Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #931
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

Thank you everyone for the feedback!!

Great idea about the park maps, I will make the park maps with my routes highlighted for sure! I'm really trying to be chill, and have like 3 objectives per day, anything else we get done is a bonus!!

Is it reasonable to think we will arrive around 10AM on arrival day, drop our luggage with bell services and be at DHS by the 1:20 showing of Lights, Motors, Action!?

It is the one thing my son talks about constantly since watching the planning video, so I want to hit that first. If I can fit in Beauty and the Beast at 11:30 that would be a bonus, but it's not a dealbreaker.

15 days!!

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #932
Chicago Mo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisekayt View Post
I'm considering requesting the Fiji longhouse, marina view for our upcoming trip. Anyone who has stayed there that can offer pros/cons?

We like being closer to the action and seeing more activity from our room. Samoa will likely be under refurbishment during our dates so I don't want to request that Longhouse. Fiji is further from the TTC, but we'll be going to the MK and volocano pool more than the TTC and/or driving the rental car.
We stayed in Figi two years ago and LOVED IT close to anything you needed and quiet enough for down time!!! about a 5 minute walk to GCH!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #933
matthewhavens
Mouseketeer

Spending a week at Poly for the Princess Half Marathon with DW, DD(4) & DS(2).

Right now I've asked for Tokelau because it seems centrally located to GCH and TTC and the rooms might be bigger than others? Staying in a standard/garden view. Any suggestions on what "asks" I should include with the reservation? Any reasons to pick a different longhouse?

Also, has anyone stayed here for the Princess Half Marathon? It looks as though the route map passes by the resort twice. Suggestions for viewing locations? Does the monorail open early for the race?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #934
DaisyD
Nothing like crunchy milk in the morning!
Guess I'll be checking my swords with the luggage
I am a closet Ragamuffin eater!

I booked a last minute trip to the Poly for Dec 3-7. Just 5 days but so happy to be going! We usually do a girls trip to the Poly every year but went on a cruise last week instead. I missed WDW a lot and my husband knew it and said lets go to WDW for our anniversary! Woot! This will be the first time going to WDW without the kids so I'm looking forward to the new experience. I chose the Poly as it is just so romantic there and I love it. I think in total I've spent over 300 nights at that resort and it never gets old! I haven't been there since August 2011 so is there anything new going on I need to know about? Any renovs affecting me for the week I'm there? I did ask for my favorite building and view so hoping I get it. Only didn't get it once in all my trips so really hoping this wont be #2. LOL Anyway, just thought I'd rejoin my most favorite thread on the DIS. I am really familiar with the resort after staying there so much but nice to be up to date on anything I need to be aware of. Thanks all!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #935
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

It looks like we're probably changing our February trip from AKL to Poly. Just couldn't stay away from Poly. It really is home. Aaaaaahhhh.....

So, now I'm looking and what's going on at Poly and I'm trying to figure out the renovations/refurbs. I know that Hawaii is unbookable during that time (we usually stay CL when we stay at Poly). But, I'm wondering where I can find even tentative info about the rest of the longhouses? Tikiman doesn't show it at this point. I'm wondering about the pool as well. It seems that there are rumours about maybe the volcano pool being closed starting end of this year or early next year? We spend a lot of time at the resort and really use the pool a lot. So much that I'm considering renting a cabana for resort days. If the pool will be closed then I don't think that we want to make the switch. It'll be weird enough not staying CL but not having the feature pool will definitely make this not the trip we want. We stayed at Poly when the slide was closed and even that made us unhappy, though we did still enjoy ourselves. The whole pool being closed really would be a deal breaker for us staying there.

I'm also trying to figure out what I want for room requests. As I said, we normally stay CL so we're used to Hawaii. One of the reasons we book CL is for the location. We really like being so central. Our first request is always first floor because we really like being able to walk out the patio doors and head to the pool (we seem to always have somebody who wants to stay in the room so I don't worry about not locking up). Well, then there's the location. I was thinking of just saying facing the quiet pool. What do you think? I want to be near the GCH for refilling our mugs (since we won't be staying CL to get drinks that way) and we like walking to TTC for the Epcot monorail and busses (we haven't had good experiences with Poly busses) and we like being near the pools (either pool really). I saw a tentative refurb schedule somebody posted here before Tikiman pulled his down and it looked like the longhouses near the pools were mostly going to be refurbed Jan-Mar so I'm just not sure any longer.

Anyway, anybody have any thoughts?

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Old 11-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #936
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisekayt
I'm considering requesting the Fiji longhouse, marina view for our upcoming trip. Anyone who has stayed there that can offer pros/cons?

We like being closer to the action and seeing more activity from our room. Samoa will likely be under refurbishment during our dates so I don't want to request that Longhouse. Fiji is further from the TTC, but we'll be going to the MK and volocano pool more than the TTC and/or driving the rental car.
That's where my husband and I have stayed the past 3 times we have been. That is a great location and view!!!! I can't think of any cons except you will not want to stay at any other resort, lol. It is further from TTC, we walked there a couple times instead of riding the monorail around to TTC for the EPCOT monorail but we found that the walk is not bad at all, maybe 10 minutes max, and it's a great way to enjoy the rest of the resort.

Sent from my GalaxyS II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000,stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time,ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013.Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. Western Caribbean Cruise planned for 2014.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #937
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewhavens View Post

Right now I've asked for Tokelau because it seems centrally located to GCH and TTC and the rooms might be bigger than others? Staying in a standard/garden view. Any suggestions on what "asks" I should include with the reservation? Any reasons to pick a different longhouse?

Also, has anyone stayed here for the Princess Half Marathon? It looks as though the route map passes by the resort twice. Suggestions for viewing locations? Does the monorail open early for the race?
I'll also be there during this time. I think I stayed in Tokelau last time I was there in a castle view and liked it very much for those same reasons. This time, I've requested Rapa Nui because my kids are a bit bigger than yours and they will be much more mobile than I post race. They can very well walk to the pool with DH while I recover. I, myself, want the shortest distance between the monorail and my bed.

We should probably repost the route map question to the PHM thread and see if anyone has specifics about the route.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #938
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post

So, now I'm looking and what's going on at Poly and I'm trying to figure out the renovations/refurbs. I know that Hawaii is unbookable during that time (we usually stay CL when we stay at Poly). But, I'm wondering where I can find even tentative info about the rest of the longhouses? Tikiman doesn't show it at this point.

I'm also trying to figure out what I want for room requests. As I said, we normally stay CL so we're used to Hawaii. One of the reasons we book CL is for the location. We really like being so central. Our first request is always first floor because we really like being able to walk out the patio doors and head to the pool (we seem to always have somebody who wants to stay in the room so I don't worry about not locking up). Well, then there's the location. I was thinking of just saying facing the quiet pool. What do you think? I want to be near the GCH for refilling our mugs (since we won't be staying CL to get drinks that way) and we like walking to TTC for the Epcot monorail and busses (we haven't had good experiences with Poly busses) and we like being near the pools (either pool really). I saw a tentative refurb schedule somebody posted here before Tikiman pulled his down and it looked like the longhouses near the pools were mostly going to be refurbed Jan-Mar so I'm just not sure any longer.

Anyway, anybody have any thoughts?
We're in the same boat - wanted to book CL for January, but not available. We'd like something close to GCH with a nice view and a balcony, but not too far from TTC. I would just describe my requests without asking for a specific longhouse, but I think "nice view" is too subjective, so I identified a building. For now, we requested third floor Samoa with a volcano pool view. But if I read that Samoa is actually down before we leave in January, I'll call to request Tokelau, balcony, quiet pool view. Otherwise, I'll just talk with the CM at check-in and see what's available. We're going during a slow week and we're heading to Epcot right after check-in, so we are entirely willing to wait for our room.

The tikiman info is still there, just have to click on each longhouse individually to see the possible refurb schedule for that building. Here's what I found:

Aotearoa: 2013
Fiji: 2013
Hawaii: Jan-March 2013
Niue: Jan-March 2013
Rapa Nui: April-June 2013
Rarotonga: Feb-April 2013
Samoa: Jan-March 2013
Tahiti: March-May 2013
Tokelau: March-May 2013
Tonga: 2013 (new lounge)
Tuvalu: 2013
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon (GF/BWI!)
Old 11-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #939
KingSpeedy
Earning My Ears

I'm in a similar boat. I have a booking at the Poly for mid-May, and am hoping that by that point either everything will have been refurbished or be in the process of being done. I was thinking of adding a request on my rez to get one of the redone buildings.

Also, I'm not sure how out of date this is, but this lists the rehab as being done by mid-June. Seems to make sense that Disney wouldn't want to have too many of their rooms offline during the summer.

hxxp://media.disneywebcontent.com/StaticFiles/DTA-Domestic/pdf/D-MailPDF/IntlDmailWDWRefurbishments.pdf
Old 11-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #940
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom

We're in the same boat - wanted to book CL for January, but not available. We'd like something close to GCH with a nice view and a balcony, but not too far from TTC. I would just describe my requests without asking for a specific longhouse, but I think "nice view" is too subjective, so I identified a building. For now, we requested third floor Samoa with a volcano pool view. But if I read that Samoa is actually down before we leave in January, I'll call to request Tokelau, balcony, quiet pool view. Otherwise, I'll just talk with the CM at check-in and see what's available. We're going during a slow week and we're heading to Epcot right after check-in, so we are entirely willing to wait for our room.

The tikiman info is still there, just have to click on each longhouse individually to see the possible refurb schedule for that building. Here's what I found:

I wish there was a date for Fiji!!! For now, I'm hoping Fiji will be done before we get there, if not we'll switch to Samoa pool view.

Sent from my GalaxyS II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000,stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time,ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013.Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. Western Caribbean Cruise planned for 2014.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #941
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post

Thank you!

Well this stinks. So basically, everything around the pools will be closed during my stay late February. OK, Tokelau will be open so not EVERYTHING at the quiet pool but pretty darned close. What's that say about the pools?

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Old 11-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #942
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewhavens View Post

Got this answer from the PHM thread:
"I have not stayed at the Poly, but have run the race four times and it doesn't pass right in front, but after the MK it does come close. If you walked out the front door of the Poly through the parking lot and turned left you would be close. Hopefully some one has some better info will help out."

Sounds like maybe just going to the viewing area in the MK is a better plan, esp with little kids. The monorails should be running by then.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #943
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you!

Well this stinks. So basically, everything around the pools will be closed during my stay late February. OK, Tokelau will be open so not EVERYTHING at the quiet pool but pretty darned close. What's that say about the pools?
I am worried about this too as we are there march 3-6....I am considering switching resorts due to refurbs and pool being out of commission, it is a lot to spend and not get the full enjoyment! how will we know for sure when refurb are being done?? I asked the CM once and she said there are none in the works so not sure if she knows or not..
Old 11-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #944
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you!

I haven't seen anything regarding pool rehabs at all - hope not! I recall they did some work on the quiet pool after our January 2011 stay.
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon (GF/BWI!)
Old 11-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #945
DebbyLof428
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
I am worried about this too as we are there march 3-6....I am considering switching resorts due to refurbs and pool being out of commission, it is a lot to spend and not get the full enjoyment! how will we know for sure when refurb are being done?? I asked the CM once and she said there are none in the works so not sure if she knows or not..
It surprises me that those of us on the Disboards know more than the people that work at the Poly do sometimes

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: