Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
JulieBarlow
Mouseketeer

Free Wi-Fi on UK phones

We've seen that there is now free wi-fi in resorts and in Magic Kingdom and Epcot. When reading the info on the park wi-fi it always seems to say it supports specific service providers (t-mobile, verizon, etc). Does anyone know if UK phones work on the free resort and/or park wi-fi? I've got an HTC Desire on Virgin network and wasn't going to take it as I doubt I would use it much and don't want to risk losing it but if there is free wi-fi available that will work on my phone then I would use it for the Disney apps that I have, obviously turning off all roaming so I don't get any charges. Has anyone used a UK phone with the free wi-fi?
JulieBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

It does.

Some of our DISers are out there at the moment and have been using the wifi.

Wifi doesn't work through a network so as long as your phone is wifi capbable, you will be able to connect and use it
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
JulieBarlow
Mouseketeer

Thankyou, that's what I thought but it confused me when it started saying it supported specific networks, wondered if they were doing like the openzone where you have to be on a specific network to connect to it. That's great news then, I will take my phone and turn off everything that could possibly cost me money and just use it for wi-fi! So much for promising the kids I wouldn't use computers or phones this holiday!!!
JulieBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieBarlow View Post

Thankyou, that's what I thought but it confused me when it started saying it supported specific networks, wondered if they were doing like the openzone where you have to be on a specific network to connect to it. That's great news then, I will take my phone and turn off everything that could possibly cost me money and just use it for wi-fi! So much for promising the kids I wouldn't use computers or phones this holiday!!!
I'm not planning to use mine a lot, but it will be nice to keep in touch with friends and family without adding money to my account to send texts. I will just turn off the network and roaming data so the handset works only through wifi. There is nothing that can't wait for a place to connect. We've done enough trips without it not to let it be an issue, but it is a nice extra to have for those times you want to check something. First time I really felt hard done by as an international guest was at a MNSSHP last year when I was trying to remember where to find specific characters from a thread that was running on the DIS. A guest behind me spotted my DIS tag on my bag and we started chatting and she just looked it up for me. I thought it rude that they got to check stuff like that and we needed to remortgage a property to pay for it
Old 09-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
diddldonna
DIS Veteran

My understanding is that you turn off the 3g and data roaming (for an iphone) before you board the plane and keep that off until you land and just keep wifi on, hope i am right.

Past WDW Vacations: 2013 OKW, 2010 OKW, 2007 ASM, 2005 ASM, 2004 off site.
diddldonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
laura_<3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddldonna View Post
My understanding is that you turn off the 3g and data roaming (for an iphone) before you board the plane and keep that off until you land and just keep wifi on, hope i am right.
That's what I was thinking too.
August 2005 - Indian Ridge Villas May 2009 - All Star Sports (Steven's first trip!)July 2011 - Royal Palms Villas July/August 2011 trip reportSeptember 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside September 2012 trip report July 2015 - Our Disney Wedding, Port Orleans Riverside
Engaged at Magic Kingdom 23rd September 2012 My Youtube Channel New - My wedding blog https://lauradisneybride.wordpress.com/
laura_<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
thestevied
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura_<3

That's what I was thinking too.
I'd also turn off email and notifications just to be extra safe... Just not worth risking the giant bill!
1st trip - July 1989 WDW, 2nd trip - Aug1993 WDW, 3rd trip - July 1997 Tokyo Disneyland, 4th trip - June 1999 WDW, 5th trip - Sept 2002 WDW, 6th trip - Sept 2003 WDW, 7th trip - Feb 2004 Euro Disney, 8th trip - Jan 2005 WDW, 9th trip - June 2005 WDW, 10th trip - Sept 2006 WDW, 11th trip - Sept 2007 WDW, 12th trip - Oct 2008 Disneyland, 13th trip - Sept 2009 WDW, 14th trip - Sept 2010 WDW AKL, 15th trip September 2011 - Dolphin resort, 16th trip - September 2013, Yacht Club, 17th trip - September 2014, Dolphin Resort

thestevied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

It's an Android-based phone, so either turn off data roaming AND packet data (disables the data network, you'll still be connected to the phone network) or pull the SIM card out - Android phones will work as mini computers without the SIM in, so you know without it you definitely won't be connecting up to the phone network running up charges!! Turn Wifi on, connect up to the appropriate hotspot / wifi net and away you go.
bazzanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzanoid View Post
It's an Android-based phone, so either turn off data roaming AND packet data (disables the data network, you'll still be connected to the phone network) or pull the SIM card out - Android phones will work as mini computers without the SIM in, so you know without it you definitely won't be connecting up to the phone network running up charges!! Turn Wifi on, connect up to the appropriate hotspot / wifi net and away you go.
This is the second time in 2 days you have given me very useful information about a phone! You explained something regarding Blackberry to me the other day that I didn't know and having searched everywhere to find out how to turn off the network on my DD's new android (never had to deal with one of these before) and you've just answered the question nobody else could. In future I'm just going to PM you for rapid results
Old 09-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
This is the second time in 2 days you have given me very useful information about a phone! You explained something regarding Blackberry to me the other day that I didn't know and having searched everywhere to find out how to turn off the network on my DD's new android (never had to deal with one of these before) and you've just answered the question nobody else could. In future I'm just going to PM you for rapid results
What can I say? I'm a techy geek!!

Been in IT for years until very recently, I now fit carpets for a living. Not sure how I fell into it, but I enjoy it (great for weight loss!) and the money is good

Still keep up to date with the tech tho
Old 09-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
2Tiggies

Quote:
What can I say? I'm a techy geek!!

Been in IT for years until very recently, I now fit carpets for a living. Not sure how I fell into it, but I enjoy it (great for weight loss!) and the money is good

Still keep up to date with the tech tho
Well it's certainly been a huge benefit to me! I can't tell you how many hours I have spent searching online to find how to disable my 10 year old's network in case she makes accidental calls. She's not had the phone that long and I still get the occasional missed call and hear her on the other end in a flap "Oh no I phoned someone and I don't know how to end the call .... " Feel free in the UK my child, but don't ya dare in the US
Old 09-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Feel free in the UK my child, but don't ya dare in the US
Hahahaha.... pull the SIM card the second you land in the US. Seriously.

What phone model is it?

Old 09-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
2Tiggies

Quote:
Hahahaha.... pull the SIM card the second you land in the US. Seriously.

What phone model is it?

It's a very very basic model - Galaxy Mini

I know my way around BB as I've had various models of the years but was clueless with Android. I may just pull it out on the plane. That's usually when I make sure all my data and network are off (BB - at least the one I have now - does not have a dedicated flight mode option, but you can deselect the various radios individually)
Old 09-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

A SIM card is VERY easy to lose, so in that case you might prefer this way, especially as the Mini's SIM card is under the battery as I remember....:

Activate Flight Mode (just before you leave the UK). You can do this by activating the main screen (i.e. not screen off or locked), hold down the power button and you'll get a menu pop up. IIRC the third option is Flight Mode.

Then pull down the notification bar from the top of the screen (by literally pulling it down) and tap the Wi-Fi button). Grab the bottom of the bar and push it back up. Job done.

When you get back to the UK, reverse the procedure
Old 09-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
2Tiggies

Quote:
A SIM card is VERY easy to lose, so in that case you might prefer this way, especially as the Mini's SIM card is under the battery as I remember....:

Activate Flight Mode (just before you leave the UK). You can do this by activating the main screen (i.e. not screen off or locked), hold down the power button and you'll get a menu pop up. IIRC the third option is Flight Mode.

Then pull down the notification bar from the top of the screen (by literally pulling it down) and tap the Wi-Fi button). Grab the bottom of the bar and push it back up. Job done.

When you get back to the UK, reverse the procedure
You're a gem!! Thank you sooooooo much!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: