Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #871
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
I would call and put in your request now. No need to wait. Given your list, I would suggest "balcony near pool and GCH. That would most likely put you in Samoa, Roratonga, or Tokelau because pool could mean Volcano pool or the East pool. All are great locations for your needs. Samoa would be a perfect fit but given the uncertainty of the refurb schedule, this gives the CMs several choices to meet your needs.

When Poly does room refurbs, they takes whole longhouses out of inventory and they do not reopen until the whole longhouse is complete so guests are not inconvenienced by the construction. According to Tikiman, they are planning a faster-than-typical refurb schedule so that might mean more than one longhouse out of inventory at a time which is why making the room requests as stated above even more important. Happy planning
When i called before I said balcony and samoa, when I call back do I just say "can you change my request to balcony, near pool and GCH (will that include monorail)???

my DH thinks i am overthinking this as we are only there two nights....we have an early BBB the one park day so I would like to be close to monorail for that....but I keep telling myself it is our first time onsite and we are staying at the Poly!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #872
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
When i called before I said balcony and samoa, when I call back do I just say "can you change my request to balcony, near pool and GCH (will that include monorail)???

Yes. And by saying GCH, that puts you near the monorail station which is located on the second floor of the GCH(Grand Ceremonial House). The GCH also contains check-in, restaurants, and shopping.

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #873
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes. And by saying GCH, that puts you near the monorail station which is located on the second floor of the GCH(Grand Ceremonial House). The GCH also contains check-in, restaurants, and shopping.
thanks...should I leave out a specific longhouse altogether or say samoa if available?? we have three young daughters so being close to everything is important to us. thanks
Old 11-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #874
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
my DH thinks i am overthinking this as we are only there two nights....
Your DH sounds like a wise man.

Quote:
but I keep telling myself it is our first time onsite and we are staying at the Poly!
Now that's the attitude!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #875
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

I have to step up and say something nice about Tahiti--it's my favorite! Okay, I'd be willing to try Hawaii, you know, just for comparison. And we did stay once in Rapa Nui, when Tahiti was being renovated.

I don't find it cumbersome to walk to the GCH for the poo/breakfast/monorail/whatever. YMMV, but it's a pleasant walk through lush foliage. We liked the proximity to the TTC. With Rapa Nui, you're even closer. We ended up in a HA room, which was fine, but I didn't care for it was much as the standard rooms.

For the newbies, the individual longhouses really lend an air of relaxation. You feel like you're very away from the hustle and bustle of crowds, even when you're on your patio or deck. In that sense, it's most like OKW (of the ones I've personally stayed at). You genuinely feel like you're on an island, with thte sandy beach and palm trees and so forth.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #876
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap

thanks...should I leave out a specific longhouse altogether or say samoa if available?? we have three young daughters so being close to everything is important to us. thanks
If Samoa is not available you can always request Fiji. It's one of the closest buildings to the GCH but on the opposite side of Samoa. If you request marina view the view is the back of the volcano pool. That's the building we always stay in.

Sent from my GalaxyS II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise in 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise in 2014. BC stay and Eastern Caribbean Cruise in 2015!!

Old 11-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #877
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The reservation system really does not have a lot of space for the requests so making it too wordy isn't advised. If it were me, I would leave off Samoa. I understand having 3 young children but believe me, no longhouse is very far from your needs. Samoa is great for being next to both pools. Roratonga is actually adjacent to the GCH. Tokelau borders the East pool AND has larger rooms than Samoa and Roratonga. They all meet your criteria for the room assigners and give them more inventory to work with. All have their own advantages.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #878
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Being close to everything is important to us to.

In that regard, my top choices were Samoa, Tokelou and Rarotonga (we also want a balcony).

Then, I noticed that all of those longhouses border the quiet pool.

I also noted that all third floor rooms have balconies.

So I requested, "third floor on a longhouse close to the quiet pool."

I'm hoping this will give us greater odds of getting our request granted than if we were to requet a specific longhouse (it even covers us if we're lucky enough to get pixie dusted to CL because the Hawaii longhouse also borders the quiet pool).
Old 11-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #879
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
Being close to everything is important to us to.

In that regard, my top choices were Samoa, Tokelou and Rarotonga (we also want a balcony).

Then, I noticed that all of those longhouses border the quiet pool.

I also noted that all third floor rooms have balconies.

So I requested, "third floor on a longhouse close to the quiet pool."

I'm hoping this will give us greater odds of getting our request granted than if we were to requet a specific longhouse (it even covers us if we're lucky enough to get pixie dusted to CL because the Hawaii longhouse also borders the quiet pool).
Can u update me with what happens and where u end up please!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #880
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The reservation system really does not have a lot of space for the requests so making it too wordy isn't advised. If it were me, I would leave off Samoa. I understand having 3 young children but believe me, no longhouse is very far from your needs. Samoa is great for being next to both pools. Roratonga is actually adjacent to the GCH. Tokelau borders the East pool AND has larger rooms than Samoa and Roratonga. They all meet your criteria for the room assigners and give them more inventory to work with. All have their own advantages.
what do u think i should request then? balcony, close to gch and pool?
Old 11-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #881
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
what do u think i should request then? balcony, close to gch and pool?
Yes

Old 11-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #882
jillianml
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I know everyone is always very concerned about choosing a specific longhouse...especially those who are newbies to the Poly and more familiar with the spread out resorts at Values and Mods. Poly is not very spread out. It is quite compact in comparison. Every longhouse is closer/further from different points of interest like pools, GCH and TTC but honestly the walk is minimal anywhere.

Given the uncertainty of the refurb schedule, my advice would be to request the other needs.....such as close to pool, close to TTC, close to GCH, balcony, monorail view, etc. This gives the staff a better understanding of what you need and more rooms in the inventory to choose from. If you request a longhouse that is out of inventory because of refurb or guest capacity, the staff has no insight on why you chose that longhouse. KWIM?

We have stayed in both Aotearoa and Tokelau and loved both locations for different reasons. There is no bad location at the Poly and each longhouse has its own view/location personality that will give you a unique experience. I wouldn't sweat it. Know that if you get to your room and really dislike the view or location, you can walk back to the lobby and ask for a new room. The CMs really do want you to have a magical vacation and will work to accomodate your needs.
Thank you,this is great advice!We are going to be staying for the 1st time at the poly march 20 th to 24!Also the 1st time bringing a toddler lol!Its just gonna be me (mom) DD 13 and 23 month old DD!My husband doesnt do Disney but doesnt stop us this our 3 rd trip without him lol!On the 4 th day we are switching AOA nemo suite and my brother is joining us for 4 days so excited!I picked the poly to be close to the magic kingdom,thought its probably gonna be the park of choice with a lil one!Think I will just request something close to GCH.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #883
kbceman
Earning My Ears

This is our first time staying at the Polynesian and we are very excited about it! We have been wanting to try the Poly for some time now. Last year we stayed at the Boardwalk and had an amazing view of IllumiNations from our room. My question is this, are you able to see the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom from the Poly? I have read that it's a perfect view from the beach, but then I saw last night something that said that the foliage has grown so large that the fireworks are no longer visible. I am debating between the Pirates and Pals cruise that's offered and just watching on the beach. Of course, if you can't see them from the beach, that makes the decision pretty easy!! Thanks so much for any information you might have!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #884
AshleyD1983
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbceman
This is our first time staying at the Polynesian and we are very excited about it! We have been wanting to try the Poly for some time now. Last year we stayed at the Boardwalk and had an amazing view of IllumiNations from our room. My question is this, are you able to see the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom from the Poly? I have read that it's a perfect view from the beach, but then I saw last night something that said that the foliage has grown so large that the fireworks are no longer visible. I am debating between the Pirates and Pals cruise that's offered and just watching on the beach. Of course, if you can't see them from the beach, that makes the decision pretty easy!! Thanks so much for any information you might have!
When we were there in April we were able to view the fireworks with no problem at all.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #885
camdensmom
DIS Veteran

We stayed 3rd floor MK view in Tahiti in December 2007. I'm hoping for the same location for this trip. I loved that it was away from the hustle and bustle and that we could easily get to TTC and take the boat or the monorail. I also enjoyed the walk to the GCH. I felt like we were getting to experience the resort and don't know that I would say the same at a closer longhouse.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: