Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #1156
mickey1510
Earning My Ears

Who is on renovation watch which is supposed to start next month?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #1157
GinChicago
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know how long the holiday decorations will be up?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #1158
dad4dis
Mouseketeer

I can't wait to get back to the Poly in Feb!
Old 12-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #1159
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey1510 View Post
Who is on renovation watch which is supposed to start next month?
We'll be there beginning on January 26, but I'm hoping for some reports before then! I'm considering requesting Tokelau instead of Samoa this time, due to construction. The last time we stayed in Samoa was 2011, and GF DVC construction had not yet begun. I'm thinking our beautiful Samoa volcano side view may not be so beautiful anymore with the construction. Any thoughts from recent Poly guests?
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AOA/AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL/CR

Last edited by pixarmom; 12-27-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #1160
jandkmom
Mouseketeer

We just booked a sort of last-minute trip to Poly for the end of next month!!! I'm so excited. We will be celebrating both of my kids' birthdays there. We tried to get CL but nothing was available with the 35% room discount. It's okay...I love the Poly no matter where we are! I requested Tokelau though

I haven't been keeping up with the latest news...what and where are the renovations?
Old 12-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #1161
dad4dis
Mouseketeer

We requested Samoa in Feb. Is there supposed to be construction at that time? I will want to change our request if they're going to be working on it then.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #1162
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandkmom View Post
We just booked a sort of last-minute trip to Poly for the end of next month!!! I'm so excited. We will be celebrating both of my kids' birthdays there. We tried to get CL but nothing was available with the 35% room discount. It's okay...I love the Poly no matter where we are! I requested Tokelau though

I haven't been keeping up with the latest news...what and where are the renovations?
All of the longhouses at the Poly will be undergoing complete refurbs in 2013. They are starting work in January on Hawaii, that's why there was no CL available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad4dis View Post
We requested Samoa in Feb. Is there supposed to be construction at that time? I will want to change our request if they're going to be working on it then.
Tikiman just updated his page with dates of each longhouse's refurb. According to the site, Samoa will be under construction starting Feb. 3. Just a heads up on your request (the date for each longhouse's refurb is listed on their individual information page).

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Poly
Old 12-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #1163
jandkmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
All of the longhouses at the Poly will be undergoing complete refurbs in 2013. They are starting work in January on Hawaii, that's why there was no CL available.
Ah, that makes sense. Well, I'm disappointed that we can't get an upgrade but I'm glad that Hawaii is getting some much needed renovations.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #1164
KNJWDW
Mouseketeer

I wonder how long the refurbs will take? We have requested Samoa for our stay in June. Even if we don't get Samoa, I would love a refurbished room.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #1165
gypsydoodlebug
Who DOESN'T love Fraggle Rock? I have to admit, Gobo Fraggle was kinda hot...
all of a sudden I sound like a Beverly Hillbilly??!?!
I can't tell the chicks from the dudes on here

Quote:

Tikiman just updated his page with dates of each longhouse's refurb. According to the site, Samoa will be under construction starting Feb. 3. Just a heads up on your request (the date for each longhouse's refurb is listed on their individual information page).
I'm not meaning to be obtuse, but I can't find the refurb info and we were hoping for Fiji and are going Feb 23. Is there any news of a pool refurbishment? That's "crucial" in the words of my 9-year-old DD. We are in a room-only reservation so only have a few more days before the special expires.

**Newly minted VGF DVC members**
Old 12-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #1166
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNJWDW View Post
I wonder how long the refurbs will take? We have requested Samoa for our stay in June. Even if we don't get Samoa, I would love a refurbished room.
I'm going to guess about 2 1/2 months. For example, Hawaii is blocked out for CL for Jan. & Feb. I was just playing with WDW website and they have availability again for CL around mid-Mar (that's 2 1/2 months). So, based on that, if they stay on schedule and Samoa starts in Feb, they should be done by June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydoodlebug View Post
I'm not meaning to be obtuse, but I can't find the refurb info and we were hoping for Fiji and are going Feb 23. Is there any news of a pool refurbishment? That's "crucial" in the words of my 9-year-old DD. We are in a room-only reservation so only have a few more days before the special expires.
According to Tikiman's site, Figi isn't scheduled for refurb until mid-May. To find the info, when you're on each longhouse's page there is a little area with stats, eg. "Native Name", "Built", etc. The refurb date is under "Next rehab".

I think the only rumoured work on the pool for the near future is a hot tub installation at some point. The last I heard about that is that a new design is being tested at another resort and if it's good they will install similar at the Poly. I have no idea when that would be, but it sounds like you will be fine for Feb.

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Poly
Old 12-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #1167
gypsydoodlebug
Who DOESN'T love Fraggle Rock? I have to admit, Gobo Fraggle was kinda hot...
all of a sudden I sound like a Beverly Hillbilly??!?!
I can't tell the chicks from the dudes on here

Quote:
I'm going to guess about 2 1/2 months. For example, Hawaii is blocked out for CL for Jan. & Feb. I was just playing with WDW website and they have availability again for CL around mid-Mar (that's 2 1/2 months). So, based on that, if they stay on schedule and Samoa starts in Feb, they should be done by June.

According to Tikiman's site, Figi isn't scheduled for refurb until mid-May. To find the info, when you're on each longhouse's page there is a little area with stats, eg. "Native Name", "Built", etc. The refurb date is under "Next rehab".

I think the only rumoured work on the pool for the near future is a hot tub installation at some point. The last I heard about that is that a new design is being tested at another resort and if it's good they will install similar at the Poly. I have no idea when that would be, but it sounds like you will be fine for Feb.
Thank you! We have stayed at the BC & AKL the past four trips and DD chose the Poly this time, so I've been out of touch. Stormalong Bay was under pretty heavy reno last year and we would like to avoid that this time.

**Newly minted VGF DVC members**
Old 12-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #1168
Senor Tortuga
Earning My Ears

VERY grateful for this thread. Thanks!

Hi there!! Big shout out to SeaSpray, a nice couple from New England who really helped us decide on the Polynesian and boy has it worked out. Guitarrob deserves a big thanks too. I'm really grateful because I haven't gone anywhere in 12 years and this is a BIG DEAL for my family and I. REALLY appreciate all the information.

We will be at the Polynesian from Jan 7-12 staying in the Tonga house.

I notice there are not too many pictures of the Tonga house, so I'm going to try and fill in the blanks with some pics and videos. Maybe I'll help someone the same way that all the posters helped me.

Thanks again, and God bless.

Ian
p.s. If I put this reply at the wrong location, forgive me. Still learning my way around this thing.

Last edited by Senor Tortuga; 12-27-2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Left out Guitarob getting thanked! Not cool!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #1169
MichelinMan
I Am Speed - Ka-Chow!!!!

Anybody used the concierge service to book ADRs 180 days in advance? It would be less hassle for me to leave it to them, but I would like to know how reliable they are. Would I be better doing it myself (I would make sure I was online as soon as ADRs open for example - I cant see how the concierge service can do that unless they do it in advance).

I will be staying in the busy July period, so I know getting ADRs will be more difficult.

July 1994 : WDW Off-Site on Honeymoon
July 2009 : DLP Newport Bay Club
July 2011 : DLP Disneyland Hotel
July 2013 : WDW Polynesian Resort / Hard Rock Universal / Renaissance SeaWorld
Old 12-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #1170
princessap
DIS Veteran

We are staying at the poly from March 4-6 and have requested Samoa. Should I switch my request as refurb begins feb 3 and I doubt they will be done by then right?
We would like a balcony, close to monorail and pool so was recommended Samoa, anyone have any suggestions?
thanks
This is our first time staying onsite and I want it to be perfect as it took a lot of convincing to get dh to stay onsite and I want to keep staying onsite so this needs to go well....lol
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: