Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #31
1andrea
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzanoid View Post
Yep, turn off data roaming and you're good to go - you'll still get the normal mobile network for calls and texts (but not picture messages as these use the data network), and on goes the wifi.

The problem is I will probably be too scared to even try and connect to wifi using my iPhone. I really want to try it but I've heard so many stories of phone bills costing people £1000 and more I think I will be too worried to take the chance!

[/url]

2005 January DLRP 3 Nights Dream Castle
2005 May/June 14 Nights Swan and Dolphin and 7 Nights Clearwater
2006 May/ June 10 Nights All Stars Movies and 10 Nights Jamaica
2007 June 14 Nights Saratoga Springs
2008 May/June 21 Nights Beach Club Villas, Hard Rock Hotel and Wilderness Lodge Villas
December 16 Nights Polynesian, Portofino Bay and Grand Floridian
2009 March DLRP 3 Nights Sequoia Lodge
2009 May/ June 22 Nights Port Orleans Riverside, Hard Rock Hotel and Animal Kingdom Lodge
2010 May/ June 26 Nights Bay Lake Tower, Hard Rock Hotel and Boardwalk Villas

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

[/url]

1andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #32
1andrea
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Next time you'll be fine!

I can't stress this enough to anyone that is reading this thread.... if you have ANY internet-connected smartphone running on BB (BlackBerry), iOS (iPhone), Android or Windows:

If you do not have data turned off (or disabled on your tariff), the phone will talk to the internet several times a day. Could be for anything from syncing email to checking for updates. If this happens (and it will) when in the US, you'll get massive data roaming charges. Make sure you turn off packet data / internet access / 3G / HDSPA!!!!

What's packet data/ Internet access/ 3G/ HDSPA? I have an iPhone, I know how to turn off data roaming, do I need to do anything lease I'd I'm brave enough to try to connect to wifi?

Thanks

[/url]

2008 May/June 21 Nights Beach Club Villas, Hard Rock Hotel and Wilderness Lodge Villas
2009 May/ June 22 Nights Port Orleans Riverside, Hard Rock Hotel and Animal Kingdom Lodge

[/url]

[/url]

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #33
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrea View Post
What's packet data/ Internet access/ 3G/ HDSPA? I have an iPhone, I know how to turn off data roaming, do I need to do anything lease I'd I'm brave enough to try to connect to wifi?

Thanks
Go into Settings > General > Network and turn off Cellular Data. This is the iphone 'language' equivalent of packet data and will prevent the phone connecting to the internet over the mobile networks. All you need to do then is make sure your Wifi is turned on, and away you go
bazzanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #34
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

When connecting up to Disney's wifi network, the Wifi 'name' you want to connect to is Disney-Guest.

Also... The reason i say turn off the mobile data connection entirely is simply because if you're on a carrier that has a US presence, such as T-Mobile, the phones will automatically hook into that network and could assume it is not roaming........ and hey presto, your phone bill will resemble your bill for the holiday!!

Old 09-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #35
1andrea
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Go into Settings > General > Network and turn off Cellular Data. This is the iphone 'language' equivalent of packet data and will prevent the phone connecting to the internet over the mobile networks. All you need to do then is make sure your Wifi is turned on, and away you go
Quote:
When connecting up to Disney's wifi network, the Wifi 'name' you want to connect to is Disney-Guest.

Also... The reason i say turn off the mobile data connection entirely is simply because if you're on a carrier that has a US presence, such as T-Mobile, the phones will automatically hook into that network and could assume it is not roaming........ and hey presto, your phone bill will resemble your bill for the holiday
Right! I have Settings > General > Network

Then my IPhone 4 has Enable 3G, Mobile Data, Mobile Data Network (Which has further options if I click on it), Data Roaming, Personal Hotspot, VPN and Wifi (which is connected to my own home wifi).

Apart from Mobile Data Network and Wifi the other options only have the choice of on or off!

Thank you for your help!

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

Old 09-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #36
tasharella
Earning My Ears

This might seem a silly question, (I'm rubbish with technology!) but on my iPhone 4 if I turn it onto aeroplane mode will that turn everything off? I've tested to see if I can get wifi on aeroplane mode and i can. But just wondering if it will turn everything else off? Or should I just manually go through and turn everything but wifi off? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #37
luke
Señor Mejor

Putting it onto airplane mode then just putting the wifi back on is fine.
Don't forget you won't receive any calls/texts though

Old 09-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #38
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrea View Post

Then my IPhone 4 has Enable 3G, Mobile Data, Mobile Data Network (Which has further options if I click on it), Data Roaming, Personal Hotspot, VPN and Wifi (which is connected to my own home wifi).

Apart from Mobile Data Network and Wifi the other options only have the choice of on or off!

Thank you for your help!
Yep, so turn off Enable 3G, which would probably disable the rest of the options, but if it doesn't, turn everything else off apart from Wifi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
Putting it onto airplane mode then just putting the wifi back on is fine.
Don't forget you won't receive any calls/texts though

This.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #39
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Here now and wifi has been a bit hit and miss with my phone and keeps asking me to accept the terms and conditions and reconnect.

DD's android shows her as connected but has not allowed her to send or receive a single email or access any online pages since then so buying the phone specifically for the trip was a bit of a waste as it's been sitting in the safe for the last few days now. We tried everything we can think of and all appears to be fine with the settings but it's just not connected as it says it is
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #40
MichelinMan
I Am Speed - Ka-Chow!!!!

If you have an unlocked handset, you could try buying an international SIM card. A company called Tru Sim seems to get good reviews, and has fairly cheap data usage too. I haven't tried them myself, but thinking about it for next year to use with my Android phone.

I recently went to the States on business, and used the Orange international data bundle - cost me £24 for 30MB of data for a month, which isn't a lot of data, but lasted me for a week of emails and the odd bit of browsing. If I go on holiday for 3 weeks next year as planned, I would need the 150MB monthly package I reckon, and that costs £90 so isn't worth it, which is why I am looking at the Tru Sim card (which works out at £1 for 5MB of data).

I am hoping my new job comes with a decent phone though, then I will use that instead!

July 1994 : WDW Off-Site on Honeymoon
July 2009 : DLP Newport Bay Club
July 2011 : DLP Disneyland Hotel
July 2013 : WDW Polynesian Resort / Hard Rock Universal / Renaissance SeaWorld
MichelinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #41
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Here now and wifi has been a bit hit and miss with my phone and keeps asking me to accept the terms and conditions and reconnect.

DD's android shows her as connected but has not allowed her to send or receive a single email or access any online pages since then so buying the phone specifically for the trip was a bit of a waste as it's been sitting in the safe for the last few days now. We tried everything we can think of and all appears to be fine with the settings but it's just not connected as it says it is
Pop into any mobile phone store while you're there, they might be able to help, or maybe to guest relations? They should also be able to assist....

Old 09-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #42
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies

Is it asking her to accept the T&Cs? If it isn't although it is showing as connected it won't be fully connected and allowing data to pass.

Try opening the web browser that may force the terms page to open.

We have only connected Apple devices to it and when we have had trouble it is because of the T&Cs not being accepted.

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 AM   #43
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrea

Thank you for your help!
You just need to turn off mobile data - leave everything else. If data roaming is shown as off it shouldn't connect anyway.

Turning off enable 3G doesn't stop data as it just reverts to 2G speeds.

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Old 09-12-2012, 01:28 AM   #44
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzanoid

Also... The reason i say turn off the mobile data connection entirely is simply because if you're on a carrier that has a US presence, such as T-Mobile, the phones will automatically hook into that network and could assume it is not roaming........ and hey presto, your phone bill will resemble your bill for the holiday!!

Not true - the networks run on different settings so the phone knows it is on a different carrier. It is safest to turn of mobile data but shouldn't be necessary!

As a side note - I really with the iPhone app did multi quotes!

Old 09-12-2012, 01:43 AM   #45
Davscotcar
Mouseketeer

A lot to take in on this thread to someone who is ok with technology but still unsure if what he is going to do is will be fine for his iphone4, so i understand those with extra worries.

To confirm my set up, IF i go into Settings > General > Network

My existing settings read

Enable 3G On
Cellular Data On
Data Roaming Off
Personal Hotspot Off
VPN Not Connected
Wi-Fi On obviiusly

Would i be correct in saying all i need to do when travelling and avoid the huge bills is to only turn Cellular Data Off, or is there something else i should be doing?

Thanks in advance.

1. July 82 Cocoa Beach
2. Aug 91 I-Drive 3. Oct/Nov 98 WDW All Star Sports 4. Sept 99 DLP 5. May 01 WDW POR 6. Jan 04 DLP 7. Oct 06 DLP 8. July 07 WDW POR 9. NEXT VISIT June/July 13 Highway 27 Villas
Davscotcar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: