Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #886
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.
 
PHLtoMCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 1,067

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbceman View Post
This is our first time staying at the Polynesian and we are very excited about it! We have been wanting to try the Poly for some time now. Last year we stayed at the Boardwalk and had an amazing view of IllumiNations from our room. My question is this, are you able to see the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom from the Poly? I have read that it's a perfect view from the beach, but then I saw last night something that said that the foliage has grown so large that the fireworks are no longer visible. I am debating between the Pirates and Pals cruise that's offered and just watching on the beach. Of course, if you can't see them from the beach, that makes the decision pretty easy!! Thanks so much for any information you might have!
I did not have this experience. We stayed at the Poly for 10 days in June and watched Wishes several times from the beach with a perfect view. The only difference that I have noticed recently is that the Wishes music they play through the speakers during the show isnt as audible as it used to be. I feel they could turn it up a bit more or replace the speakers if that's the problem. The beach/pool area can get quite crowded during Wishes so I think the noise level can also mask the sound coming from the speakers. As far as they view- no issues if you are watching from the main beach area in my opinion.
__________________
1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWI, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Poly/Sports, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2012-Poly, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT, 2014-POP, 2014-Disneyland

runDisney races - ToT 13k, ToT 10 miler, EEC, PHM, Enchanted 10k, GSC, Coast2Coast, next up....Avengers Half Marathon!
PHLtoMCO is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #887
longing4disney
Mouseketeer
 
longing4disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 381

Is there a TV Channel that we can turn on during wishes if we watch it from our TPV room? If so, may I know what is the number?
__________________
Our Family - DH , Me , DS15 , DS13 , DD6

May 1996 : Offsite, Disneyland, CA
Nov 2007 : Contemporary, WDW
Jun 2010 : Disneyland Hotel, HK Disneyland
Nov 2012 : The Poly, WDW
longing4disney is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #888
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!
 
maiapapaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: southwestern ON
Posts: 2,430

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbceman View Post
This is our first time staying at the Polynesian and we are very excited about it! We have been wanting to try the Poly for some time now. Last year we stayed at the Boardwalk and had an amazing view of IllumiNations from our room. My question is this, are you able to see the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom from the Poly? I have read that it's a perfect view from the beach, but then I saw last night something that said that the foliage has grown so large that the fireworks are no longer visible. I am debating between the Pirates and Pals cruise that's offered and just watching on the beach. Of course, if you can't see them from the beach, that makes the decision pretty easy!! Thanks so much for any information you might have!
I also don't believe this is true. We were just there two weeks ago. The fireworks are shot off over the castle. The castle is still in plain view. The only fireworks that may not be fully visible are the little ones that they fire off directly around the castle.

We actually noticed while we were there that crews are working on the island in the lagoon thinning out the trees and folliage (we wondered if it was to improve sight lines for the new GF DVC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by longing4disney View Post
Is there a TV Channel that we can turn on during wishes if we watch it from our TPV room? If so, may I know what is the number?
No, there isn't. If you are staying in Hawaii you can hear the music being broadcast from the beach if you stand out on the balcony. You can't hear the music in Tuvalu and we haven't stayed in Tahiti, so I'm not sure about that longhouse.
__________________

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
maiapapaya is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #889
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran
 
tinkermommyof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 537

Just returned yesterday from 9 great nights WDW and Poly CL. First time for MNSSHP. So much fun! We love Poly and CL so much. Just prefer Summer to Fall. Didn't swim as much as we like. Will be changing ressie for next Summer from GF SL to Poly CL. Dying to see the renovation. Miss it already. Poly is our home away from home!
__________________
tinkermommyof3 is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #890
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 10,651

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkermommyof3 View Post
Just returned yesterday from 9 great nights WDW and Poly CL. First time for MNSSHP. So much fun! We love Poly and CL so much. Just prefer Summer to Fall. Didn't swim as much as we like. Will be changing ressie for next Summer from GF SL to Poly CL. Dying to see the renovation. Miss it already. Poly is our home away from home!
I really wish I knew what the exact renovation schedule was. If I could guarantee I would have a new room by April, I'd be all over that...I think...

Glad you had a great trip!
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD10) (DD7) (DD or DS Due 1/16/15!!)


PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is online now  
Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #891
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkermommyof3 View Post
Just returned yesterday from 9 great nights WDW and Poly CL. First time for MNSSHP. So much fun! We love Poly and CL so much. Just prefer Summer to Fall. Didn't swim as much as we like. Will be changing ressie for next Summer from GF SL to Poly CL. Dying to see the renovation. Miss it already. Poly is our home away from home!
Glad you had a great time and enjoyed MNSSHP . We've gone to the Halloween party 3 times and had just as much fun the 3rd time as we did the 1st . We are trying Poly CL for the first time next summer, but even without having experience with it, I too would choose that over GF SL. I'm glad I tried SL, but I didn't care for it. We feel the Poly is "home" to us too. We've only stayed there once so far, but that was enough to get us hooked .
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #892
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran
 
tinkermommyof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
I really wish I knew what the exact renovation schedule was. If I could guarantee I would have a new room by April, I'd be all over that...I think...

Glad you had a great trip!

With or without a renovation, the rooms are still in good condition. The building and location are lovely. The lounge is amazing--food, watching wishes, etc. (not biased or anything!) I never regret staying at the Polynesian.
__________________
tinkermommyof3 is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #893
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran
 
tinkermommyof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
Glad you had a great time and enjoyed MNSSHP . We've gone to the Halloween party 3 times and had just as much fun the 3rd time as we did the 1st . We are trying Poly CL for the first time next summer, but even without having experience with it, I too would choose that over GF SL. I'm glad I tried SL, but I didn't care for it. We feel the Poly is "home" to us too. We've only stayed there once so far, but that was enough to get us hooked .

I hope you end up loving Poly CL as much as we do. I have no doubt that you will since you already are a die hard Poly lover. This will just be the icing on the cake.
__________________
tinkermommyof3 is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #894
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 10,651

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkermommyof3 View Post
With or without a renovation, the rooms are still in good condition. The building and location are lovely. The lounge is amazing--food, watching wishes, etc. (not biased or anything!) I never regret staying at the Polynesian.
***Sigh***
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD10) (DD7) (DD or DS Due 1/16/15!!)


PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is online now  
Old 11-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #895
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic
 
Tinkerbellie16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mile High Rockies
Posts: 3,744

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2DISNEY View Post
TINKERBELLIE16

Thanks for your mini trip report!
So sorry the weather was icky, no swimming for you!
It's funny you mentioned the "guide" who walks/talks to you while you go through the entrance. I'm one of those who likes to stand and drink it all in when I arrive. Don't talk to me! Lol!
Glad to hear that you didn't have any major monorail issues. Were the parks crowded? Did you eat at O'Hana's? Yum!
Welcome home!
We only went to MNSSHP one night and Epcot for a morning/evening on a Monday during Food & Wine. MNSSHP was great - as always!!! Love that you get on rides immediately. Some of the lines for candy were a wee bit long, but it only took 2 minutes to get through them. Epcot during food and wine is always more crowded. The walkway around the lake is narrow as it is and with all the booths, it creates more congestion but going on a Monday was not bad. The lines for the attractions were very quick though! Now we did go to DTD on a Sunday around lunch time and it was the most packed I have ever seen it (even compared to a weekend evening!) Must be the local crowd going on a Sunday??

We did not eat at Ohanas. While I would have loved to, I did not plan this trip very far in advance and I didn't want to have any timed reservations to stick to. On a longer trip, I don't mind but for such a short trip, we didn't want to be tied down to ADRs. And what a fabulous surprise that Kona sushi bar did a to go order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
Tinkerbellie16 Loved your review. I always like to read your take on things as I agree with so many of your observations. I feel the same way about the bathrooms. I hope the refurb doesn't screw up the counterspace and the fully encompassing bathroom.......but given Tikiman said the bathrooms were getting a new design that included moving plumbing and double sinks.....looks like we may be in the minority who like the current design. Oh well. Glad you had a nice trip
It will be interesting to see what the refurb has in store for the Poly! Even the bellman mentioned that the room I was checking into would not be the same the next time I visited (but he didn't state a date range for Tokelau refurb so can't give any insight there).
__________________
DH ME DS (11) DD (10)


6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #896
pixarmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,176

Mousemommy, I thought I read somewhere that the refurb schedule was too uncertain, so he might take these dates down, but this is what's currently on TM's site:

Aotearoa: 2013
Fiji: 2013
Hawaii: Jan-March 2013
Niue: Jan-March 2013
Rapa Nui: April-June 2013
Rarotonga: Feb-April 2013
Samoa: Jan-March 2013
Tahiti: March-May 2013
Tokelau: March-May 2013
Tonga: 2013 (new lounge)
Tuvalu: 2013
__________________
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/BWI!)
pixarmom is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #897
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 10,651

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
Mousemommy, I thought I read somewhere that the refurb schedule was too uncertain, so he might take these dates down, but this is what's currently on TM's site:

Aotearoa: 2013
Fiji: 2013
Hawaii: Jan-March 2013
Niue: Jan-March 2013
Rapa Nui: April-June 2013
Rarotonga: Feb-April 2013
Samoa: Jan-March 2013
Tahiti: March-May 2013
Tokelau: March-May 2013
Tonga: 2013 (new lounge)
Tuvalu: 2013
Thanks! I knew about these dates, but I think you are right in that he is probably going to take these down because of the uncertainty...However, these dates do kind of make sense because most of the standard/GV buildings are out of commission during our stay in April (at least there is alot of overlap) and I can't get a GV room on the military discount during my time period...so it stands to reason that it's because so many of the longhouses will be out of commission as it is...
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD10) (DD7) (DD or DS Due 1/16/15!!)


PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is online now  
Old 11-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #898
pixarmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Thanks! I knew about these dates, but I think you are right in that he is probably going to take these down because of the uncertainty...However, these dates do kind of make sense because most of the standard/GV buildings are out of commission during our stay in April (at least there is alot of overlap) and I can't get a GV room on the military discount during my time period...so it stands to reason that it's because so many of the longhouses will be out of commission as it is...
That makes sense. And of course, we haven't been able to book CL in January, which matches the reports that Hawaii is closed for rehab during that time. Good thing is that there are so many good locations and longhouses at Poly! (But that doesn't stop me from following refurb news - always better to know what to expect!)
__________________
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/BWI!)
pixarmom is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #899
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkermommyof3 View Post
I hope you end up loving Poly CL as much as we do. I have no doubt that you will since you already are a die hard Poly lover. This will just be the icing on the cake.
I think we will love it and I can't wait to try it . We are there in July so it will be nice to be so close to the volcano pool as we hang out at the pool alot and we loved that location/area when we stayed in Samoa .
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #900
mickey1510
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 28

Will the resort feel like a ghost town with all of the Longhouses being closed in March and April?
mickey1510 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: