Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 01:36 AM   #16
Melbourne5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvel
I am still facing this dilemma. Qantas is $120 dearer, so $480 for the 4 of US, so I am now leaning towards Virgin.

But we would have to add two days for the trip meaning losing two days of pay since DW can only take leave without pay, so its a push. Now I like having the extra two days to add to the holiday, so now I am more confused than when I started.

Does virgin depart LA from the same terminal as Qantas?
It departs lax but not the same terminal. All but one Qantas flight depart TBIT ( international flights only from memory and the biggest and busiest terminal) . Virgin use T5for arrival and T3 For departures. It's a multipurpose domestic / international terminal with not a great deal in it. There is a VA lounge though if you have access. It is smaller so can be less busy . Comparing arr/ dep from both Qantas and VA I would go VA due to the smaller terminal and again from memory we were the only international flight arr/ dep so made it much quicker for getting away.
2010 Operation California & Vegas DLR (Grand Californian)+San Diego+ Las Vegas
2009 Operation USA DLR (Sheraton)
Melbourne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #17
marvel
DIS Veteran

Thanks for that. How is virgin with seat allocation? can you choose ahead of time? I know Qantas charges $20 to pick a seat earlier.

I am now considering switching to a Velocity credit card if we book with virigin. You seem to be in the know Melb5, is there one credit card that you use for virgin? Currently i am with Westpac Altitude which is around 1.5 pts per dollar, when you transfer the points to velocity.

Last edited by marvel; 09-18-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: -
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #18
Luisa
Mouseketeer

I'm doing a Virgin/Delta code share, with both I could choose my seat but I honestly can't remember if Virgin charged $10 or $20. I know the Delta part was $150 but that's just because I chose to come home economy comfort.
Dec '99 & Dec '05 - Disneyland, Oct '08 - Disneyland Hong Kong, Dec '09 - WDW, 2011 - turned 40 at Disneyland in January!, Dec '11 - Tokyo Disneyland, Dec '12 WDW & Disneyland, Nov 2013 Return to Disneyland!, Nov/Dec 2015 -my mums first Disney experience - both coasts!
Luisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #19
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran

Virgin international flights no extra fee to preselect seat EXCEPT for V Promo flights-not sure what they charge then as our last flight obviously wasn't a Promo fare? ('*** we didn't pay or policy's changed since we flew).

We did trip last year first time with Virgin and are more converts though I would still go with flight times/convenience and price as decider but now with distinct bias towards Virgin. (Also really liked Air NZ a couple of years ago). With Virgin on any fare you do still pay extra if you want the seats with extra leg room. Don't know about benefits for Velocity members.
TR Exploration Europe

Me DH DD:

Aussie Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #20
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran

Now why did my abbreviation get blanked? * obviously*
TR Exploration Europe

Me DH DD:

Aussie Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #21
Melbourne5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvel
Thanks for that. How is virgin with seat allocation? can you choose ahead of time? I know Qantas charges $20 to pick a seat earlier.

I am now considering switching to a Velocity credit card if we book with virigin. You seem to be in the know Melb5, is there one credit card that you use for virgin? Currently i am with Westpac Altitude which is around 1.5 pts per dollar, when you transfer the points to velocity.
I am a velocity ( platinum) so get seat selection included so unsure if there are charges for other tiers or non members sorry. And I still use westpac altitude that goto Qantas ff. I am stuck with this for another 10 mths before I review again as I paid the stupid annual card fee.sorry not much help on either q....
2010 Operation California & Vegas DLR (Grand Californian)+San Diego+ Las Vegas
2009 Operation USA DLR (Sheraton)
Melbourne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #22
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran

We are flying Virgin next month and I have paid $20 per person per flight to choose our seats. I only wish I had seen the tip from Melbourne5 earlier and I would have booked the seats near the baby carriers just in case of an upgrade!

At least I will know for next time
Old 09-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #23
marvel
DIS Veteran

thanks again, i am still hesitant to make the switch to virgin. But they are the only ones with a good price that match our dates. Now i am wondering whether to hang on for some further specials to come out.

I think i have been spoiled with good deals previously and now hestitate to pay $1300 for a flight. although it doesnt get much better than $1200 these days. unless you fly united, which i wont do ever. well, maybe for half price.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #24
abuzzfanfromaustral
Earning My Ears

Just travelled on VA

Hi just flew to Los Angeles on sept19 with VA found the airline to be very good
We were travelling on to Orlando and found the customs hall to be small although our flight was the only one at that time.We were seated at the back of the plane so this meant that we had to wait in line for a while.we sat at the back of the plane because thats where DW likes to sit(i have no idea why.)The flight landed half a hour a head of time.We found the transfer to be easy and easily made our connection to atlanta.We travelled with Delta so bags and boarding passes all done by Virgin Australia in Sydney.just collect bags go thru customs and put them in at the transfer desk outside of custom hall.I think that the price would be the big decider for us.As any difference between VA and
Qantas is minor.
abuzzfanfromaustral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #25
marvel
DIS Veteran

awesome great to have a recent review.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: