Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #16
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post
Joining in! Your choices sound like a lot of fun, especially with all those snack credits! I could really go for one of those cream cheese pretzels right about now!
Welcome!

WDW Polynesian (August 2012)
WDW All Star Movies (August 2006)
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort (December 1996)
WDW Off-Property (December 1992)

DDP Review
Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)
[URL="http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998041&highlight=picky+eaters"]

Disney World - August 2012 - Trip Report
Picky Eaters, Sore Feet, Hurricanes...After 6 Yrs Nothing will get in our way!
Emteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #17
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Day 1 and Day 2

So I will not bore you with the details of McDonalds. That food does not earn a full post or pictures. We had McD's the night before our flight (got our whole meal for under $15 near Detroit airport) and then had lunch at the airport. I lied because the adults had food from... the name escapes me but it is a popular restaurant in the US (at the airport). My dad had wings and my mum and I shared a artichoke dip with fried chips - both were actually very yummy.

Alright, now onto what you readers are looking for, DISNEY FOOD!

So Day 2 was our first park day. We managed to get to the Polynesian around noon (after some "issues" with the outside of Disney hotels transportation). We checked in, went to our room and then got going. Our first day would be in the Magic Kingdom.

We grabbed lunch at Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe and it was a decent meal. I did not get pictures of everyones food as my mum and I couldnt find everyone else in the crowd. We eventually did meet up with them but they were almost done their meals. They had all ordered Chicken Nuggets. My sister and dad enjoyed their (they ordered from the adult menu) but Jett hated his! He ordered from the kids menu and his chicken were these round little hockey puck like things. He ended up eating fries and sharing some of my sisters nuggets. Note: If you are on the DDP you can order from the adult menu for kids (at the counter service restaurants) - they just take a credit off, are not specific to kids or adults.

My mum and I ordered burgers. My mums was the 1/3 pound Bacon Cheeseburger and mine was the Vegetable Burger (actual veggies, not soy, which was the same throughout Disney - at least the burgers that I had). Both burgers were quite yummy and I loved the topping bar (your basic lettuce, tomato and condiments but also fried mushrooms, onions and cheese sauce). The cheese sauce was good, used for the fries since they were quite bland but it went cold really quickly.
For dessert we had the chocolate cake and carrot cake. Both were good, nothing to sing praises about but good.

Bacon Cheeseburger

Vegetable Burger

Dinner
At dinner we ventured to the Grand Floridian for 1900 Park Fare. We loved the character interaction (especially Lady Tremaine and Anastasia; Cinderella and Prince Charming were eh...). The food however did not blow us away. We only grabbed a couple of pictures; a lot of the food was cold and there were no Chicken Nuggets (despite every menu we looked at saying there was). So Amber ate a bun with butter and about 6 fries. For the meat eaters there was the typical fares (chicken and I think a roast) - I am told both were pretty bland. Veggie options for me were few and far between (the salad bar was pretty good mind you). The dessert bar was good as well but didnt have a ton of options.
Overall, we would recommend for the characters but I wouldnt go out of my way for the food.

Next up Day 3 and the Sci-Fi for some out of this world dining!

DDP Review
Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)
[URL="http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998041&highlight=picky+eaters"]

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

I'm in - great reviews

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #19
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
I'm in - great reviews
Thanks and welcome aboard!

DDP Review

Old 09-04-2012, 03:34 AM   #20
poohangel
Yeah I Dis, Doesn't everybody?

We did not care for the dinner at 1900 park fare either. We do eat at Cosmic Rays on every trip and I always get the roasted chicken. I love it.

poohangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #21
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Roasted chicken, that sounds like something my family would have liked. Must have missed that. Thanks for joining in!

DDP Review

Old 09-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #22
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

Your snack reviews are making me hungry. I need to go find a dole whip.

I've eaten at 98 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (40%)
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #23
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess View Post
Your snack reviews are making me hungry. I need to go find a dole whip.
I know, I was so uninspired by what we have in our fridge lol! They should sell Dole Whips somewhere!

DDP Review

Old 09-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #24
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Day 3 -Sci Fi

So... have some free time now, siblings are back at school but I have not starting working yet so thought I would shoot out some out of this world dining.

On day 3 we decided to enjoy the Sci-Fi Restaurant. We ate there on our last Disney holiday and loved it but have since heard some terrible reviews. Well... let me tell you; this was one of our favourite meals, both for the atmosphere and the food. We also had an awesome waiter who was so acoomodating to the Queen of Nuggets!

I will start with the front of the car, my dad and sister. Amber ordered chicken nuggets from the kids menu which came with two sides -she ordered fries and more fries. I believe they were the hockey puck chicken but she didnt mind. So long as they are breaded circles she usually is good. Our waiter also let her order a milkshake, even though her meal was a kids one. She also got an extra milkshake to go for dessert.

My dad ordered the Angus Chuck Double Bacon Cheeseburger (that is a mouthful). He really enjoyed, was cooked well done - perfectly for him. He said it had good flavour and the fries were not bland (just needed some vinegar - they didnt have white vinegar). He also ordered a milkshake for his drink and for his dessert (to go).

My mum ordered the Rib-Eye Steak. She ordered it medium-well and again it was cooked just to her liking. She said the red wine sauce was really nice as well and added good flavour. The vegetables that came with it were tasty and not too mushy, she mentioned that the potatoes were a little bit cold but still tasted good. My mum ordered flavoured pop (tried both the vanilla and cherry - she prefered the vanilla).

My brother and I were in the back row. Jett ordered the kids Hot Dog and Fries. It was one of his favourite meals and he ate every last bite. For dessert he enjoyed the ice cream sundae.

Finally my meal. I ordered the Oreo milkshake for my beverage - I was able to drink about 1/2 since a certain backseat passenger also enjoyed. For my dinner I had Shrimp Pasta. It was a huge portion and had SO much shrimp (you can see from the picture). So often "Shrimp" pastas have like 3 of those little frozen things in them but this was delicious. It was a wee bit cold - I was going to have our waiter bring back but I didnt really want to have to wait for it to be reheated since I was really hungry. For dessert I had the Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake to go. It was good but I think I would have enjoyed much more if I had eaten it while we were there (as I had to eat it cold). No microwaves in the Poly?

Well ttfn and looking forward to seeing your comments

DDP Review

Old 09-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #25
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

Nice reviews! I'm looking forward to trying Sci-Fi for the first time in January!

butiflfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #26
deenbrad
DIS Veteran

Wow that's a lot of shrimp! I hate when they only give you a few!
off-site many times 1989-2009 (including half of our honeymoon in 1996!), Pop Century May 2011
deenbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #27
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by butiflfeet View Post
Nice reviews! I'm looking forward to trying Sci-Fi for the first time in January!
Welcome! It was a really fun experience, enjoy

DDP Review

Old 09-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #28
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deenbrad View Post
Wow that's a lot of shrimp! I hate when they only give you a few!
I know. Three of those little, tiny, frozen shrimps should not be considered at Shrimp Pasta. There was so much and it was real tasting shrimp with actual flavour.

DDP Review

Old 09-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #29
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emteach View Post
Dinner
At dinner we ventured to the Grand Floridian for 1900 Park Fare. We loved the character interaction (especially Lady Tremaine and Anastasia; Cinderella and Prince Charming were eh...). The food however did not blow us away. We only grabbed a couple of pictures; a lot of the food was cold and there were no Chicken Nuggets (despite every menu we looked at saying there was). So Amber ate a bun with butter and about 6 fries. For the meat eaters there was the typical fares (chicken and I think a roast) - I am told both were pretty bland. Veggie options for me were few and far between (the salad bar was pretty good mind you). The dessert bar was good as well but didnt have a ton of options.
Overall, we would recommend for the characters but I wouldnt go out of my way for the food.!
Following along with your review - loved our free dining as well

Interesting how everyone has so many different opinions on a restaurant - we really enjoyed the food at 1900 Park Fare. I booked it for the characters expecting boring, bland food. The characters were meh. The restaurant was SO loud and noisy we could barely hear what they were saying and Lady Tremaine and the stepsisters didn't ham it up too much with us. No big deal though but I won't book it for the characters again.

On the other hand - the food was unexpectedly good. I really enjoyed the variety of salad choices. I was in heaven with the chicken curry as I love Indian food and don't get it very often. It was also fun to see sushi there. My DD adored the pizza and bypassed her favorite steak in favor of it. I took a bite...she was right...it was good pizza! DH was craving fruit by now (our 12th day of DDP!) and spent a ton of time at the fruit bar and was a very happy camper saying the place had the best fruit selection of all the buffets we'd been to (er...it was your traditional fruits with some whole oranges thrown in? I think he was just missing oranges!). The bread pudding was very good - nice traditional bread pudding. I also enjoyed the pastry on the fruit tart and the cheesecake.

Despite not caring a whole lot for the characters or the ridiculous noise in the place - we enjoyed our dinner and were happy we chose it. Don't think we'll go out of our way to go back - but it was a very good choice for us.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #30
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Welcome to another August Dis'er! Yeah for Free DDP For sure, depends on what you are looking for. I agree, thought the salad selection was good; also agree it was quite noisy.
I think it may depend on the day (heard that the buffets vary with what they serve). Glad that you had a good dining experience though.
The rest for us, overall, were pretty great

DDP Review

Tags
chicken nuggets, ddp, dining review, food pictures

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: