Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #16
JaymeC
Mouseketeer

Our bare bones minimum, meaning no saving for anything and no splurges at all would be about 2k. That's just the cost we would need to house, feed, and clothe us and provide essentials. We're living off of about $800 per month more than that right now, and things are tight, but we're also making the sacrifice of having dh back in school to finish his degree so we're only at one income. And we've lived frugally enough in the past that we've got quite a savings to fall back on if there is an emergency. I think our 'comfort' area is about 4k/month. And that's for 2 adults/2 kids. I don't think that area is as important as the household number. Dh and I lived very comfortably off about 2k/month in Southern California when it was just two of us. Those darn kids are expensive!
Old 09-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #17
rainynight
Mouseketeer

Barebones would be about $2500.
rainynight is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #18
fitzy819
Mouseketeer

I would say around $3500. We don't have kids either but the cost of living here is pretty high. Our rent alone is $1400 a month.

If we had to we could always cut back on many things and make it cheaper but if we're looking at barebones without cutting back that's what I would guess. I'm shocked ppl could do less than $1000!
fitzy819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #19
HoosierDaddy71
Mouseketeer

To stay at the current level of comfort we would need about $2500/month to cover the mortgage, food, transportation, key utilities (electric, phone, internet). That would require cutting some things (gym membership, satellite, cell phone) but nothing extreme.

In pure survival mode, about $700/month. That covers basically just food and transportation. It would require moving in with family.

The reality is that we all adjust our lives to the income level.

Next trip - 10/2013 Off property
Previous trips:
10/2012 - CBR
10/2010 - Off property
11/1999 - Off property
7/1987 - Off property
HoosierDaddy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #20
Dizisfun
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummer925 View Post
Around $1000 - probably less if I really made it bare-bones!! Yea - I bet we could survive on about $800 a month!

$3000 a month - holy moly!! Not trying to judge at ALL but that is a HUGE amount of income for being "bare bones". It's more than we've ever made in our lives!!

Wow, Wish we could survive on $800 a month. (your house must be paid for) It's just 2 of us and I have to say including rent, car payment, utilities, etc. that we couldn't live on less than $2500 to $3000 a month. Our rent alone is $1150 a month....
Old 09-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #21
mrodgers
DIS Veteran

Since the OP mentioned not cutting cable or phones out, I tallied up just bills and it came to $3100. This includes heating oil and car insurance which are not monthly bills but are calculated to monthly average. This does not include any maintenance on cars, clothing, or any variable expenses that do not happen monthly. Includes only the monthly utility bills, mortgage, gas, groceries, etc.

Anything extra we spend in either expenses or luxuries come from overtime pay or extra overbudget of my wife's paycheck.

Those saying $1000/month, our gasoline for getting to work would be 60% of that number already. Groceries would be the only thing covered under that $1000 and we buy little snacks and even raise our own beef in the family.

It would change here in a few months as the car payment will be finished and this will be the first time we've ever been without a car payment. From here on out, it will be saving up and buying used cars in cash since both cars are new enough not to have one needing replaced after the other is paid off. Then again, that doesn't fall into this thread because there wouldn't be any money to save to buy a car.

Sayng all that, no one could survive on anything laid out in the way of this thread because there is always something that happens. Kids need clothes, houses and cars need maintained and repairs. You go crazy having 0 fun and luxuries.
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #22
plummer925
Find us on Facebook: 1765 Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizisfun View Post
Wow, Wish we could survive on $800 a month. (your house must be paid for) It's just 2 of us and I have to say including rent, car payment, utilities, etc. that we couldn't live on less than $2500 to $3000 a month. Our rent alone is $1150 a month....
Yes, the house is mortgage-free (I mentioned that in a later post)...we live in a high tax area (historical 1765 farmhouse 25 feet from a river so water views) so we do have that, and insurance and upkeep.

I also updated to say that my bare-bones budget would be $908, not $800 - I COULD do $800 but I don't want to cut out some things that make life nice - my pets, internet and phone.

I do not have children (that probably really helps with cost!) - we live on 3 1/4 acres so we try to grow and can our own food as much as possible. I have hens for eggs.

But I also tithe 10% of my income and have heat expense (live in Maine), which is included in the $908.

Right now we have more than that monthly (maybe twice as much) and life is comfortable. But I do know I'd be perfectly content with under $1000.
plummer925 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #23
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Interesting question. If push came to shove -- I'm thinking job loss or other significant need -- we could live for a time on well under $1000. This assumes that we need to take care of our necessities, but we are willing to sacrafice luxuries short-term 'til we can get back on our feet.

My husband and I have talked about this numerous times: Every couple years he's threatened with a lay-off, and when we were younger and had fewer resources and small children it used to scare us badly. So we'd talk about how -- if we were suddenly to find ourselves on my teacher's salary only -- how we could slash our expenses to the bone. This is also one of the reasons we have saved so aggressively over the years; now when he says, "It's that time again", neither of us panics like we used to.

- We own our home outright, and our utilities run $400/month -- that assumes we'd get rid of cable TV but not internet, which costs almost nothing and provides inexpensive communication.
- It assumes we'd keep our cell phones because we don't have a house phone, and doing without communication altogether isn't realistic. We already have basic plans.
- Our cars are paid for, but we do need gas, maintenance, and other upkeep. If this imaginary situation lasted long, we'd get rid of all but one car, and that would save money, even without a car payment. At worst, I do work only 1.5 miles from home, and I am capable of walking.
- We have significant food stored in our home, so we could make do with a small grocery trip each week for milk, bread and eggs. If we were really hurting financially we would "make do" with eating lots of beans and cornbread until things improved. Luxury items like beer, cookies, soda would disappear from our table 'til the crisis was over. We would monitor food more closely than we do now: that is, we'd save every scrap of leftover for end-of-the-week soup, etc.
- Obviously this means we wouldn't be buying new clothes or other optional items. We have teenagers, so they aren't growing and could "make do" with the jeans, coats and shoes they already have.
- We pay our car insurance yearly in July and our property taxes in December; however, our taxes are reasonable, and I'm assuming I could pay those out of my savings, which I wouldn't be touching. I would cut back drastically on day-to-day expenses before I'd touch savings.
- Likewise, I have a college student, but we are paying her expenses out of savings, so I'm not including her tuition in our monthly needs.
- I'd assume about $100 for medication that my husband needs. We usually have a couple doctor's visits every winter during strep throat season. I'm assuming that I'd still have my medical insurance, and that would make office visits $30 each. Still, medical needs could prove to be a wildcard in this super-tight budget.
- If we were forced into super-savings mode, I would cancel things like our already-paid beach trip for Thanksgiving, and that'd put about $600 back into my pocket. I'd cash in my credit card rewards points (which I currently save to buy restaurant gift cards for vacations, etc.), and I"d look to see where else I might have small rewards coming.
- I'd search the attic and closets for Christmas presents, and I could do a small creative Christmas for my kids with very little outlay.

Clearly, we couldn't keep this number up indefinitely. We would eventually have to replace clothing, our paid-for car, etc. But we could live on $1000/month for at least a year before we'd have to dip into our savings.

However, I'm glad that this is a hypothetical question because I don't really want to live this way. I would do it before I'd go into debt. We'd probably become tired of this lifestyle in a big hurry, but that'd motivate us to solve whatever problem we had and get back to our normal, comfortable level.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #24
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

I just did our calculation (without cutting any of the luxuries we currently have: cel phone, satelitte tv, xm radio, internet, subscriptions, etc) we are at $3100 per month.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #25
Couchy
DIS Veteran

We pay $650 monthly in property taxes along and that is with a 1700 sq ft house with about 1/3 acre so not a lot of property! Add the mortgage and mandatory flood insurance and home insurance and we pay another 1100 a month so we are already looking at 1750 a month just in housing and taxes.

all expenses now add up to about 4200 a month if we had to cut back we could probably get down to about 3200 a month

4 trips as a kid.2002-Westgate, 2004 -Hilton DTD, 2005 -Westgate, 2007 -Royal Sun DTD, 2008 Hilton DTD, April 2011 -Swan, Dec 2011-Dolphin/ Yacht Club , Feb 2012 -Solo@Swan , April 2012-Dolphin with our friends, june/july 2012 - Beach Club
Couchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #26
Judique
DIS Veteran

About $4000 a month.

I could eliminate some of this by ceasing to pay for some of my kids' bills.

My mortgage will be paid soon, so that will make a significant decrease also.

It costs a lot to live comfotably.
Judique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #27
scottmel
Does my logic in my original question make sense
I need to see it in a new light I guess

We have no morgage anymore and no car payments but honestly you need to factor in your property tax bill, home insurance bill, car insurance bill - so on a monthly basis that is 600 right there. Just for insurance. Then cell phone, cable and lights and I am at 900 and haven't eaten a thing yet or bought a thing...

Even with no morgage etc. - EASILY 2k EASY!!! If not more...And I haven't even factored in DD's private tuition....I remember when we paid the morgage off (we did an aggressive 10 year plan!) I thought I would have sooo much extra money every month. Not really. I just put it into savings and college fund and left a few hundred extra a month for splurges or disney gift cards for future trips!!!!!! But my big spluge since paying off the morgage is staying club level every year.....but if we are talking getting by on bare bones, that would have to go!!!
DP
scottmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #28
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchy View Post
We pay $650 monthly in property taxes along and that is with a 1700 sq ft house with about 1/3 acre so not a lot of property! Add the mortgage and mandatory flood insurance and home insurance and we pay another 1100 a month so we are already looking at 1750 a month just in housing and taxes.

all expenses now add up to about 4200 a month if we had to cut back we could probably get down to about 3200 a month
I can't believe people pay those prices. My homeowners' insurance is a little over $1000/year (and my house is 50% larger than yours), and my property taxes are around $900 -- but I have a house here in the city and 40+ acres in the country on which I plan to build my retirement house. Admittedly, we have a farm discount on the country land.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #29
TinkPirateMom
DIS Veteran

$3100.00 would cover our mortgage and taxes and that's it

TinkPirateMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #30
forever11709
Mouseketeer

Our mortgage alone is 900 dollars so we would need at least 2k, I have also figured what I would need to survive on my own with my daughter without my husbands income. In that situation I could easily do it on less than 1000 month, but that's extremely bare bones and a worse case

Mommy Molly & Daddy (will I ever get him to go HOME with me?)

Molly's Trips -- July 2011 Beach Club October 2012 Beach Club October 2013 Yacht Club -- Will this child ever stay in a non-deluxe?!?!?!
forever11709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: