Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #76
Lesprivate
DIS Veteran

Too bad about the service at Ohana because I love this breakfast but I love everything about the Poly.

DVC Owners - Saratoga Springs since 2006
AKL Kidani August 2013, CBR October 2012, OKW August 2012, May 2011 BLT,October 2010 BLT, August 2010 AKV, August 2009 SSR,May 2009 SSR, August 2008 VWL, August 2007 - POR and BCV, November 2006 - POFQ, August 2004 - ASSP, January 2001 - Offsite, December 1998 - Offsite, May 1997 - Offsite, June 1996 - Offsite, December 1995 - Offsite, June 1994 - Offsite, February 1989 - Offsite, April 1986 - Offsite, April 1985 - Offsite, December 1985 - Offsite, Numerous times as a child
Me , DH , DD , DGS Lucky , Spike Spanky :
Old 09-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #77
tazdev3225
I sucked my thumb up with the vacuum
I fell up a mountain skiing and sprained both my ankles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesprivate View Post
Too bad about the service at Ohana because I love this breakfast but I love everything about the Poly.
I am hoping that this was just a one time thing. If the service is bad in a couple of weeks I will be complaining. I do love the atmosphere at the Poly though. It's a beautiful resort.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #78
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

We had dinner at Ohana a couple of years ago and I wasn't too happy with the service either. We have started eating at Kona for breakfast, but I know you miss out on the characters.

I know what you mean about people rushing in front of you when you are trying to stick with your family.

And we learned that some time apart when you are with family is very important.
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012

900 Miles, 5 Parks, 2 Resorts, 6 ADR's, and 3 days of Celebration!!! August 2012 TR I love SWW and SW Celebrations...does that mean I am a geek? A PTR of a SW family August 2012. Adventures of a DisneyWORLDholic!
That's it...we moved to Florida to be close to Mickey TR with daily TR's and other Florida Fun!
My DSD came to visit and didn't want to go to WDW with us??? My July 14-21st TR with Busch Gardens, Universal, and of course, WDW.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #79
tazdev3225

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmskinner View Post
We had dinner at Ohana a couple of years ago and I wasn't too happy with the service either. We have started eating at Kona for breakfast, but I know you miss out on the characters.

I know what you mean about people rushing in front of you when you are trying to stick with your family.

And we learned that some time apart when you are with family is very important.
I have never been able to get in Ohana for dinner. I chose it more for the characters than anything else. The kids hads a great time so that was the most important thng to me.

The cutting is one reason I really hate the scooter. It is even worse with that because you become a non-entity. I would love to just walk but unfortunately I think I am headed for another knee surgery.

That was the biggest lesson I learned last year as I sat in AK crying on the phone to my mom. The time apart is good for us all.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #80
tazdev3225

As I left everyone hanging we had just finished a loooong breakfast at Ohana and our plans for the day changed slightly.

Jim and I got to the resort and I changed into my bathing suit. There will be no pics of that. You do not want to see an overweight old lady in that attire. I don't want to see me that way. I texted my friend and she was on her way. We stopped at the food court and I got my Gold Peak white citrus tea. I love that stuff and Jim had a migraine coming on so he grabbed a Vanilla shake. We then tried to find a couple of chairs. That was not happening around the pool. I went over by the baby pool/laundry area and found a table with umbrella and chairs.

Kathy arrived around this time with her daughter and grandparents. We chatted for a bit and then went in the pool. I do not swim. I have belonged to a swim club for over 20 years and until last year went the pool maybe once a year. But, in I went. I had my waterproof camera with me so figured I would take some pics. First I couldn't get the camera off of a setting that completely blew out the pictures. Finally fixed that and got one good pic of Kathy and Lily

She is an absolutely adorable baby. Then my waterproof camera wasn't waterproof. So no more pics and I was seriously bummed. First my brand new Canon broke and now the waterproof camera wasn't working. Lily was getting hungry and tired so we headed back over to the umbrella. Notice how blue the sky was and fluffy white the clouds were. Yep - that changed fast and it started to rain. Just a steady downpour no thunder or lightning. We were laughing at all of the people running out of the pool to hide under an umbrella. They're in water but afraid of getting wet. We chatted a bit longer but the rain was really starting to come down heavy and the sky was getting very dark - then we had the thunder. We said good-bye and she went off in search of her grandparents. Jim and I headed back to the room so I could change. I'll see Kathy and Lily again in October.

The kids had gotten back to the resort by this time but swimming was out. It was around 3:00 by now so we decided to eat an early dinner. We headed back to the food court. This was a great idea. Because of the rain they had moved the pool activities in there. Between that and the movies or TV shoes playing the kids were kept amused. Jim, Jay, Mike and Jennifer all got the nachos. They can be made any way you want and they all loved them.

The kids had pizza, it could have used a little more cheese in my opinion

I went on a health kick and had a build your own salad. London Broil, salad base and some yummy vegie additions

side view

I also got fruit for dessert

I didn't get to eat the fruit because Jay wanted it. He didn't know you could get that. That boy can eat a whole watermelon in one day - he loves his melon.

I wound up with the chocolate cake. The food was very good and that salad was so wonderful that I have been making my own version of it at home. Jim however wasn't as happy. He found a long piece of clear plastic in his salad. I told him that he needed to tell someone. It could have been a serious choking hazard. The manager was really upset about it and gave us back the credit for his meal. Jim wasn't upset he also told the manager that he would still eat it. They gave him a new taco salad anyway.

The kids joined in the games and Mikey won one of them. He was crowned King!

We headed back to the rooms for a bit to decide what we wanted to do and I checked to see if my camera dried out. Nope! The memory card was still wet too.

To be continued.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #81
PrincessAlways
DIS Veteran

Hey.....I met Kathy!!!! In all places....Atlantic City!! Of course we went to the Disney outlet store! That was quite awhile ago. The baby is adorable!!!
POR, 2003 OKW,2004 Poly, 2005 SSR (June), Pop (Sept), CSR (Nov), 2006 OKW (May), Swan (Sept), OKW (Nov), 2007 Pop (Feb), OKW (June), CR (Sept), BWV (Nov), 2008 CSR (April), OKW (July), SSR (Dec)2009 Pop (March) OKW (May) BLT (Nov), 2010 BLT (May) AKL (Oct) 2011 SWAN (March) BLT (June) AKL (Nov) OKW (Nov) 2012 BWI (March) OKW (May) POR Royal (Oct) OKW (Nov) 2013 BWV (Apr) offsite (July) Kidani (Dec) 2014 AKL (April)
Old 09-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #82
tazdev3225

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessAlways View Post
Hey.....I met Kathy!!!! In all places....Atlantic City!! Of course we went to the Disney outlet store! That was quite awhile ago. The baby is adorable!!!
That's an interesting place to meet. As close as I am to the Jersey shore I neer go there. I prefer Wildwood to Atlantic City. That baby really is a cutey. I'm looking forward to seeing them in October.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #83
tazdev3225

I need to explain part of the title. Mikey is my buddy. I love that kid to death. He is cute, sweet, a total lovebug. He is also deathly afraid of bugs. This is somewhat interesting because he loves to stare at ants at work but if one touches him he goes into complete panic mode. He will chase butterflies all over a field til it flies towards him and then he runs, sometimes into harms way. He will go up to anybody and talk to them and they are instantly his BFF. He has no social filters. I have learned to read his cues very well and can usually tell when he is ready to run, not always. We have lost him on the beach with 4 adults checking on him. I lost him at the zoo and on the boardwalk. I have even lost him at church. My daughter and SIL are not always good at reading his flight cues.

They lost him in EPCOT the morning we took a break. They were all in panic mode even the 2 girls. They love their brother. From what I have been told they found him within 5 minutes holding the hand of a stranger (male) looking for hins mom. When Jen found him she was scared, happy, angry - the gamut of emotions. Mikey said "Mommy I couldn't find you." Thankfully this gentleman was very kind and stayed in one spot with Mikey. But that is why the Where's Mikey? in the title. They didn't tell me right away because they knew I would have been in the car heading to WalMart to buy a leash for him. What's scarier is Mikey still doesn't understand that going up to a stranger is wrong. I have some thoughts on Mikey and really feel he may be Autistic or at least ADHD. Time will tell this year now that he's in first grade.

OK - we had a late lunch/early dinner. I'm down two cameras. It's almost 4:30 and I haven't been to a park. That was a shocking first for me. Since we didn't have PH's there was only one choice for a park. We were off to EPCOT. Mike was still having issues with his back so he stayed behind. This was the first day we had a real issue with the buses. The All Stars share a bus and Movies is last. I got in the "handicap" spot and was followed soon after by another ECV. The first bus pulled up. While there were no ECV's on it there were a few people. The driver would not accomodate us. He did say that he radioed in that they needed to get a bus over to Movies for ECV pick-ups. OK I can understand that he felt he was too crowded.

We waited, the line swelled, no bus. Mikey was getting really hard to keep entertained.

Finally we see n EPCOT bus - full. Jim and the gentleman from the other party went up to the driver to find out what was going on. She was very nice and said that she heard the call for a bus to get there. It had to come from EPCOT. OK understandable but she was at EPCOT when she heard it. The other family had an AFR at 6 PM at the Coral Reef and it was now at least 45 minutes since we got in line. Just as the driver finished the explanation the bus for us pulled up.

I know ECV's get a bad rap. We get special treatment, have special lines, etc. We have to go through most lines, the special lines can have an even longer wait, nd when it comes to transportation we sometimes have very long waits and then we are last off of the bus. My family would have been at EPCOT an hour earlier if it wasn't for me and I was not happy about that.

Finally we were loaded and on our way. Not too long and we were seeing this beautiful, dark cloud covered sight

As we entered the first words out of my mouth were "Where's Mikey?" He found a hiding spot

Jay grabbed Ella

My first ride has to be Spaceship Earth. Mikey rode with me

Ella chose the graphics

Our future

I sent the postcards home when we got off

Crystal rode with Jim and Jay I believe but her face didn't make it.

That sky did not look too friendly. But we were headed to Club Cool

Now I had gotten my mother with Beverly on our trip. Last year I got my other daughter. I was given strict orders by my mom that I was not to do it to the little ones. I told Jim this, he didn't listen and gave the Beverly to them

Mikey was not happy with his Poppy, I gave him the one from China and he liked that. We headed over to The Land. I didn't want to ride Soarin'. This is not on my list of rides to do, I get really sick on it. We went down to Living With the Land. Jay requested it as he really likes the ride

After The Land we went over to Finding Nemo for the kids. They really enjoyed that ride and exploring a couple of minutes. Jennifer was tired and the kids were cranky so she and Jay took them back to the resort for an early bed time. We had another early day coming up.

EPCOT had evening EMH's so Jim and I were going to stay for awhile and explore the countries. We decided to go on

That's right Journey into the Imagination. This has been my son's favorite ride since his first trip. I designed a Figment

continued in next post
Old 09-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #84
tazdev3225

continued:

When we got down to the dump shop it was crowded. The threatening clouds had opened up. It was pouring. We waited a bit and then headed back to Finding Nemo.

I took some pics

Jim and I decided to explore the tanks for a bit. We watched the dolphins and then walked around the upper level. I spent 20 or 30 minutes taking pics trying to get a good one of the sharks. I have another grandson, Jay's younger brother Kyle, who is totally obsessed with sharks. He can tell you species, where they live, all kinds of facts about them. I wanted to get a good shot for him

Found the Hidden Mickey

A ray

and the sharks

Kyle liked them. Anyway it was after nine and still raining. I have done EPCOT, I have done EPCOT in the rain, and did not really want to do that this night. I knew we had another day and figured we would see the worlds then. We did SE one more time

Then headed back to the resort. I did take this pic of Ella after SE before Jen and the kids left

When we got back to the room Jim received a phone call from our son. This was expected as he called every other day or so to let us know how the furbabies were doing. I could tell from the look on his face and the tone of his voice that something was really wrong.

I was right. When Jamie got to the house there was a notice in the door from animal control. We were accused of abandoning the animals with no food or water for the past 4 days. We had less than 24 hours to respond or they were getting a warrant, breaking in to my house and taking my babies. I cannot say in words how upset and MAD!!! I was. We knew who called and made the report. My next door neighbor moved in 2 years and took an instant dislike to us. He calls the city and complains about everything. He hates my flowers so they're weeds. He parks so close to the property line that I have 3 inches to open my car door. He yells obscenities out the window at us. Basic bullying tactics. I have no idea why he hates us as I have never said more than hello to him when he moved in. I knew he did this the second I heard it. I was really upset though. I knew That Jamie would handle it first thing in the morning but I was worried that he or my daughter would confront the little moron next door.

So with rain and threats of losing my babies to baseless accusations my day came to an end. I went to bed early and had a really restless night. On top of all that I lost my photopass plus lanyard.

Up next DAY 6 - does it get better?
Old 09-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #85
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Oh my, sorry you have such a terrible neighbor. That is just awful. I would want to make sure the police knew it was a false report and see if he could be charged. That makes me .

Had you taken a pic of your photopass lanyard? Does taking a pic only help retreive the pics you already had or are you able to get a new one?

Sorry you had such a bad time with the buses. Man, you really didn't have a good night.

SE and Figment is about all I see us riding in October at Epcot. Soarin' isn't a favorite, TT being down, and I don't ride the extreme side of M:S.

Looks like you still had a little fun. Love the pics!
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012

900 Miles, 5 Parks, 2 Resorts, 6 ADR's, and 3 days of Celebration!!! August 2012 TR I love SWW and SW Celebrations...does that mean I am a geek? A PTR of a SW family August 2012. Adventures of a DisneyWORLDholic!
That's it...we moved to Florida to be close to Mickey TR with daily TR's and other Florida Fun!
My DSD came to visit and didn't want to go to WDW with us??? My July 14-21st TR with Busch Gardens, Universal, and of course, WDW.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #86
Lesprivate
DIS Veteran

I would have been terrified if Andrew was missing, I know what you mean about our reading our grandkids before the parents can, I am the same way with Andrew he is my buddy, always wants to sit on my lap.

I love the faces Jim and Jay are making in their SE photo. We tried to get Anna and Ben with Beverly in Club Cool but Anna actually liked Beverly, we didn't try with Andrew because he has never had soda before. Emily loves sharks and can tell you what kind and where they live, etc. I could sit and watch the Manatees forever.

DVC Owners - Saratoga Springs since 2006
AKL Kidani August 2013, CBR October 2012, OKW August 2012, May 2011 BLT,October 2010 BLT, August 2010 AKV, August 2009 SSR,May 2009 SSR, August 2008 VWL, August 2007 - POR and BCV, November 2006 - POFQ, August 2004 - ASSP, January 2001 - Offsite, December 1998 - Offsite, May 1997 - Offsite, June 1996 - Offsite, December 1995 - Offsite, June 1994 - Offsite, February 1989 - Offsite, April 1986 - Offsite, April 1985 - Offsite, December 1985 - Offsite, Numerous times as a child
Me , DH , DD , DGS Lucky , Spike Spanky :
Old 09-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #87
tazdev3225

Quote:
Oh my, sorry you have such a terrible neighbor. That is just awful. I would want to make sure the police knew it was a false report and see if he could be charged. That makes me .

Had you taken a pic of your photopass lanyard? Does taking a pic only help retreive the pics you already had or are you able to get a new one?

Sorry you had such a bad time with the buses. Man, you really didn't have a good night.

SE and Figment is about all I see us riding in October at Epcot. Soarin' isn't a favorite, TT being down, and I don't ride the extreme side of M:S.

Looks like you still had a little fun. Love the pics!
My son did take care of it the next day. The problem is we know it was him but animal control doesn't have to tell us who it was or they just say anonymous. He now screams obsceneties out the window at me. This is all over trash cans.

I do take pics of my photopass cards and the lanyard so I did get it replaced. that will be in my report for the next day.

We did have some fun and I really tried not to let everything get to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesprivate View Post
I would have been terrified if Andrew was missing, I know what you mean about our reading our grandkids before the parents can, I am the same way with Andrew he is my buddy, always wants to sit on my lap.

I love the faces Jim and Jay are making in their SE photo. We tried to get Anna and Ben with Beverly in Club Cool but Anna actually liked Beverly, we didn't try with Andrew because he has never had soda before. Emily loves sharks and can tell you what kind and where they live, etc. I could sit and watch the Manatees forever.
I have watched Michael since he was 6 weeks old when my daughter wnet back to work. He sort of took over Jay's role as my best buddy. Jay is a teenager, not cool or grandmom to be your buddy til you need something.

Jim and Jay looked so bored. I laughed when I saw that. I really didn't want to get Mikey with Beverly. Jennifer I wanted to try but she had been warned by her sister. It amazes me what Kyle tells me about the sharks. He's the same age as Crystal but has Aspergers. He can't read but yet watches a show on sharks and it's all committed to memory. The manatees were asleep while we were there and roped off.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #88
kde175
Mouseketeer

Quote:
SCOTTNY posted a link to your TR, so I thought I would join.
Me, too...

Old 09-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #89
tazdev3225

Quote:
Originally Posted by kde175 View Post
Me, too...
Thanks for coming over.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #90
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

GET HIM A LEASH...

I said in Amish country and I will say it now.

The pic of Ella with the Jessie hat is so cute.

We are so turned off by 'Ohanas now that Vinny has put it on the "no list".

How nice that you got to see Kathy. I can't wait till October to see her and meet Lily.

Jay does not like his photo taken it seems.

Hope you find the laynard.

That is bad about the cameras.

Okay waiting for more.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: