Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #16
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

No worries!
bazzanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #17
DisMadWife
Earning My Ears

We returned yesterday and DH and myself used the wifi in the parks and at OKW successfully. We do not have data roaming so were sure we could only download on wifi. DH has an andriod and I have a Blackberry and we had no issues with either it was very useful to have. Hope this helps. Oh and it is very slow at times.
DisMadWife is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #18
dlhvac
THE BEAST

get skype or magic jack for your phone and you can make and receive calls on your phone connected to wifi

dlhvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
consumermonkey
Mouseketeer

Read this thread last night and tried the removing SIM trick (Sony Neo). Worked a treat.

Picked up one of those Playbook things on offer in Currys this morning. That will do the job for surfing in room, then use the phone for TP's Lines and whatever else I choose while in the parks. With MK and Epcot having the wifi, the other two should be done by January for my trip.

Brilliant, No Sim, No Charges.

consumermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #20
1andrea
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Hello, can anyone offer me some advic please? I have an iPhone 4 and I'm absolutely rubbish with technology.

I want to use my phone to text in Florida (I know they will cost me close to 40 pence per text)

I would live to be able to connect to the internet in the parks and OKW for free, if I turn off data roaming is this all I need to do to view the Internet for free? Can I use my apps like Facebook too?

How do I connect, is a password needed?

[/url]

2005 January DLRP 3 Nights Dream Castle
2005 May/June 14 Nights Swan and Dolphin and 7 Nights Clearwater
2006 May/ June 10 Nights All Stars Movies and 10 Nights Jamaica
2007 June 14 Nights Saratoga Springs
2008 May/June 21 Nights Beach Club Villas, Hard Rock Hotel and Wilderness Lodge Villas
December 16 Nights Polynesian, Portofino Bay and Grand Floridian
2009 March DLRP 3 Nights Sequoia Lodge
2009 May/ June 22 Nights Port Orleans Riverside, Hard Rock Hotel and Animal Kingdom Lodge
2010 May/ June 26 Nights Bay Lake Tower, Hard Rock Hotel and Boardwalk Villas

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

[/url]

1andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #21
Grimm Grinning Ghost
Mouseketeer

Turn data roaming off as you can incur data charges when you don't realise especially with smart phones.
Turn on WiFi where WiFi is available and it should give you various connections for you to connect too.Im not 100% but in Disney I don't think there's a password but hopefully someone who's used it could clarify this.

Tweet me @Neilo54
Grimm Grinning Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #22
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm Grinning Ghost View Post
Turn data roaming off as you can incur data charges when you don't realise especially with smart phones.
Turn on WiFi where WiFi is available and it should give you various connections for you to connect too.Im not 100% but in Disney I don't think there's a password but hopefully someone who's used it could clarify this.
Yep, turn off data roaming and you're good to go - you'll still get the normal mobile network for calls and texts (but not picture messages as these use the data network), and on goes the wifi.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:37 AM   #23
zippy99
DIS Veteran

We had 2 iphone4 with us in August. Mine is set up not to work abroad (so I have no worries). However DDs new iphone4 was fully set up to work & call (the way she texts I started to panic! I turned off 3G , data roaming and cellular - we sent a few texts costing a total of £3 but saw no other charges on our bill so it worked fine.

We did find the WiFi in Magic Kingdom & Epcot to actually be better than the resort! (CBR)

Disneyworld Orlando - AKL, Disney Dream & Contemporary - October 2014 Disneyworld Orlando - Wilderness Lodge & RPR - August 2013
Disneyworld Orlando - RPR & CBR - August 2012 Florida Emerald Island Resort - October 2011
Disneyworld Orlando - OKW - October 2010 Disneyworld Orlando - POFQ - September 2009
Disneyworld Orlando - Pop Century - January 2008 Disneyland Paris - DisneyLand Hotel - Christmas 2006
Disneyland Paris - Sequioa Lodge - October 2005 Disneyland Paris - Sequioa Lodge - March 2004
zippy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:42 AM   #24
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

i have a special SIM to use in the US.

to use the US SIM i have to have data roaming on, but it doesn't matter as i don't have a data package on that SIM.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #25
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

what an amazing thread, I've got a samsung and would love to use it for data roaming/google mail but am scared of the huge charges. Now I know that i can just take my sim out and be guaranteed safe - yippee : thank you.

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #26
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
what an amazing thread, I've got a samsung and would love to use it for data roaming/google mail but am scared of the huge charges. Now I know that i can just take my sim out and be guaranteed safe - yippee : thank you.
I take it your Samsung is Android-based? This trick will work with all Android phones regardless of manufacturer. Alternatively, the other way if you're worried about losing the SIM is to activate Flight Mode and turn on the Wifi.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #27
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

yes it is android - can't believe I didn't use it last year out of fear

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #28
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
yes it is android - can't believe I didn't use it last year out of fear
Next time you'll be fine!

I can't stress this enough to anyone that is reading this thread.... if you have ANY internet-connected smartphone running on BB (BlackBerry), iOS (iPhone), Android or Windows:

If you do not have data turned off (or disabled on your tariff), the phone will talk to the internet several times a day. Could be for anything from syncing email to checking for updates. If this happens (and it will) when in the US, you'll get massive data roaming charges. Make sure you turn off packet data / internet access / 3G / HDSPA!!!!

Old 09-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #29
Tink2312
I didn't ask to be a princess but if the crown fits...
May take over the world ... or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzanoid

Next time you'll be fine!

I can't stress this enough to anyone that is reading this thread.... if you have ANY internet-connected smartphone running on BB (BlackBerry), iOS (iPhone), Android or Windows:

If you do not have data turned off (or disabled on your tariff), the phone will talk to the internet several times a day. Could be for anything from syncing email to checking for updates. If this happens (and it will) when in the US, you'll get massive data roaming charges. Make sure you turn off packet data / internet access / 3G / HDSPA!!!!

Fab. I haven't ever taken my smartphone out of fear of the charges, but I never thought of removing the sim and just using wifi...duh. I've recently upgraded to a Galaxy S2 (from a BB) and I was hoping to be able to use the wifi in the parks and also have it as an extra camera. Of course, it now means taking yet another charger
Easter 1992 - Holiday Inn I-Drive/ Hilton St. Pete’s Beach, June 1993 - Doubletree Universal/ Hilton Clearwater, Easter 1995 - Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive,Halloween 1995 - DLP offsite, Easter 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive, Easter 2000 - Doubletree Universal, Christmas 2000 - Courtyard by Marriot DTD/ Tradewinds Island Grande St Pete’s Beach/ Holiday Inn Universal Halloween 2001 - Cheyenne DLP, Easter 2002 - CBM DTD/ Clearwater Beach Hotel, July 2003 - Newport Bay DLP Jan 2004 - Cypress Pointe, Easter 2005 - Hawthorn Suites LBV/ Bahama Bay, July 2006 - Newport Bay DLP Christmas2006- Springhill Suites LBV, Thanksgiving 2007 - Buena Vista Palace/ Park Shore Naples/ Pop/ CSR, March/ April 2009 - Pop/ CSR/ Blue Heron Beach Resort Nov 2009 - SSR and free dining Oct 2010 - SSR and free DDP March 2011 - Solo trip to BLT Sept 2011 - DLRP Christmas/ New Year 2011 - BLT/AKV/WLV Nov 2012 - BLT/Dream 4 night Bahamas Cruise June 2013 -Magic Mediterranean 7 night cruise November 2013 - BLT February 2014 - DLP solo October 2014 - ASM, BLT & BC
Tink2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #30
zippy99
DIS Veteran

I can't help wondering, having seen the same questions re wi-fi come up again and again, if this is worth an FAQ - WiFi & phones when abroad sticky?

In the advent of technology and the ability to 'I-message', Skype & Facebook message etc back home (or whilst with others in your party in FL) and avoid expensive costs that a little guide to help would not go a miss.

Perhaps some tips on good apps etc... I would be happy to help with iPhone etc.. If some others can assist with android on HTC/Samsung - and some general feedback on useful apps.

After all, we are a technology based community - so helping our fellow dissers in this area only seems appropriate!

Disneyworld Orlando - AKL, Disney Dream & Contemporary - October 2014 Disneyworld Orlando - Wilderness Lodge & RPR - August 2013
Disneyworld Orlando - RPR & CBR - August 2012 Florida Emerald Island Resort - October 2011
Disneyworld Orlando - OKW - October 2010 Disneyworld Orlando - POFQ - September 2009
Disneyworld Orlando - Pop Century - January 2008 Disneyland Paris - DisneyLand Hotel - Christmas 2006
Disneyland Paris - Sequioa Lodge - October 2005 Disneyland Paris - Sequioa Lodge - March 2004
zippy99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: