Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #31
TheNewMrsB
DIS Veteran

That pasta does look yummy! I had something similar when we ate there a few years ago and I remember being impressed with the shrimp, too.

Isn't it a crime how subpar "regular" food seems when you first get home? And getting used to not having dessert with every meal is tough, too!

Jen & Rob's Not-So-Scary Deluxe Dining Report

1988 - First Visit, September 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 - Polynesian, December 2012 - Christmas at the Polynesian
TheNewMrsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #32
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Agree, had frozen fish for lunch and almost cried lol
Jett is quite confused as to why he is not getting an ice cream sundae or chocolate cake after each meal - he claims it simply isnt fair.
I miss Disney food

WDW Polynesian (August 2012)
WDW All Star Movies (August 2006)
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort (December 1996)
WDW Off-Property (December 1992)

DDP Review
Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)
[URL="http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998041&highlight=picky+eaters"]

Disney World - August 2012 - Trip Report
Picky Eaters, Sore Feet, Hurricanes...After 6 Yrs Nothing will get in our way!
Emteach is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #33
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewMrsB View Post
That pasta does look yummy! I had something similar when we ate there a few years ago and I remember being impressed with the shrimp, too.

Isn't it a crime how subpar "regular" food seems when you first get home? And getting used to not having dessert with every meal is tough, too!
Just took a sneak peak at your pre-trip dining report. Looks great. Oh, that Tonga toast!

DDP Review
Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)
[URL="http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998041&highlight=picky+eaters"]

Old 09-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #35
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
What is better than shrimp and pasta? I have many of those types of meals in WDW and the plate was always loaded with shrimp...yum!
I was very impressed. We had read some reviews that werent great so we were very pleased it was such a good meal.
Agree shrimp and pasta is delish!

DDP Review

Old 09-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #36
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - Electric Umbrella and Sunshine Seasons

Hello again everyone!

On Day 4 we headed over to Epcot for the Day. Day 4 rained, a lot, like rain I have never seen before (courtesy of Hurricane Issac) - I know it could have been much worse so thankful it was just rain. We just wore our handy, dandy ponchos - my dad initially I guess thought he was too cool for ponchos but his tune soon changed.

For our lunch on Day 4 we had a later lunch split up. My mum, Jett and I ate at Sunshine Seasons while my dad and Amber managed to go to Electric Umbrella without getting too wet.

At Electric Umbrella my dad and Amber got surprise, surprise some chicken nuggets. They both claimed that these are the best on property and had more than once! The nuggets were tender, the fries were hot and the portions were very large. Both had the Chocolate Chips cookies and enjoyed. While I did not take a photo of their food I did snap one of the billboard and it ACTUALLY looks like the real thing.

My mum, Jett and I ate at Sunshine Seasons. As a vegetarian and foodie I absolutely LOVE this place. There are so many unique options, although I heard a number of people complain about their childrens choices (I thought they were okay but there were only 2 options for non-adventurous eaters - smuckers uncrustables (which I had never heard of here in Canada) and homemade mac and cheese). Wow, all my English teachers would kill me there - that was what we call a run on sentence! :P

I'll start with the easiest. Jett enjoyed a cup of Mac and Cheese. He said it was D-Licious, very cheesy and hot (he does not like his pasta even luke warm). I only took a picture of his, half eaten, Mac and Cheese but he got a yogurt and chocolate chip cookie for dessert.

My mum ordered the Turkey and Monterey Jack on a Panini with a side of chips and Tiramasu for dessert. She said it was one of the best meals from our trip. The chipotle mayonaise added a nice "zip" without making it spicy. It also had a large amount of turkey on it and the panini was huge!

I ordered the Oak Grilled Vegetable Flatbread Sandwich with a side of Potato salad and a strawberry shortcake. It was by far THE best Grilled Veg. Sandwich I have ever had! I believe it had portabello mushrooms, grilled eggplant and roasted red pepper (along with a large amount of feta cheese). The flavours were great and again the portion was huge. I ended up sharing my Strawberry Shortcake with the Jett (seems to be a theme on this trip). It was also yummy - the cake was moist (didnt taste like it had been sitting) and the strawberries were fresh tasting!
They also had Simply Orange Juice which was an added bonus

I would definately recommend Sunshine Seasons! A little more expensive than the typical CS (for those not on DDP) but I say well worth it for the portions and quality of food.
Up next our dining adventure in Norway later in the day! Uh oh... no chicken nuggets!

DDP Review

Last edited by Emteach; 09-05-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #37
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Forgot to mention about the Potato Salad. I dont know exactly how to describe it. It was very good though - the potatoes were perfectly cooked and there were red onions (my favourite vegetable - I could eat them everyday) and there was an oil type dressing on top.

DDP Review

Old 09-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #38
disneymom1229
Mouseketeer

Loving reading your reviews!! Especially the dole whip one!! I tried one for the first time this trip and went back for like three more!! Definitely a must do for me now.
I had to laugh when I read about your rain experience in Epcot. We were there at the same time and I can totally identify with it!! We got soaked a couple of times due to Isaac.

Keep the reviews coming...

What will you Celebrate?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
disneymom1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #39
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom1229 View Post
Loving reading your reviews!! Especially the dole whip one!! I tried one for the first time this trip and went back for like three more!! Definitely a must do for me now.
I had to laugh when I read about your rain experience in Epcot. We were there at the same time and I can totally identify with it!! We got soaked a couple of times due to Isaac.

Keep the reviews coming...
I know, I agree they are heavenly lol. I only wish we had discovered them earlier. I only wish they sold them outside of Disney property. I was tempted to add some Dole pineapple juice to some DQ soft serve to make the float but dont think it will be quite the same

Ah, were you in Epcot that day? Seemed a LOT of people were in Epcot that day.

DDP Review

Old 09-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #40
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

I love Mickey pretzels. With or without cream cheese!! Great pictures!

My grandson, 7 is a chicken nugget eater also. He will eat the adult cheese pizza at pizza planet or pizzafari, so we buy him one out of pocket at those spots. My younger grandson is a bit less picky, but not much!

I hate that the kid meal chicken nuggets are not the same as the adults, as they are very good. That means that there are many times I end up eating chicken nuggets, to share with my grandson.

Also love the strawberry shortcake at Sunshine seasons! We usually end up eating in 'the world', but I have been known to sneak in a piece of shortcake a time or two.

Looking forward to more!

Last edited by ShortStuff; 09-06-2012 at 12:10 AM.
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #41
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

Oh, I know a lady who was obsessed with dole whips. She bought the mis and an ice cream maker and used to make her own. It wasn't exactly the same, as she used the ice cream maker, but she said she loved it.

http://www.uec-hawaii.com/products2....FULptgod2EQA9w
Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #42
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortStuff View Post
Oh, I know a lady who was obsessed with dole whips. She bought the mis and an ice cream maker and used to make her own. It wasn't exactly the same, as she used the ice cream maker, but she said she loved it.

http://www.uec-hawaii.com/products2....FULptgod2EQA9w
Love that lol. Good thought

The kids chicken nuggets are aweful, obviously I didnt try any but they looked pretty unimpressive. Was glad with the DDP that we could order the adult chicken.

DDP Review

Old 09-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #43
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Day 4 Continued - Akershus - Norway

Alright,
So this next restaurant was my pick and not everyone was thrilled as they thought it would be "weird" food.

When we arrived we got our pictures taken with Belle (which are included in the meal unlike at 1900 Park Fare and Chef Mickeys). Both the picture of Amber and Jett, as well as a 2nd with our whole family were brought to our family in lovely frames during out meal!

Akershus is unique in the fact that it has an appetizer buffet in addition to their menu. I did forget to take pictures of our plate but some of the items that were included were; soft breads, green salads, pasta salads, beet salad, about 3 types of meat, about 3 types of cheese (more unique types as well not a block of marble), cold fish (I believe there was salmon, shimp, pickled herring), marinated asperagus and a fruit assortment.

My mum, dad and I all had a great assortment, Jett made himself some little sandwiches and Amber ate a bun (this started the fun, note the sarcasm).

For our dinner my dad ordered the Seared Herb-Dusted Beef Tips. He didnt really like them, although he did finish most of his plate. He said the flavour was unusual and he didnt enjoy the beans (claimed they were a bit undercooked, I tried one however and they tasted fine to me).

My mum ordered the Grilled Pork Tenderloin. She said the pork was well seasoned and moist. The sauce also added a nice tang. The potato was yummy and the green beans (which she is usually not a fan of) were perfectly cooked with just a little bit of crunch in them. See to each is own The one thing she wasnt too sure about were the two small "aliens" in the corner. They were likely olives? (if anyone knows for sure please do tell) but they were this strange blue tinge and looked very unappealing.

I had the Chefs Catch of the Day (which was cod, if I remember correctly). It was perfectly cooked, had great flavours and the vegetables and tomato with it were really great as well. The only thing that I was not fond of was the capers on top. I am not a fan of capers so put them on the side of my plate.

Jett ordered the Kids Cheese Pizza. He ate almost all of it (even after the sandwiches) so that is generally a sign it tasted good!

Now onto the person who made dinner... interesting. Akershus does not have chicken nuggets, fingers or any form of breaded chicken so Amber was not too pleased. She ended up ordering the Grilled Chicken, by itself and the picture below shows clearly how she felt about it.

Yes, that is a steak knife stabbing the chicken. I think she really wanted to try but anyone with someone in their house beyond picky knows that is not always possible. At that point (with all the pricesses circling and the waitress asking if anything was wrong with the chicken) she started to tear up (she said she was embarrased). Our first Princess to visit was Snow White and bless her! She sensed that something was wrong with Amber and started trying to cheer her up. When that didnt work Snow White took Amber by the hand and brought her over to the cold buffet where she gave her a little pep talk - saying even if she didnt like all the food (Snow White is apparently not a fan of Ariel`s food choices) she should still enjoy herself and that way she would have more room for dessert. We didnt hear this conversation but Amber filled us in and Snow White made her feel SO much better. You, Snow White are the best. She even came back later in our meal to ask if Amber was enjoying herself. Many people may have just thought ``what a brat`` and move on but Snow really seemed to get her and went out of her way to ensure we all enjoyed our time at Akershus.

Below is a picture we snapped of the pep talk between Amber and Snow White. My mum was of course tearing up at this point so photocredits to me lol.

Finally, onto dessert and the best part of the meal!
Dessert included a chocolate mouse, rice cream and a puff pasty with marscarpone cheese and berries. Dessert was Heavenly. My favourite was the rice cream, my mum the puff pastry and everyone else the chocolate mouse (which was SO rich). They brought out 2 plates and we finished about three quarters of it!

Whew! All done Akershus. Up next..... Animal Kingdom and Restaurant-saurus!

DDP Review

Old 09-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #44
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

Yummm, your fish looks really good, but I am not a capers fan either. Your Moms pork looks yummy also! Are those tiny onions in the corner?

It amazes me how picky kids will just not eat, rather than have the one or two things they will eat. I hope Amber found some yummy chicken nuggets later.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #45
Roma
Mouseketeer

Akerhus is really one of my favorite character meals. Both times I've gone I've ordered the Norwegian meatballs (Traditional Kjottkake) and was apt to burst both times because I could not. stop. eating them. I also love their dessert plate. I totally agree that the rice cream is delicious and I've never met a chocolate mousse I didn't like. All your dishes look great to me!

Serious kudos to your parents for handling such a picky child. If one of my siblings only ate chicken nuggets I would probably lose it! I can handle some pickiness but I have a hard time having patience with people who will only eat one (maybe two) things .

Tags
chicken nuggets, ddp, dining review, food pictures

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: