Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #856
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longing4disney View Post
27 days to our trip and poly stay! Yippee!
Everyone seems to be recommending Samoa or Tokelau. We booked TPV and have requested for Tahiti. I am getting nervous and now really unsure if I am making the right request. I really want this trip to be great! Hmmmmmm..............
We're requesting Samoa or Tokelau because we booked a garden/standard view and because it is important for us to be relatively close to GCH. Tahiti would definitely be in the running if we booked TPV and were less concerned about proximity to the GCH.
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AOA/AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL/CR
Old 11-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #857
longing4disney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
We're requesting Samoa or Tokelau because we booked a garden/standard view and because it is important for us to be relatively close to GCH. Tahiti would definitely be in the running if we booked TPV and were less concerned about proximity to the GCH.
Thanks. Is there a longhouse that has TPV as well as being near to GCH? I am getting greedy

May 1996 : Offsite, Disneyland, CA
Nov 2007 : Contemporary, WDW
Jun 2010 : Disneyland Hotel, HK Disneyland
Nov 2012 : The Poly, WDW
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #858
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
Hi princessap! We're returning to Poly in January and requested Samoa. But Tikiman's site reports that the Samoa refurb is scheduled for January through March. But who knows, so my plan is to keep the Samoa request on our reservation and if it's not available when we arrive, have backup requests in mind to discuss with the CM at the front desk. Looks like Tokelau refurb may be scheduled for March - May, so I think that will be our backup request. I like the central location of Tokelau and it looks like it offers some great garden views. Maybe it will still be available for your dates, since your stay is so early in March.
Thanks....I requested balcony and then Samoa....should I call back and add other stuff on??
Old 11-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #859
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
I know everyone is always very concerned about choosing a specific longhouse...especially those who are newbies to the Poly and more familiar with the spread out resorts at Values and Mods. Poly is not very spread out. It is quite compact in comparison. Every longhouse is closer/further from different points of interest like pools, GCH and TTC but honestly the walk is minimal anywhere.

Given the uncertainty of the refurb schedule, my advice would be to request the other needs.....such as close to pool, close to TTC, close to GCH, balcony, monorail view, etc. This gives the staff a better understanding of what you need and more rooms in the inventory to choose from. If you request a longhouse that is out of inventory because of refurb or guest capacity, the staff has no insight on why you chose that longhouse. KWIM?

We have stayed in both Aotearoa and Tokelau and loved both locations for different reasons. There is no bad location at the Poly and each longhouse has its own view/location personality that will give you a unique experience. I wouldn't sweat it. Know that if you get to your room and really dislike the view or location, you can walk back to the lobby and ask for a new room. The CMs really do want you to have a magical vacation and will work to accomodate your needs.
we are going March 4-6 and I requested balcony and Samoa...should I call back and add on other requests? with three young daughters I would like to be close to pool and monorail...

Or should I wait until the ten days before we go (I read somewhere that requests should be done within ten days of arriving but not sure how true this is??)
Old 11-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #860
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks. Is there a longhouse that has TPV as well as being near to GCH? I am getting greedy
I've always been a garden view girl at Poly, so I don't have personal experience with TPV. I've read that Aotearoa has both TPV and is close to GCH, but again, I don't have personal experience. Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
Thanks....I requested balcony and then Samoa....should I call back and add other stuff on??
I think graceandcarolinesmom has a good point about describing the factors that are important to you instead of a particular longhouse. I always describe factors when we make a request at BC (full balcony) and BWI CL (boardwalk view) because I can express those preferences in objective terms. For the other resorts in my signature, I don't make any requests. But at Poly, it's more difficult to articulate our requests in objective terms. Our non-longhouse request would be "balcony, close to GCH, nice view." Because "nice view" is subjective, and even "pool view" can mean different things, I request Samoa, balcony, volcano pool side. I know that view is nice and I like it! But if your priorities are "balcony, close to GCH, close to pool," then you could say exactly that - those are all relatively objective terms.

I also agree that at Poly, most rooms are great - both for views and location. Many times, I've just left it to the tiki gods and I've always been happy. We feel like everything is really close, so really no problem walking to the monorail (either TTC or GCH.) We love to walk! The only reason we want to stay close to GCH is that, if not staying CL, we like the proximity to Captain Cook's for refill mugs and breakfast. But it's not a huge issue - nothing is that far away.
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

Old 11-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #861
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Everyone seems to be recommending Samoa or Tokelau. We booked TPV and have requested for Tahiti. I am getting nervous and now really unsure if I am making the right request. I really want this trip to be great! Hmmmmmm..............
We loved Samoa and that would be my first request for a standard/gv room, but IMO, there's no bad location at the Poly so I think you would be just as happy in Tahiti as the other two .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
I know everyone is always very concerned about choosing a specific longhouse...especially those who are newbies to the Poly and more familiar with the spread out resorts at Values and Mods. Poly is not very spread out. It is quite compact in comparison. Every longhouse is closer/further from different points of interest like pools, GCH and TTC but honestly the walk is minimal anywhere.

Given the uncertainty of the refurb schedule, my advice would be to request the other needs.....such as close to pool, close to TTC, close to GCH, balcony, monorail view, etc. This gives the staff a better understanding of what you need and more rooms in the inventory to choose from. If you request a longhouse that is out of inventory because of refurb or guest capacity, the staff has no insight on why you chose that longhouse. KWIM?

We have stayed in both Aotearoa and Tokelau and loved both locations for different reasons. There is no bad location at the Poly and each longhouse has its own view/location personality that will give you a unique experience. I wouldn't sweat it. Know that if you get to your room and really dislike the view or location, you can walk back to the lobby and ask for a new room. The CMs really do want you to have a magical vacation and will work to accomodate your needs.
I agree .

Quote:
we are going March 4-6 and I requested balcony and Samoa...should I call back and add on other requests? with three young daughters I would like to be close to pool and monorail...

Or should I wait until the ten days before we go (I read somewhere that requests should be done within ten days of arriving but not sure how true this is??)
If being close to the pool and GCH is important, I would definitely put those requests on there. It doesn't hurt and can only help because if your longhouse choice can't be met, the CM will see why you requested that particular building and can possibly put you in one that is still close to the pool and GCH .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 11-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #862
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I like to call CRO with my requests as soon as I book, and then I call back shortly before the trip (10 days or so) to confirm that the request is in the system.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #863
LoveMickeyMouse
Love taking my boys to see Mickey!!

Quote:
We stayed in the Tahiti building several years in a row. We liked the location for the more private beach. However, it was a hike to the main pool and GCH. We stayed in the summer last year, and found ourselves buying drinks from the machine in our building, instead of walking that far in the heat to fill our mugs at Captain Cooks. That is why we switched to CL this year. It was SO GREAT to be in the Hawaii building, since the pool was just steps away, but we still had our TPV. Also, we didn't hear the boat horns as much as Tahiti (this would keep me awake at night).
Old 11-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #864
AshleyD1983
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longing4disney
Personally we loved Tahiti and would definitely request it again in the future. I think your preference will depend on where you will spend most of your time and what you want to be closest to. Our main reason for loving Tahiti so much was the close location to the TTC. Our son was 3 so ease of transportation was one of our priorities. We also loved Tahiti because of the great views of the MK with the quiet, more private beach below. It was a very quiet location. We had a TPV 3rd floor room. I really enjoyed just sitting on the balcony and taking it all in. For us Tahiti would be hard to beat.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #865
Debrn
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Stayed Tahiti TPV last March. Had requested 3rd floor but had 1st floor and absolutely loved it. You will love Tahiti
10/10 BWV/BLT
03/12 Poly TPV, 10/12 Pop/Dolphin
02/13 AKV
03/13 YC CL,Dolphin/CSR

ME &DBF DD 13DS 10
Old 11-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #866
longing4disney
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your reassurance everyone. We chose Tahiti because we want TPV and it seems to to the best non CL TPV building. Proximity to TTC is also welcomed because it will make our visit to Epcot so much easier. Just concern about the distance to GCH to grab breakfast and fill our mugs. Oh well, we'll just assign our boys as runners and maybe DH can go grab bf for the family when the rest of us are getting ready .
We stayed at CR on our last trip and went to Ohana for bf. when we saw the poly grounds, we all agreed we'll stay at poly if we ever visit again!
Wow can't believe we are making the 24 hr journey to WDW again after 5 yrs! i can't wait to be there!

May 1996 : Offsite, Disneyland, CA
Nov 2007 : Contemporary, WDW
Jun 2010 : Disneyland Hotel, HK Disneyland
Nov 2012 : The Poly, WDW
Old 11-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #867
GrandCanyon
Mouseketeer

Question

Thank you.

Last edited by GrandCanyon; 11-04-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #868
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Single digit dance !!!!! 8 days!!!!
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
Old 11-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #869
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I would call and put in your request now. No need to wait. Given your list, I would suggest "balcony near pool and GCH. That would most likely put you in Samoa, Roratonga, or Tokelau because pool could mean Volcano pool or the East pool. All are great locations for your needs. Samoa would be a perfect fit but given the uncertainty of the refurb schedule, this gives the CMs several choices to meet your needs.

When Poly does room refurbs, they takes whole longhouses out of inventory and they do not reopen until the whole longhouse is complete so guests are not inconvenienced by the construction. According to Tikiman, they are planning a faster-than-typical refurb schedule so that might mean more than one longhouse out of inventory at a time which is why making the room requests as stated above even more important. Happy planning

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014
Old 11-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #870
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Tinkerbellie16 Loved your review. I always like to read your take on things as I agree with so many of your observations. I feel the same way about the bathrooms. I hope the refurb doesn't screw up the counterspace and the fully encompassing bathroom.......but given Tikiman said the bathrooms were getting a new design that included moving plumbing and double sinks.....looks like we may be in the minority who like the current design. Oh well. Glad you had a nice trip

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: