- it wasn't bad, the pasta was nice, but the sauce was soooooo bland and it tasted like it was made with boullion. Like you can't make an actual stock in this restaurant?

Pods wanted tohave pasta, too, but nothng was grabbing him, and he asked about Linguine Al Pesto Genovese

Linguine w/ original pesto recipe, potatoes & green beans $28.

This is something Marcella Hazan includes in that book I told you about- it is sublime in the summer, when basil is fresh from the garden and pesto is so wonderful. So Pods was familiar with the dish and looking forward to a comfort kind of food.

Pretty sure the chef at Azul (who our lovely server told us JUST came from Rome to cook for them) has never read, seen or heard of her book. Such a shame. Again, this was OK- it just wasn't amazing and delicious, the way it should be.

Pods said, "Yours is so much better."

I have trained him well, LOL! We finished up, and got our check- and that was it. I wish we would have enjoyed it more, but it was so bland, and so misrepresented. The latest reviews on Yelp are not too good, either, so it seems they have gone from a very well regarded establishment to one that is just kinda....there. Sigh.... I will say, though, again, that our server was lovely- really a sweet girl. She offered to take a couple of iphone pics for us so I could post on FB-

On the way out of the hotel-

And back to another blurry Aulani pic-

And to our boys hangin in the villa-

We were soon off to bed- in the morning, we were heading to Pearl Harbor on our last full day in Hawaii....sniffsniff...

Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #593
MEK
DIS Veteran

$19 for that app? That is a bit overpriced. All the food looks really good. Sorry it was all just eh! I hear ya on the fresh pesto. Denny makes it every summer and it's so good. Then we freeze the left over in old fashioned ice cube trays. I love pesto and it is good comfort food.

Can't believe you trip is coming to a close. Bummer. But then you can post pictures of your latest adventure, which I'm sure was fabulous.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #594
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great pics!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #595
podsnel

Quote:
$19 for that app? That is a bit overpriced. All the food looks really good. Sorry it was all just eh! I hear ya on the fresh pesto. Denny makes it every summer and it's so good. Then we freeze the left over in old fashioned ice cube trays. I love pesto and it is good comfort food.

Can't believe you trip is coming to a close. Bummer. But then you can post pictures of your latest adventure, which I'm sure was fabulous.
The $19 would have been almost appropriate if they had been porcini- porcini mushrooms were in season then, so in my mind, that was totally possible- until I saw the plate. I think I mentioned it to our server, and it confused her. But even dried porcinis are better than no porcinis, and they are very flavorful- you can get their flavor in the whole dish just by using some when you cook. Or you can charge $19 for 2 or 3 creminis, 1 cherry tomato, 1 anchovy, 1 small piece of fresh mozz and maybe 1/3 of a plum tomato. Oh! And at least half a basil leaf and 3 slices of ciabatta. Yea.....RIGHT!

Funny, that app is pissin me off more now than when I ate it! Must be residual anger from finding out DCL definitely would NOT be returning to NYC next summer! Looks like the fam and I are onboard NCL Breakaway in 2014..... but it looks like it will be a VERY fun ship for T&T, AND it's going to Bermuda, so, I can live with it! Just really wanted to do one more DCL before Tyler turns 18 and gets shut out of Vibe or Stack. He is so shy, and does well in the club- wandering the ship aimlessly looking for other 18 year olds...Eh, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Great pics!
Thank you!!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #596
kid-at-heart
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This is a GREAT photo of you and Pods. You should have it framed.

After reading your report I immediately went to Amazon and ordered Ms. Hazan's cookbook. It will be here in two days.

Sarah is the opposite of Tyler. She could hold a conversation with a doorknob - and the doorknob would talk back.

Kate

kid-at-heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #597
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

Your meal looked really good, sorry to hear it was just meh.

I love Italian food, that's one reason we like Williamsburg, Va. Lot of ex- New Yorkers have restaurants there, especially Italian ones.
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #598
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Funny, that app is pissin me off more now than when I ate it!
That cocktail you had probably eased the pain at the time.

Quote:
Must be residual anger from finding out DCL definitely would NOT be returning to NYC next summer! Looks like the fam and I are onboard NCL Breakaway in 2014..... but it looks like it will be a VERY fun ship for T&T, AND it's going to Bermuda, so, I can live with it! Just really wanted to do one more DCL before Tyler turns 18 and gets shut out of Vibe or Stack. He is so shy, and does well in the club- wandering the ship aimlessly looking for other 18 year olds...Eh, not so much.

I wondered what was going to happen with DCL and NYC. Too bad that didn't work out.

Can't believe Tyler is already pushing 18. NCL sounds like a great alternative.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #599
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

What an awesome update, I loved the sunset pictures. Sorry that it is going to end soon. That's too bad that the restaurant didn't live up to what it should have. We are very spoiled here in the greater LA area. There's lots of crappy food, but there is also lots of really good food too.

I hope you are planning on visiting Napa Rose when you come to DL. There's lots of other great places nearby too, but not enough time to eat at all of them!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #600
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Sorry you didn't enjoy the meal that much!!! Here in The Falls, we jhave a couple of awesome Italian restaurants and I am sooo leery of ordering Italian anywhere else !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: