Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #1171
dad4dis
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info! Looks like we'll be changing our request.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #1172
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad4dis View Post
Thanks for the info! Looks like we'll be changing our request.
When are you going? what are you switching to??
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #1173
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
Tikiman just updated his page with dates of each longhouse's refurb. According to the site, Samoa will be under construction starting Feb. 3. Just a heads up on your request (the date for each longhouse's refurb is listed on their individual information page).
This is great news. Our trip is 1/24-1/31. I feel like I can still request Samoa.

Is that a good choice for our group? My elderly father will be joining us on this trip. He won't be going to the parks but I would like him to have fairly easy access to the main building.

Would you request Samoa, ground floor facing the volcano pool? Is that too specific? I think our kids would love to be close to the pool. I would love to have easy access in/out on the ground floor.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #1174
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

Sorry to serial post but I want to avoid the 2nd floor if we request Samoa. How would you phrase your request? I would prefer ground floor but if we can't get it I don't want to end up on the 2nd floor with no balcony OR patio.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #1175
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megsie1000 View Post
Sorry to serial post but I want to avoid the 2nd floor if we request Samoa. How would you phrase your request? I would prefer ground floor but if we can't get it I don't want to end up on the 2nd floor with no balcony OR patio.
For our last stay, I decided not to request a longhouse or location. I just requested "balcony or patio, please." When we arrived, the front desk CM asked which we would prefer. I said that we'd prefer a balcony, and that if it's possible to avoid a parking lot view (although they aren't even that bad.) We ended up with 3rd floor Samoa, facing the volcano pool. Loved it so much that I requested it again, but won't get my hopes up too high!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AOA/AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL/CR
Old 12-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #1176
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelinMan View Post
Anybody used the concierge service to book ADRs 180 days in advance? It would be less hassle for me to leave it to them, but I would like to know how reliable they are. Would I be better doing it myself (I would make sure I was online as soon as ADRs open for example - I cant see how the concierge service can do that unless they do it in advance).

I will be staying in the busy July period, so I know getting ADRs will be more difficult.
I'm usually a control freak, but since we started staying CL I've let IPO book our ADR's. I've had no problems at all. We always end up with everything we request, within 15 minutes of the time we've asked for.

That being said, we have always had to follow up on recreation requests, ie. golf tee times, cabana rentals ... we've always gotten our requests, but they've been bad about sending us confirmation emails for these things for some reason. Again, never a problem with dining reservations, just poor follow up with recreation (probably because that is booked separately)

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
We are staying at the poly from March 4-6 and have requested Samoa. Should I switch my request as refurb begins feb 3 and I doubt they will be done by then right?
We would like a balcony, close to monorail and pool so was recommended Samoa, anyone have any suggestions?
thanks
This is our first time staying onsite and I want it to be perfect as it took a lot of convincing to get dh to stay onsite and I want to keep staying onsite so this needs to go well....lol
It is a safe bet that Samoa won't be done in only a month, so you should probably change your request. A good alternative might be Figi. You can request "marina side" and this will give you a water view, even though the rooms are GV. The view will be of the little marina and you will probably be able to see part of the lagoon & the CR (not the castle though, and probably not the fireworks). It is very close to the GCH & pool. This is a picture of your possible view:
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megsie1000 View Post
This is great news. Our trip is 1/24-1/31. I feel like I can still request Samoa.

Is that a good choice for our group? My elderly father will be joining us on this trip. He won't be going to the parks but I would like him to have fairly easy access to the main building.

Would you request Samoa, ground floor facing the volcano pool? Is that too specific? I think our kids would love to be close to the pool. I would love to have easy access in/out on the ground floor.
I think Samoa is a great location for what you're looking for. I would word my request just like you have, but keep in mind you may not get everything you are asking for (they do their best to accommodate though). I have been told to request in order of importance, so the room assigner knows what is your priority, ie. if you want Samoa for sure, request that first, then what is next important, ie. ground floor or facing the volcano pool. If location is most important, but not necessarily Samoa specifically you could just request "first floor, near GCH". Most longhouses near the GCH are still going to put you near the volcano pool (though not necessarily right beside it)

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 GF
Old 12-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #1177
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm usually a control freak, but since we started staying CL I've let IPO book our ADR's. I've had no problems at all. We always end up with everything we request, within 15 minutes of the time we've asked for.

That being said, we have always had to follow up on recreation requests, ie. golf tee times, cabana rentals ... we've always gotten our requests, but they've been bad about sending us confirmation emails for these things for some reason. Again, never a problem with dining reservations, just poor follow up with recreation (probably because that is booked separately)

It is a safe bet that Samoa won't be done in only a month, so you should probably change your request. A good alternative might be Figi. You can request "marina side" and this will give you a water view, even though the rooms are GV. The view will be of the little marina and you will probably be able to see part of the lagoon & the CR (not the castle though, and probably not the fireworks). It is very close to the GCH & pool. This is a picture of your possible view:
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=789

I think Samoa is a great location for what you're looking for. I would word my request just like you have, but keep in mind you may not get everything you are asking for (they do their best to accommodate though). I have been told to request in order of importance, so the room assigner knows what is your priority, ie. if you want Samoa for sure, request that first, then what is next important, ie. ground floor or facing the volcano pool. If location is most important, but not necessarily Samoa specifically you could just request "first floor, near GCH". Most longhouses near the GCH are still going to put you near the volcano pool (though not necessarily right beside it)
thank you, just wondering how I should word my request. Balcony is important to us and I would like to be close to monorail and pool. The view you posted from fiji looks great!! just wondering if i should leave out longhouse altogether?!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #1178
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And with that, 3rd floor Fiji, marina side is officially our backup request if 3rd floor Samoa, volcano pool side is not available during our stay. Many thanks, maiapapaya!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #1179
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
thank you, just wondering how I should word my request. Balcony is important to us and I would like to be close to monorail and pool. The view you posted from fiji looks great!! just wondering if i should leave out longhouse altogether?!
Here's the thing - I do think it helps to make certain requests in advance. And I wish there were some way to book exactly the room we want before we arrive. But there are some things we can't control, so here's what I do. Based on the info I have, I make the best request I can (and sometimes, I make no request at all.) When I arrive, I tell the CM at the front desk (or at the CL check-in) what I'd like, and add "if possible" along with "totally OK if that's not available now - we're off to the parks and entirely willing to wait." You can see from my signature that we've stayed in a number of resorts over a number of years, and I can tell you that I haven't ever been disappointed. Not once! You'll have lots of info and backup requests by the time you arrive. If your first choice is not available, you can talk with the front desk CM about the factors that are important to you and I'm sure they will do their best to help!

Old 12-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #1180
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

m
Quote:
As I mentioned earlier I would figure out what is the most important thing you are looking for in a longhouse and put those things first in the request (eg. "balcony, near GCH). It can't hurt to also mention a specific location if you have a preference.

Pixarmom has a good idea in chatting up the CM at the front desk. You will already have a room assigned to you, but they can move you around if they have the availability. If you plan on doing this maybe don't do online check-in though. They will already have your key cards made up and it will take a bit longer to change things (they will have to print new cards, etc)

And you're welcome about the picture! There's some great locations at the Poly that sometimes get overlooked!

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 GF
Old 12-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #1181
jaz0308
Mouseketeer

pool/GCH refurb?

Hello! Has anyone heard anything about refurbs on the volcano pool or main building? We are scheduled for a trip at beginning of August and I am a total Poly lover but am worried about excessive construction taking away some of the magic I am thinking of reserving a room at bc as a backup but that would mean a totally different planning tactic! I'm hoping to hear that construction in the main areas will not be taking place this summer! Thanks for anyone who may have any info!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #1182
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

Anyone having any luck booking a discounted GV room for 2013? We've been trying for awhile and are getting anxious about our May trip!

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

Old 12-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #1183
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfor4 View Post
Anyone having any luck booking a discounted GV room for 2013? We've been trying for awhile and are getting anxious about our May trip!
We booked in march with no problem. I think there is lots of availability still. I didnt know people were having problems getting rooms. although the current discount only goes to march i think?'
Old 12-30-2012, 06:32 AM   #1184
Alli76
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We booked in march with no problem. I think there is lots of availability still. I didnt know people were having problems getting rooms. although the current discount only goes to march i think?'
If you have a Disney Visa (otherwise have to wait until Jan 3)- you can book through June I think with a discount - but during my week they only lagoon view for discount. Unfortunately for me after 4 hours on hold on Thursday I found out that club level was offering no discounts. I wasn't surprised with all the refurb going on but still was hoping for a littel pixie dust!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #1185
gjl
Mouseketeer

Having never stayed at the Poly- I'm wondering if anyone can give me ideas if TP view "non" club is a better option than Lagoon View with Club level? Thanks!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: